Collapse

Using MA to identify stocks with specific characteristics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right you can't "turn on a MA" from an indicator or strategy. It only has access to the input data you feed it from the instrument you enable it on.

An indicator or strategy is a black box system that is completely separated from everything else and works completely on its own.

Cross communication from windows in NinjaTrader is not officially supported.

-Brett

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
      Right you can't "turn on a MA" from an indicator or strategy. It only has access to the input data you feed it from the instrument you enable it on.

An indicator or strategy is a black box system that is completely separated from everything else and works completely on its own.

Cross communication from windows in NinjaTrader is not officially supported.

-Brett
      OK. I admit that I'm a little surprised, but if that's the case then that's the case.

I would suggest that in future versions you consider ways to allow the individual NT modules to be scripted, or at least be able to share data (e.g., the output of one unit can be easily accessed by other units).

Is your indication that it is not officially supported mean that it can be done but not by NT support staff?

Comment

Hello,

There is generally always a way to do something in C# programming or NinjaScript. Where there is a will there is a way. Since there are so many ways people can use c# we have to draw a line in the sand of what we can assist with and support and what we cannot. This line is what is in our help guide is what we can support.

Anything outside of the help guide we do not support, it doesn't mean that it cannot be done simply means I cannot assist you with doing it. That however doesnt mean I cannot provide hints and helpful suggestion to go above and beyond what we officially support. Therefor its still a good idea to post the question as you may still get some helpful feedback.

-Brett

Comment

Thanks. This is why I also started the "Modest Proposal" thread in the Automated Trading forum. I recognize that you guys can only do so much non-NT script development, and was thinking that an open source-like effort to build additional code for these types of tasks might be a viable option.

Comment

Well, after a quick google search, I am curious if something like quartz.net (www.quartznet.sourceforge.net) could be used to schedule MA or an optimization within NT? I realize that this is not supported by NT, but would you at least be able to comment on whether or not this would work?

Thanks.

Kevin

Comment

I do not see any reason why it would not work other then make sure you can get a .DLL compiled in .net 2.0 as this is the version of .net we use for deployment.

-Brett

Comment

Coming back to this after a few days ... having never compiled a .dll before I have no idea how to do this. I realize that I am outside of the areas where you can provide support, but am hoping that others here can look at quartz.net and determine of this approach is worth pursuing.

There is a clear gap in NT's ability to be automated which I am hopeful will be addressed in future updates (although this would be a large enough effort that it might not show up until v8 at the earliest). Until then I will look at this but I recognize my skills are quite limited at the moment.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by geddyisodin, 04-25-2024, 05:20 AM
                8 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
                4 responses
                1 like
                Last Post jgualdronc