NT5 In Fast Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT5 In Fast Markets

You did a lot of very nice work on NT5 and the new reporting capabilities and tick based strategies are nice additions.

I spent the weekend goingthrough NT5 line by line. Found some items that don't seem to work correctly. I haven't seen any posts addressing them so sorry if I've missed them and thislist isredundant.

Concerning .NET 2.0 vs 1.1, since I had already updated to 2.0 I ran NT on top of it. When I started to find some little anomalies I reverted to another partition using 1.1. Same issues. FWIW, I didn't notice any issues running NT4 or 5 with .NET 2.0, but certainly didn't use all functions of the program either.

Apparent anomalies:

All issues found using Simulator Engine & Sim101 account (live feed not available on the weekend).

1 - Control Panel > Orders Tab: +/- Alt Click doesn't work. Ditto when using from Basic Entry Window.

2 - Control Panel > Orders Tab: When modifying an order double clicking returns the last price quoted but I am unable to adjust it from there. As I attempt to adjust the limit price it immediately reverts back to the last price quoted.

3 - Connection Issue: Start NT5 > Connect to IB > IB login window appears and is populated with user name/pswd > IB accepts it and the IB "Login in Progress" window appears and hangs > NT dialog appears stating "Login timed out waiting for TWS". If I login to IB separately, NT connects without a problem.

4 -Control Panel > Performance Tab: Commissions aren't included in Performance Report. Added commissions to individual instruments. Did not add any global commissions.

5 - SuperDOM: Stop Limit Cancel Button doesn't display on the BUY side of the DOM. This is intermittent. The order can still be cancelled is you click where the cancel button should appear.

6- Couldn't find an option to "Open New SuperDOM always on top" as we had in NT4. Would save some time when rearranging a large workspace and opening new DOM's on it.

7 - There isn't an option for having a position strategy with "No Targets" as we had in NT4. I can through them way out there but would rather not have targets unless I really wanted them.

8- Out Of Range Stop Loss and Profit Target Orders: Spent an hour following the instructions on the help page and I cannot get these orders within view without scrolling the DOM.

On a parenthetical note: I have 7 DOM's open intraday (1 market per screen and 1 DOM for each market). I'm struggling to envision how I am going to safely and efficiently manage even one strategy in a fast market let alone several at the same time without one click functionality. After going through a year of testing different front ends, clean and simple is what distinguished NT from every other product out there.

I know this has been addressed before but I cannot find on the support site nor can I remember what your position is on this issue. Will there ever be a 1 click option again? And if not, would it be possible for you to add whatever reporting/execution trackingcapabilities needed to satisfy TT and allow us short-term active traders to continue usingNT4? Please envision this: the treasuries and especially the euro can rocket out of the view on the NT5 DOM in seconds and retreat just as fast. In order to preserve a profit yet give the trade some room to run, in NT4 one click moved the stop loss order. In NT5 we have to click to open the DOM properties, click again to turn off auto-centering, scroll to the SL order, click to select it, scroll back to the price level we want to move the SL to, then click again to move it. There's no way this is going to work for short-term intra-day traders. If we can't go back to NT4, then there needs to be some sort of work-around. Avoiding a tick or two slippage by maintaining a position in a queueis nothing compared with what can happen in a fast market after a number or news event. The ability to move a stop up fast takes priority, imho. I for one would be willing to pay more for this capability or the ability to stay with NT4 for now.

The only work-around I was able to think of in these situations was to place additional stop orders and just ignoring the previous placed orders. An idea fraught with peril to be sure. What other options you can think of to move stops up quickly if one click just can't be done?

al_gorithm

imported post

Hi al_gorithm,

Thanks for your thorough post and taking the time and effort to provide this feedback.

1) Are you holding the ALT key down and then pressing the moust button on either the +/- buttons? It works as designed here (just tested) and have not had any other reports.

