Interactive Brokers Gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello SmartPips,

Here is the unique ID to track this suggestion is # 641. If you would like to check on the status of this suggestion you can write us an email to support [at] ninjatrader [dot] com and we can get back with you on this.

While we do have a number of people that use this method and it working, it is just not officially supported.
    JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

i know about the workaround, but requires manual restarts every day at a specific time.
      IB Gateway should be the proper solution.
      Multicharts started supporting it long long time ago.

Comment

Hello SmartPips,

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Please use machine name (or IP) in place of localhost (or 127.0.0.1) for IB connection setting. NT7 won't try to launch TWS this way (thinks TWS is running remotely).

Cheers,

Comment

IB-Gateway... what purpose?

Currently, the NInjatrader API for IB LLC only utilizes the snapshot portion of their data stream to populate their NinjaCharts. Since there is no time stamps associated with snapshot data, the Open/High/Low/Close of the lower time frame bars are always plotted incorrectly in NinjaCharts. So, I too would like to see Ninja create a better API that also utilizes the Time&Sales kernel within their market data streams, which apparently updates every 4 seconds. IB has their own chart program that utilizes this same T&S kernel, so it is obviously possible. The streaming snapshot data is, however, a great way to populate a price ladder like SuperDom because the bid/ask info is so timely and uniquely current to the exchange servers like CME and ICE. But charts are important too, and many of the indicators I cherish must have accurate O/H/L/C info to be trustworthy.

If using the Gateway actually provided a means to this T&S data for populating NinjaCharts, I would very much like to use it. But I don't see how Ninja would read IB's data stream any differently through the Gateway. I only mention this subject in relation to IB and Ninjatrader with the hopes of adding greater awareness for the need of something new by NinjaTrader for IB API to address these shortcomings...

If anyone understands this problem in further detail and would like to discuss, please feel free to respond

Will

Comment

Interactive Brokers Gateway

I have a lifetime license for NT, but we really need this feature to stabilize round the clock trading, especially futures and forex.

When do you think this feature might be added? If it isn't added, what platforms are people moving to?

Thanks,
              Mo

Comment

If you read this thread you will get the alternates.

I do not understand why NinjaTrader is not putting any effort even after so many years to support IB Gateway.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartPips View Post
                  If you read this thread you will get the alternates.

I do not understand why NinjaTrader is not putting any effort even after so many years to support IB Gateway.

Multicharts supports IB gateway function, multi threading support!!....and no restarting !!!

Ninjatrader has been taking way too long in adding support for IB gateway....disgraceful !!

Comment

Hello joemiami,

Thanks for your feedback.

While, I do not know of the exact reason, I believe the reason why the IB Gateway is not fully supported is for quality control purposes as NinjaTrader 7 was not initially designed to use the IB Gateway. It is not to say that the IB Gateway will not work, but it is something adds an additional level of testing and checking the IB API which can change drastically with new versions being releases frequently.

Most of our Development efforts are going to be focused on NinjaTrader 8, so it is very unlikely that the IB Gateway will be supported on NinjaTrader 7, but we do have a number of users connecting via the IB Gateway.

With that said, our development is heavily considering adding support to the IB Gateway in the next major release of NinjaTrader, NinjaTrader 8.

Thanks everyone for your patience and understanding.

Comment

I would like this support as well...

I was just messing around with IB connection and was disappointed to see IB Gateway was not supported. I use a couple of other platforms (not the oft quoted MultiCharts) that support it. I hope this gets attention soon. Seems like it would also fix the silly "white label" issue that some of us have as well. (I don't like having to use the system Title Bar just to make the connection work...)

Comment

I just contacted Interactive Brokers and negotiated to take out the 'middle man' advisory role. This will also remove the white label. And probably saves you a bunch in commission.

Also, I use TWS Gateway just fine. You need to open a papertrading account. Then log in to TWS with your papertrading account, and log in to gateway with your live account. Then make a connection from Ninjatrader to Gateway and you should be able to connect just fine. Then you can close the TWS application.

Good luck.

Comment

Using Gateway

I have an IB advisor account and have managed to connect to IB Gateway. I will see how stable it is and report to you guys. I know that IB Controller is being used out there and have tried to get it to work without success sofar. So trying the gateway connection approach to enable me to avoid the autologoff problem.

IB is one of the largest brokers and I agree totally with other members of this forum that NT should have an IB Gateway supported connection as a priority. We dont need more indicators - we need 24 hour stable connections to large brokers. Period. This issue will apparently be solved in the NT 8 release whenever it comes.
                          Last edited by elliot5; 11-19-2014, 02:20 AM. Reason: NT 8 update

Comment

I totally agree with forum members Everington_F and Siroki in their posts in this thread. What we need is a stable and reliable connection to a large and safe broker like Interactive Brokers, safety of money is most important too. We also really need a simple and easy connection to Interactive Brokers gateway API, the same type of simple and reliable connection as we currently have to the Continuum API. Connection stability is critical. Also we don't want to have to re-start ninja or any other program every day as this can cause additional automated trading failures too. Interactive brokers is one of the largest brokers in the "World" which means they are very safe and have large resources and adjusted equity capital buffer and offer far more futures markets to trade. Thanks in advance if this "connection problem" can be dealt with properly in NinjaTrader 8 release.
                            Last edited by Rocket130713; 11-22-2015, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Also just wanted to chime in with the hope that the "powers that be" at NT will embrace IBGW. I've been using it mostly successfully for at least 6 months. The use of IBGW makes for a nearly perfect solution for me, I run it on a Linux server with a couple home grown java tools that also connect to it. That combination essentially runs indefinitely, however this morning I had a hiccup with NT, hence my search for any type of official support from the NT folks.

I've largely reduced my need for NT however I have three "indicators" that I haven't taken the time to re-write on a different platform, frankly this is where NT shines for me. Anyway I also have a lifetime license so obviously there's no incentive for the NT gang to support IBGW, they don't care if I leave NT or not.

Comment

what about for NEW customers that buy a life-time license for Ninja. Ninja will make much more money from selling life-time licenses in the future if they offer their new customers the option to connect Ninjatrader 8 to the interactive brokers Gateway API in a simple, easy and reliable fashion, this is because "interactive brokers" broker is a large and safe broker option.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by FishTrade, Yesterday, 11:11 PM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post FishTrade  
                                Started by Graci117, Today, 09:02 PM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred