Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving chart layout and accumulated data

Hello!

I am trying to start learning Ninjatrader and switching over, but, despite having read the manual I am still unclear on a couple things.

1. This sounds basic, but how do you save a chart layout? I set up multiple charts and have everything just how I want it, but if I close the program and come back, everything is gone and I have recreate the charts etc. Isn't there a simple "save layout" feature or something?

2. I use IB's feed and I use constant volume bars. I am aware that you can't backfill cv data with ib's feed. So, if I leave the platform open for the whole day, and get the cv data as it comes in, is there a way to sort of save that data so that if I do exit and platform and come back, I can have that data there for the next day, so I'm not starting with blank charts?

The main thing I'm trying to do here is use the replay etc and what I don't want is having to start with blank charts. If they are blank, I have to wait half a day each day just for there to be enough data to do my TA on.

Ok anyway, any help is much appreciated! I am very excited about learning to use NT and efficiency and cool features it appears to provide. Thanks for any responses!

Sol

Hello Sol,

Thank you for your post.

1) To save a chart Template right click in the chart-> Templates-> Save as. This will allow you to save your chart setup.

2) Data is stored by default. You can check this by going to Tools--> Options--> Data tab--> Store real-time bar data. This feature should be checked. Therefore you will have the data from the day before.

Thank you.
    JessicaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello

Thank you for responding!

As far as templates go, that seems to save the properties of a single chart. What I was wondering about was if there was a way to save a LAYOUT of charts. For instance, if I have a setup with a 1000 cvb chart, and a 5000 cvb chart, and a time and sales and superdom, is there a way to save this LAYOUT, so that when i logback in, these windows pop back up without me having to resituate each of them etc? Thanks for any help!

Sol

Comment

Hi Sol,

The feature you are referring to is called workspaces in NinjaTrader. In NinjaTrader 6.0 it will automatically save whatever workspace you have currently open before you close down the app. If you have 5 charts open when you were closing, the next time you open NinjaTrader it will also open those 5 charts.

In NinjaTrader 6.5, not only do you have one workspace, you can also save multiple workspaces and load different ones as you see fit.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

re: "a way to save a LAYOUT of charts"

Solomon68 noticed a problem I had some time ago with wanting to retain a specific set of charts. The attached batch file, will backup 6.0 or 5.0 workspaces so that they can be restored to a previous state. Apparently this isn't needed with 6.5.

The NTbakNgo.bat file must be placed in the ...\workspaces directory. That's the directory that contains "Default.xml"
          and a link (shortcut) to the appropriate NinjaTrader.exe must also be placed in that directory.

The directory is something like:
          "C:\Documents and Settings\your_login_name\My Documents\NinjaTrader 6\workspaces"

There are two files are in the attached NTbakNgo.zip file: readme.txt and NTbakNgo.bat.
          Attached Files

Comment

Store real-time bar data

Hi Jessica,

Could you tell where exactly this "real-time data" is stored?

I've got the option "Store real-time data" and "Run market replay recorder" both activated.

"Market replay recorder" is stored on the folder:
            <my documents>\NinjaTrader 6.5\db\data\YYYYMMDD\
            but the "Real-time data", don't know where is stored.

Sometimes I've to run V6 instead of V6.5 Beta, and I would like to copy the information that was stored in V6 to V6.5 later.

It seams it can be done for the "Market replay recorder" , but don't know how to do it for "Real-time data".

It seams the "NinjaTrader.mdb" db files doesn't have enough room to accommodate this data.

Would appreciate any clue about this.

Kind regards,

Candido

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jessica View Post
            Hello Sol,

Thank you for your post.

1) To save a chart Template right click in the chart-> Templates-> Save as. This will allow you to save your chart setup.

2) Data is stored by default. You can check this by going to Tools--> Options--> Data tab--> Store real-time bar data. This feature should be checked. Therefore you will have the data from the day before.

Thank you.

Comment

The data is indeed stored in the NinjaTrader database. We do not recommend copying .mdb files around though. It may screw things up between the two NT versions.
              Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Balage0922, Today, 07:38 AM
              0 responses
              1 view
              0 likes
              Last Post Balage0922  
              Started by JoMoon2024, Today, 06:56 AM
              0 responses