2) This field triggers entering last price when you double click on it. You are likely changing the price by clicking on the arrows. Either click slower so your PC registers a single click or use your mouse wheel to scroll the price.

3) If you see the TWS logon screen accept the user name password correctly and login is in progress there is nothing NT is doing wrong since at this time, it is waiting for a response from TWS. I assume TWS is not logging on based on your comments. I would double check and ensure that you have entered the correct user name in password in the IB connection set up.

4) Tools-->Options, Apply Commissions to P&L Calculations, make sure it is enabled.

5) Addressed for next update

6) Right click in SuperDOM-->Properties, set default properties, press "Set Default" button

7) Set strategy selector to <None>

8) Middle click in center column above market if long to focus next target, below if short. You have to have auto center disabled.

We will be announcing further plans regarding V4/V5 transition later this week.

Ray
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

imported post

FYI

http://ninjatrader.mywowbb.com/view_...amp;forum_id=5

Comment

imported post

Thanks much for the new DOM option and NT4 one click type behavior for the stop loss and targets. This is super and deeply appreciated. Best of both worlds now.

The image you posted showed a red and black DOM. Can the original NT4 color scheme be preserved or given as an option? It's much easier on the eyes.

Unless I missed it, it seems that the only color font option not available in the NT5 DOM was for the P/L cell. The black background with green/red numbers is very difficult to read at a glance for me. Any chance of getting a option to preserve the NT4 DOMP/L cell color scheme?

You have an outstanding product with these latest announced additions.

I have made a couple of quick notations and have one question imbedded below.

Thanks in advance

al_gorithm

================================================== =========================
        General Support > NT5 In Fast Markets

Date: 2005-12-05 09:07:22
        Reply: http://ninjatrader.mywowbb.com/reply.php?topic_id=553

Hi al_gorithm,

Thanks for your thorough post and taking the time and effort to provide this feedback.

1) Are you holding the ALT key down and then pressing the moust button on either the +/- buttons? It works as designed here (just tested) and have not had any other reports.

hmm...was doing it as instructed using left click, tried right click and it works. Must be my workstation.

2) This field triggers entering last price when you double click on it. You are likely changing the price by clicking on the arrows. Either click slower so your PC registers a single click or use your mouse wheel to scroll the price.

another hmm...working correctly now.

3) If you see the TWS logon screen accept the user name password correctly and login is in progress there is nothing NT is doing wrong since at this time, it is waiting for a response from TWS. I assume TWS is not logging on based on your comments. I would double check and ensure that you have entered the correct user name in password in the IB connection set up.

Have checked everything and even uninstalled/reinstalled NT. Login times out before TWS starts. Have the same problem with NT4 but never noticed it becauseI always start TWS before NT anyway. Weird though.

4) Tools-->Options, Apply Commissions to P&L Calculations, make sure it is enabled.

daaa...I added commission properties to IB but not to Sim. Was thinking per instrument, not per instrument per account.

5) Addressed for next update

Great.

6) Right click in SuperDOM-->Properties, set default properties, press "Set Default" button

Thanks.

7) Set strategy selector to <None>

Maybe I'm not understanding something here. In NT4 I use stop only position strategies and place targets manually, when needed. The reason for this is because too many times when trying to crowda stop loss order against the inside market there would be a briefnegative market move before I moved my stop loss order, I'd click on the wrong side of the last priceandmy target would inadvertently be moved and I'd get knocked out prematurely. Solved this by using stop only position strategies and manually placing targets if needed. Would like to be able to use a stop only position strategyfrom theNT5 DOM so I could do the same. Is this possible? If I set the strategy selector to <None> as you suggest,then I'd have to place a stop loss order manually using the OCO DOM option.This is my understanding. I can add a target if necessary but would prefer not to.

8) Middle click in center column above market if long to focus next target, below if short. You have to have auto center disabled.

Didn't have auto center turned off. It doesn't mention this is you NT5 Help Guide. You might want to update that page.

We will be announcing further plans regarding V4/V5 transition later this week.

Ray

General Support > NT5 In Fast Markets

Date: 2005-12-05 00:13:55
        Reply: http://ninjatrader.mywowbb.com/reply.php?topic_id=553

You did a lot of very nice work on NT5 and the new reporting capabilities and tick based strategies are nice additions.

I spent the weekend going through NT5 line by line. Found some items that don't seem to work correctly. I haven't seen any posts addressing them so sorry if I've missed them and this list is redundant.

Concerning .NET 2.0 vs 1.1, since I had already updated to 2.0 I ran NT on top of it. When I started to find some little anomalies I reverted to another partition using 1.1. Same issues. FWIW, I didn't notice any issues running NT4 or 5 with .NET 2.0, but certainly didn't use all functions of the program either.

Apparent anomalies:

All issues found using Simulator Engine & Sim101 account (live feed not available on the weekend).

1 - Control Panel > Orders Tab: +/- Alt Click doesn't work. Ditto when using from Basic Entry Window.

2 - Control Panel > Orders Tab: When modifying an order double clicking returns the last price quoted but I am unable to adjust it from there. As I attempt to adjust the limit price it immediately reverts back to the last price quoted.

3 - Connection Issue: Start NT5 > Connect to IB > IB login window appears and is populated with user name/pswd > IB accepts it and the IB "Login in Progress" window appears and hangs > NT dialog appears stating "Login timed out waiting for TWS". If I login to IB separately, NT connects without a problem.

4 - Control Panel > Performance Tab: Commissions aren't included in Performance Report. Added commissions to individual instruments. Did not add any global commissions.

5 - SuperDOM: Stop Limit Cancel Button doesn't display on the BUY side of the DOM. This is intermittent. The order can still be cancelled is you click where the cancel button should appear.

6 - Couldn't find an option to "Open New SuperDOM always on top" as we had in NT4. Would save some time when rearranging a large workspace and opening new DOM's on it.

7 - There isn't an option for having a position strategy with "No Targets" as we had in NT4. I can through them way out there but would rather not have targets unless I really wanted them.

8 - Out Of Range Stop Loss and Profit Target Orders: Spent an hour following the instructions on the help page and I cannot get these orders within view without scrolling the DOM.

On a parenthetical note: I have 7 DOM's open intraday (1 market per screen and 1 DOM for each market). I'm struggling to envision how I am going to safely and efficiently manage even one strategy in a fast market let alone several at the same time without one click functionality. After going through a year of testing different front ends, clean and simple is what distinguished NT from every other product out there.

I know this has been addressed before but I cannot find on the support site nor can I remember what your position is on this issue. Will there ever be a 1 click option again? And if not, would it be possible for you to add whatever reporting/execution tracking capabilities needed to satisfy TT and allow us short-term active traders to continue using NT4? Please envision this: the treasuries and especially the euro can rocket out of the view on the NT5 DOM in seconds and retreat just as fast. In order to preserve a profit yet give the trade some room to run, in NT4 one click moved the stop loss order. In NT5 we have to click to open the DOM properties, click again to turn off auto-centering, scroll to the SL order, click to select it, scroll back to the price level we want to move the SL to, then click again to move it. There's no way this is going to work for short-term intra-day traders. If we can't go back to NT4, then there needs to be some sort of work-around. Avoiding a tick or

The only work-around I was able to think of in these situations was to place additional stop orders and just ignoring the previous placed orders. An idea fraught with peril to be sure. What other options you can think of to move stops up quickly if one click just can't be done?

al_gorithm

Comment

imported post

DOM color is completely user definable. I just changed default settings to something else that I liked.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your question, simply select <Custom> and leave yout target value to zero.

Ray

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by aa731, Today, 02:54 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post aa731
          by aa731

Started by thanajo, 05-04-2021, 02:11 AM