Creating a new instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a new instrument

I used the search function on the forums, but couldn't seem to find a thread detailing what I need.

I want to plug historical data from the BitCoin exchanges into NinjaTrader. There are no currently available sources of historical data that fits the import format for NT.

So, I want to create an instrument and then manually enter the daily data going back for 6 months to a year.

Is there any way to manually do this? Is there a way to do this where I could create a file to import? If so, could you point me to instructions on this?

Thank you!

f661

Hello f661,

Thanks for your post.

The steps required to import historical data in to NinjaTrader are outlined here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h.../importing.htm
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I already know how to import historical data. I think you missed the main point of my previous post:

So, I want to create an instrument and then manually enter the daily data going back for 6 months to a year.

Is there any way to manually do this? Is there a way to do this where I could create a file to import? If so, could you point me to instructions on this?
      I want to create an instrument and manually enter the daily data. Is there a way to do this?

Comment

fury661,
        It's great that you're familiar with importing with historical data manager. You'll need to use that to bring in the data for your new custom instrument.

NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument. Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.

* From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
        * Press the "New" button
        * *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
        * Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivity provider
        * Press the "OK" button

* If you wish to add an equity, this can be accomplished without following the steps above. Just open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list. Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.

* Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
        * Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
        * Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
        * Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list

You are now complete and can press the "OK" button.
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

But is there a way to manually enter the data? There is no known API or live quote service that interfaces with NT. I've already created the instrument... but is it possible to manually enter data? I have a spreadsheet full of OHLC and volume data.

I want to MANUALLY enter that in with the historical data tool.

I cannot use the IMPORT function.

I have to MANUALLY enter it.

Is that possible?

Comment

Hi fury661,

The import process mentioned a bit earlier (http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h.../importing.htm) is the only way to bring that data in to NinjaTrader short of a real-time/historical data connection.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
              Hi fury661,

The import process mentioned a bit earlier (http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h.../importing.htm) is the only way to bring that data in to NinjaTrader short of a real-time/historical data connection.
              Thank you for clarifying. My original question was whether or not I could manually enter data. When that page was suggested, I scoured that part and other parts of the help file for directions on how to manually enter data.

Would have saved me a lot of time if I had been told outright that you can't manually enter data!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by rocketman7, Today, 09:41 AM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
              Started by traderqz, Today, 09:44 AM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby