Interactive Brokers and Renko Charts for Futures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interactive Brokers and Renko Charts for Futures

I am curious if anyone has any experience trying to use Renko charts with interactive brokers. It seems the no tick data could be a slight issue, but I want to know if anyone has had any real problems trying to use it? I only use renko, actually a hybrid renko, and before I go back to IB, I really want to make sure my strategy won't be significantly different.

I switched from IB originally because I was using IB data for renko charts on forex. I wanted full pip data, which IB doesn't do so the bars were causing reversals too soon and such because of the half pips IB sends. Now I solely trade futures and that won't be an issue any longer.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Hello,

Since IB does not offer historical tick data, you would have to rely on the real-time data processing to build the renko bars. However, they filter their data (snap shots), so the tick data you receive would not be as robust as you would get from another provider such as Kinetick.

You might want to consider using a provider such as Kinetick to supplement your tick data.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

I'm running live strategies on E-mini with Renko charts using IB data for a few years now, and have had no problems at all.

In my opinion the unfiltered-data some dataproviders are marketing do not bring any advantages. As a "non-professional" you won't be able to react on sub-second price movements anyway. Don't even bother because you'll get burned...;

Also remember that unfiltered data means more chances on "bad ticks".
      I am fully happy to leave this filtering to IB, they obviously have some sort of filtering because I haven't seen a single bad tick at all from the IB data.

Marco

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by synthhokie, Today, 12:00 PM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
      Started by drnoggin, Today, 12:19 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes