Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Practices For Downloading

Hi,

I'm trying to understand if I'm doing something less than ideal, if I have a problem, or if it's just the way it is.

Using the Download tab in the Historical Data Manager, I'm downloading 120 days of tick and minute data for various instruments (connected to IQ Feed).

If I download each of the Dow 30 stocks, one at a time, for 120 days tick and minute, each instrument takes maybe 2 or 3 minutes to complete the download and saving. So, if I sit and babysit this process takes between 60 and 90 minutes.

If instead, I download all the data for the list, the download and save takes much longer. I'm running it now, been close to 3 hours, and it appears to have been stuck on a symbol for better than an hour.

I'm not doing anything else with Ninja during this time. Just letting the computer sit to do it's thing.

I'd appreciate hearing how long it takes others downloading significant amounts of tick data, what's the best way to do it, and if there is some known issue with downloading entire instrument lists at once.

EDIT: I tried to abort the process, clicked abort over 30 minutes ago, and status bar still showing aborting. This has been typical of my experience.
    Last edited by coolmoss; 05-31-2012, 06:40 PM.

Hello coolmoss,

There is no known issue in regards to downloading entire instrument lists.

Please note that tick and minute data is loaded seperate. NinjaTrader supports three data types: tick, minute and day. Tick data will take the longest to load since each tick needs to be loaded. Minute data will only load each minute and daily data each day.

I suggest to download tick and minute data seperate and not together. Check if this will load the data quicker when loading data for an entire list.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Dear sir,

How can I download the tick data into my pc in order to improve loading of charts?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
      Hello coolmoss,

There is no known issue in regards to downloading entire instrument lists.

Please note that tick and minute data is loaded seperate. NinjaTrader supports three data types: tick, minute and day. Tick data will take the longest to load since each tick needs to be loaded. Minute data will only load each minute and daily data each day.

I suggest to download tick and minute data seperate and not together. Check if this will load the data quicker when loading data for an entire list.

Comment

Hello supersub,

You can manually import historical tick data as per the instructions at the link below.

You will automatically load tick data when you create a tick chart once connected to a supported data feed that supports historical tick data. Please see the link below under 'Understanding the data provided by your connectivity provider' which will list all supported data feed providers and what data they support.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by sgordet, Today, 11:48 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post sgordet
        by sgordet

Started by Trader146, Today, 11:41 AM