Gold GC December Roll Over 12-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold GC December Roll Over 12-12

Been trying to figure out why GC wants to roll to the December contract on 9/28/2012. I even went into the contract months - removed the 12-12 contract - restarted Ninja, and it put the 12-12 contract back with a date of 9/28/12.

Since there are no other contracts between 08-12 and 12-12, then clients are going to have an issue with roll-over - as the roll-over will occur after 08-12 has expired.

Not sure what the date is supposed to be - but I went ahead and rolled as of 7/30 manually today.

After I did that, here is what GC looks like now:

Looks like NT has the wrong date in your master file at Ninja - or I'm not reading something right.

John

Thanks for the post John - you're unfortunately correct here - the date will be updated with our next NT7 release. Until then please use the manual date you've inserted in your database.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Why do you want to update the date? The date is correct, as the Gold October contract is illiquid and cannot be traded. Please have a look at the contract volume.

Volume today until 11:50 EST

Aug 12 contract : 12,000 (old contract)
      Sep 12 contract : 500 (illiquid)
      Oct 12 contract : 2,000 (illiquid)
      Dec 12 : 52,000 (new contract)

There are 12 monthly contracts for Gold futures, out of which five are liquid.

February
      April
      June
      August
      December

There are already false rollover dates for many other contracts. Is there nobody with NinjaTrader who trades futures? If somebody wants to trade the illiquid october contract, then he/she should add that contract him/herself..

Please do not change it with your next release !!!

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      Thanks for the post John - you're unfortunately correct here - the date will be updated with our next NT7 release. Until then please use the manual date you've inserted in your database.
      Last edited by Harry; 07-30-2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Hi Harry, that's correct October will not be tracked in our continuous contract for the non liquidity reasons - we will then directly roll into 12-12 as most providers do.

Comment

Harry,

I don't even have October on my list of contract months in the Instrument Manager - so not sure where you got yours.

Comment

I knew something was wrong.. Harry how did you figure out that today was the day to rollover the contract to 12/12? Is there a website that tells you this?

Comment

Bougie, I just rolled today because I wasn't sure when it supposed to roll. ThinkorSwim rolled last Thursday I think, but I had a trade that I wanted included in my Strategy Analyzer from Thursday, so I just decided to do it today. We will have to wait for the next update to have Ninja correct the date.

Unless someone at Ninja can tell us what the date will be?

Comment

Originally posted by bougie View Post
                I knew something was wrong.. Harry how did you figure out that today was the day to rollover the contract to 12/12? Is there a website that tells you this?
                The gold futures are traded at CME, an indeed CME has a website with a product calendar for each instrument.

From the product calendar I can see that first notice date for the GC Q12 gold futures (July contract) is tomorrow. Most traders do not like to get delivered, so they will roll prior to first notice date. Latest date possible is today.

Therefore I did expect that volume would switch to the new contract latest today, as it always switches for this reason. Of course, I did not know, whether it would switch on Friday or today, but it is not so difficult to check it by opening an intraday chart.

Comment

Ok great, thanks alot Harry... I took a trade friday, and then today I could see something wasn't right so I traded CL instead.. Thanks for clearing this up

Comment

the same problem

I have the same problem.
                    Worse is that when I change the date manually in GC12-12 and after switching off and on NT there is again the old date (wrong date).

Makes a big problem with datafeed ... Do not ever let go of ATM strategies.
                    When released new versions of NT, please?

I can not trade until the gold market ...

thanks for reply

Comment

Originally posted by Maxwell View Post
                      Worse is that when I change the date manually in GC12-12 and after switching off and on NT there is again the old date (wrong date).
                      That shouldn't be happening, the new rollover date should be saved. Are you sure you're clicking 'OK' and not 'Cancel' on the Instrument Manager/Editor windows?

Comment

Hello,

Are you reporting that it automtically switching back the 12-12 rollover date? What did you change it to?

Can you please try again to set the 12-12 rollover date to 07/30/2012.

You can do this by going to Tools--> Instrument Manager--> locate the instrument and select 'Edit'.

From the Instrument Editor, click on the Misc tab--> scroll down the the "Contract Months" section.

Click here for more information on Understanding the Misc tab > Contract Months

You will want to edit the 12-12 roll over date to 7/30/12 and then press "OK"

Once you have made this change, you can right click on your charted instrument and select 'reload all historical data'.

After doing so, please restart NinjaTrader and check the roll over date as this should still say 7/30/12 as you had set.

We do not have a release date for the next release of NinjaTrader at this time.
                        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Everything I've done well ...

The main problem is that the current contract is led by GC 08-12
                          When I open both of them, so while I have the current price GC12 GC-12 and 08-12, but historical data is downloaded from the datafeed GC 08-12
                          Price GC 12-12 is different, so the price will JUMP to the price of the GC 12-12 and enter "reload all historical data" on GC 12-12 again "download data from the old delivery month.
                          So the data are not linked, you can not run strategy ...
                          When the contract ceases trading in August, so there will likely be a "hole" ... the damned until September 28, 2012 ..

I have a Zen-Fire connection. Changing the date in the Instrument magnager does not help ..

You can try on your PC ...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Maxwell, what merge settings have you then used for the GC master instrument in your Instrument Manager and as global policy under Tools > Options > Data?

Comment

I have merge back adjusted..

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by JoMoon2024, Today, 06:56 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post JoMoon2024  
                              Started by Haiasi, 04-25-2024, 06:53 PM