Interactive Brokers market data feed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interactive Brokers market data feed?

I had been working in the free simulated version of NinjaTrader using barchart data feed and that seemed to work fine while trading with a broker that was not a ninjatrader partner. I just signed up for Interactive Brokers in order to execute some automated strategies along with ninjatrader, and I am confused as to whether IB provides accurate and timely market data feed for ninjatrader or not, partly because some posts on the board leave the answer unclear. So should I drop barchart and rely on IB for market data for my chart or keep barchart? I largely trade futures on 1 minute to 3 minute time frames.

Hi mrkicks,

Thanks for your post.

Interactive Brokers does provide real-time and historical data for the intervals which you're interested in. While I cannot say for sure that IB's data would meet all of your needs, this should be very easy for you to test out - just try connecting only to IB.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

IB does not provide real time tick by tick data, only send data every fraction of second to NT or everybody else, we have requested NT to implement IB 5 second update data, which can update your 1/3 minutes bar every 5 seconds, but until NT adds this feature, you have to stay with paid data for accurate bars. You can test it with real time data, you will find very often your minutes charts will miss high or low, also the bar shape is not accurate.

Comment

NT & IB software

Hi
        I've not used NT for 18 months but have just restarted trading with IB InteractiveBrokers and want to know which version of NT i should update to.
        I'm currently running NT7.1000.5 and a recent version of IBTWS build 923.8a.

And will someone tell me where I can find the link to start a new thread in this forum?
        thanks

Comment

Hi sabtrader,

We currently recommend TWS 921.5 with NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.9.

TWS 921.5 is available here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/ninjatrad...tall_921_5.exe

NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.9 is available here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/download-registration
          KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by traderharley View Post
            IB does not provide real time tick by tick data, only send data every fraction of second to NT or everybody else, we have requested NT to implement IB 5 second update data, which can update your 1/3 minutes bar every 5 seconds, but until NT adds this feature, you have to stay with paid data for accurate bars. You can test it with real time data, you will find very often your minutes charts will miss high or low, also the bar shape is not accurate.
            Is this still the case? (Ninjatrader support: please reply)

Comment

The key differences however between IB's data feed and providers like Kinetick is that IB's data feed is not true tick data. IB consolidates its data every few milliseconds and then sends it out to users. This is of little or no issue if you are not using tick charts but only displaying charts of higher timeframes like 5, 10 and 60 mins.
              Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Super - thanks

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
                  The key differences however between IB's data feed and providers like Kinetick is that IB's data feed is not true tick data. IB consolidates its data every few milliseconds and then sends it out to users. This is of little or no issue if you are not using tick charts but only displaying charts of higher timeframes like 5, 10 and 60 mins.
                  What can you say about using Renko bars or range charts? I guess you might miss exact highs and lows if they happen inbetween the millesecond update? I don't need like a number of ticks or anything, just my entries occur when I get a reversal renko bar and I use a strategy to place the market order when that occurs. Will it be executed late? What if I use stop limit orders, for example, to take a short on a reversal bar? I assume that will be held at the exchange and as such will get executed immediately upon the actual exchange price reaching it?

Thank you for your help

Comment

Yes if something occurs prior to the update this would not be displayed such as a High or Low tick and there is a chance the strategy would not be triggered due to this.

If you have an order in place such as a Limit or Stop this order would rest on IB's servers and would be executed based off real time data from the Exchange.

If you are interested in real time unfiltered Tick data one option is Kinetick. If you have a Live IB account and a Live NinjaTrader license key you would qualify for the Waiver Program.

Click here for more information on the Kinetick Waiver Program

Click here to subscribe to Kinetick

Comment

I can get free Kinetick if I have a live license and IB data? That's awesome! One question - IB makes you pay $10 a month for commodities bundle (I trade NQ/YM/CL). Would this mean I don't need that?

As for the Kinetick data, how does that work: The renko bars are retracing (moving up) during a downtrend. I activate my strategy which will sell market on the next renko bar that closes down. Kinetick shows the tick by tick move as the price goes down which reflects what's happening at the exchange. My strategy will sell market when that renko bar closes down according to the kinetick data and this sends the order through IB's servers to the exchange? (Does Kinetick route orders?)

So this will happen when the exchange price is actually ticking one further to make that renko bar close down irregardless of what is happening with IB's data?

Comment

I misunderstood what you were saying, I get the waiver to pay exchange fees, but still pay the Kinetick fee.

Comment

You would still be required to be subscribed to those Exchanges with IB if you are submitted orders to these instruments within your live IB account.

Correct data will be seen tick by tick however all orders will be routed to your IB account where orders will reside on their servers or at the Exchange where orders will be filled based on the Exchange real time data and not the delayed IB update.

Kinetick will only be used for real time and historical data.

With the Waiver Program you would pay the Basic Exchange and would automatically have the Exchanges listed below added at no additional charge:
                          • CME
                          • CME E-mini
                          • CBOT
                          • CBOT E-mini
                          • NYMEX
                          • COMEX

At a minimum, and for all instruments Kinetick offers:
                          • 120 calendar days of historical Tick data (for building tick based charts, such as range and volume)
                          • 2 years of historical Minute data
                          • 10 years of historical Daily data
                          For more commonly traded symbols it is likely that more extensive historical data will be available, as well.

Comment

I would like to ask what items and how much do I need to pay, if I want to trade through NT, and would like to use kinetic real-time data to trade commodities, forex and US index futures and options. Given that I have

1.) A live IB account without subscribing any data
                            2.) A paid all time license of NT ?

I am so confusing when reading through those comment and websites. I just want to find out a cheapest way to trade while enjoying good data quality.

Thanks very much for reply!

Comment

Hello Thomas1209,

Thank you for your note. My name is Brian and I will be responding on behalf of Chris today.

I ask that you please send your phone number and a convenient time that you can be reached to support[at]kinetick{dot}com.

I will then be able to provide you with a phone call and assist with all of your questions. You also will want to attention the email to: ATTN BRIAN

I look forward to your email and assisting you further.
                              Brian H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post usazencort  
                              Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
                              5 responses