Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems installing NinjaTrader

Hello,

Last year I installed NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.4 successfully on a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium without any problems.

I have just tried to install 7.0.1000.10 (current version) on a different computer which also has Vista Home Premium with SP1 and SP2 installed. The installer gets to installing 18.55 MB out of 48.72 MB before it halts and produces the message "Failed to download NinjaTrader". I tried several times and each time it fails at that point. No other error messages are displayed.

I then tried to install the previous version 7.0.1000.9. It gets to the window that it is installing, but then just hangs and does nothing, so after several minutes I have to cancel it, and even that takes a period of time. I tried this a couple of times, and the same thing happens.

I would be grateful to know why I am unable to install these two versions of NinjaTarder. I have the minimum requirements. Presumably .NET 3.5 is installed. Earlier in the year I installed Visual Studio Professional 2010, and was wondering if that might have something to do with the problems. In fact I had to install SP1 and SP2 before Visual Studio would install.

Where do I check where .NET 3.5 is installed on the computer, and has the installation of Visual Studio messed things up?

I look forward to any help.

Many thanks,

csharp

Hello csharp,

Thank you for your post.

To check if you have Windows .NET 3.5 installed on your PC please go to the Windows Start menu > select Control Panel > select Programs and Features > search for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.

Installing Visual Studio should not affect installing NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.9 or 7.0.1000.10.

Please send a note to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with "ATTN: Patrick" in the subject line and a reference to this thread in the body of the e-mail so I may be of further assistance.

NinjaTrader Support Forum thread: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=49673

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

ATTN: Patrick

Hello PatrickH,

Many thanks for your quick and friendly reply. I followed your instructions, and indeed to have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed. The date of installation corresponds to when I installed Visual Studio Professonal 2010 at the end of December 2011, so presumably it overwrote .NET 3.5 that must have been installed when I got the computer or re-installed Windows.

Assuming that the version of .NET I have is not the problem, something else mush be preventing these two version of NinjaTrader to be installed. What is frustrating is that I get no diagnostics, just a terse messsage for 7.0.1000.10 and no message at all for 7.0.1000.9.

Do you know of anybody else who has these problems?

Best wishes,

csharp

Comment

Hello csharp,

I am not aware of other customers that experience this issue. Could you please send us an email at support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com so we can further assist you. Please reference this forum thread in the email.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Problems installing NinjaTrader

Hello,

As requested, I submitted my question to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com on May 8, 2012, but as yet have still received no reply.

Below is the text I sent by e-mail, and would most appreciate some kind help on getting this problem resolved.

Many thanks in advance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks for your reply last night, and as advised, I am replying
          to the address you sent me.

As I said, I had successfully installed version 7.0.1000.4 last year
          on a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. I havn't checked whether
          it has Vista SP1 and SP2 installed.

Using the license key I got last year: I was directed to the
          download page where I downloaded setup.exe which is supposed to
          install version 7.0.1000.10. After repeated attempts, execution of
          setup.exe always fails when it gets to installing 18.55 MB. No
          explanation is given, just that it has failed to install.

I checked that I do have .NET 3.5, and in fact clicked on the icon to
          re-install it, but setup.exe continues to fail in the same place.

In going to the previous version, namely 7.0.1000.9, a file called
          NinjaTrader.Install.Previous.msi is downloaded, and when I attempt to
          install it, the installation process starts of OK, then hangs
          indefinitely when it gets to the Window showing the progress. It never
          shows that it has made any progress, just hangs. After a long wait I
          have to abort it, and even then it takes a very long time to close.

This is the system I have:

Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2 (I installed SP1 and
          SP2 in December 2011),
          Dual core 2.00 GHz CPU
          2.00 GB main memory
          32-bit Operating System

I also have various development tools installed, in particular Visual
          Studio Professional 2010, as well as Eclipse, a couple of J2EE web
          servers, Oracle Express 11g and SQL Developer. However, other than
          possibly Visual Studio, I doubt that any of these will interfere with
          the installation.

Some help in getting these strange problems resolved would be very
          much appreciated.

Christopher Sharp

Comment

Hello csharp,

Unfortunately I cannot find your email. Can you please proceed as follows. You will save all settings and data.

Shut down NinjaTrader 7 and uninstall it via Windows Control Panel-->Programs and Features.

Clear your browser cache and download and install NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.10 from the link below.

If you experience an error during the uninstall process, please post a screenshot of the error you experience.

Comment

Hello Jason,

Many thanks, I went to the control panel, but as expected, NinjaTrader 7 was never installed. An earlier version of 7 was installed last year on a different computer.

Anyway, I cleared the cache and went to the link you gave me, and downloaded the setup.exe file for NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.10, but when clicking on it to install it, exactly the same problem happens as before. It gets to a certain point in the installation process then hangs, then comes up with an error message that it was unsuccessful. No other explanations are given.

I have 2:00 GB of memory, but is it somehow running out of memory, there is a problem with the Windows Vista register, or there is some clash with another process ruinning?

csharp

Comment

Installation fixed!

Well, it appears that the problem has been solved!

I used CTRL-ALT-DELETE to start the task manager, and closed down as many applications as I could. Then I clicked on "setup.exe" to start the installation. It paused in exactly the same place where it had been persistently failing, and I assumed that it had failed again, but after a couple of seconds the installation continued, and eventually the whole program was installed.

I have just quickly tested that NinjaTrader is working, and it indeed that appears to be the case. If anybody else has a similar problem, they should try the same as I just did. The failure had been taking plance in the early stages of the installation, just after the first window appears showing the progress, and before the user is asked as to where he wants to install the files.

csharp
                Last edited by csharp; 05-15-2012, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Hello csharp,

I am glad you were able to resolve this matter.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

There seems to be memory usage issues with this version. Never had a problem before, but it pretty quickly starts eating up ram.

Comment

Hello crosscreek,

There are no known issues as per version 7.0.1000.10 that affect memory. Do you perhaps have any custom created indicators applied that could be causing the memory issue?

Are you able to reproduce the issue in NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.10 when you run it without any charts or other windows opened - just the Control Center. Does the memory leak recur when only the Control Center is running? If not, please open your charts and other windows one by one and check if it will cause the memory issue.

Comment

I had a couple of new indicators which were indeed the problem. BTW, those were candle bar coloring indicators. Apparently, they can chew up ram. Would be nice if NT could develop the ability to match the candle outline to the color of the candle individually (red outline down, green outline up etc...).

Comment

Hello crosscreek,

Thank you for your response.

I will forward your suggestion to our development team and follow up with a unique tracking id for this request.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Hello crosscreek,

Thank you for your suggestion on how we can improve our software.

Your suggestion has been entered with the unique tracking id of #545.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by StockTrader88, 03-06-2021, 08:58 AM
                            44 responses
                            3 likes
                            Last Post jhudas88  
                            Started by rbeckmann05, Today, 06:48 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post rbeckmann05