Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing price discrepancy btw IB/ICE/ECBOT and Kinetick

Hello,
    I am using NJ with the Kinetick free EOD datafeed and my broker is IB, although I am using a white brand of IB so I can't connect IB directly to NJ. Anyway here is my "problem" which screams that I have simply a box unchecked somewhere but I can't figure it out.

I found a discrepancy between the closing prices my broker and the exchange provides and the closing price of the kinetick datafeed.

For example for the 7th May contract of
    Cocoa at the ICE:
    Closing price Interactibe Brokers 2305
    Closing price ICE 2305
    Closing price in NJ with Kinetick 2277
    Settlement ICE 2283

Cotton also at the ICE
    Closing price IB 90.03
    ICE 90.03
    NJ 90.12
    Settlement ICE 91.42

Coffee ICE
    Closing price IB 187.90
    ICE 187.90
    NJ 188.60
    Settlement ICE 193.05

And this is also present at the ECBOT, for example with Corn
    IB 637,75
    ECBOT 637,75
    NJ 638,75

Soybeans
    IB/ECBOT 1326.25
    NJ 1326.75 (close but still)

Wheat
    IB/ECBOT 638.75
    NJ 639.25

The questions is, is this a problem with NJ, a problem with the datafeed or how can I fix this problem, because I need the correct closing price since in some occasions the closing price from kinetick changes a bar/candlestick from positive into negative depending on the closing price and all my indicators rely on the closing prices. Since only the closing prices are affected and the opening, high and low quote is absolutely perfect, maybe there is simply an option which NJ uses to average the closing with the settlement price (if it is provided by Kinetick) and I simple can't find it. Otherwise I have no idea what could cause these anomalies, but please help me correct them.

I added to screenshots to illustrade more clearly what I mean. First one is from NJ, second from my paper trading account in TWS.
    Before I wrote this thread I used the search function of this forum and found a thread about price "anomalies" here. There it's pointed out that Kinetick supplies the settlement price which causes these anomalies, but even these supplied settlement prices don't match with the actual settlement prices from the exchange.

So to wrap it up:
    - Can I get the closing price for the actual contract? I don't need the settlement, the closing price is much more important to me and if I can get it then please how?

I have to thank you for your time and effort,

Steamy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steamroller; 03-07-2012, 04:30 PM.

Hello,

Kinetick used settlement prices, rather than the actual close and there is not an option to change this, unless you loaded a 1440 Minute chart to replicate your daily bars.

However the settlement adjustment should change things too often - what is more likley is occurring is the MergePolicy in NinjaTrader by default is set to backadjust the previous contracts.

You can change this behavior by going to Tools--> Options--> Data tab--> locate the "MergePolicy" and set this to either "MergeNonBackAdjusted" or "DoNotMerge"

You can read more about Understanding Merge Policy settings from the following link:
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/index.html?historical_data.htm
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Hello,
      Thank you for your reply. Two points:
      - I set my MergePolicy to DoNotMerge already, because I had a problem with a continuous contract, but thank you for the suggestion.
      - If the settlement prices were correct this would also be a problem since I don't need them, but since the settlement prices Kinetick provides differ from the prices which are quoted by the ICE somebody who relies on settlement prices for their analysis or trading should find this strange. This is why I included the settlement prices in my first post because the prices don't match.

It seems to me I have to find another data provider. I really loved the idea with the free EOD data (who doesn't) but with a settlement instead of a closing price it is quite frankly useless. With a price difference which equals 220$ per contract per day in Cocoa alone, it is for me at least a question if my stop gets hit or not, if my analysis is correct or not and so on.

Thank you for your time.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Karado58, 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
      8 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Option Whisperer  
      Started by Option Whisperer, Today, 09:05 AM
      0 responses
      1 view