Attach indicator to strategy for back testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attach indicator to strategy for back testing

I have got my indicators up an running, but now I want to back test them in a strategy.
    I have developed "TradePrice3" with some simple indicators, and I have got the indicators plotted in the panel 1, below the price chart, but no arrows etc for when the setups occur.
    Now I would like to attach MyIndicator to a strategy, and have the various signals that are generated in MyIndicator, to show up in the lower panel on the chart tab for the results of the back test. MyIndicator calculates the various values for- set stop entry, initial stop loss, profit target, take profit stop order and number of contracts (Forex trading).
    Is there some way of attaching MyIndicator to the strategy to do all of the above.
    Thank you from oldhiker.
    My intention is to test MyIndicator in back testing, but to place trades manually from signals generated from the results of my back testing, when trading a live account.
    Thank you
    Last edited by oldhiker; 02-28-2012, 06:20 AM. Reason: Additional information

Hello oldhiker, what you would need to do is create a NinjaScript strategy now that trade / executes the signals your indicator generates - this could be done for example in the wizard we have in NT -

Depending on what output your indicator generates though, it might be easier to custom code the strategy and refer directly to the code leading to the indicator signals in it, so basically taking the logic from the indicator and resuing this in your custom strategy for backtesting.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Bertrand,
      Thank you for your reply.
      When pointed to the Help Guide, it is quite obvious what to do. I have just briefly skipped thought the several processes and they look exactly what I need. I noted the section on using an indicator as an input to another indicator, and that is one aspect that I will be using.
      The power of NT is just amazing.
      Once again, thank you and the staff who developed NT and the Help Guide

Comment

Thanks for the kind post and we're glad to see you making such powerful use of the resources available - good luck on the next steps.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by tkaboris, Today, 08:01 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post tkaboris  
        Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
        1 response