Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

massive memory usage all of a sudden

the memory my Ninja 7 is using is exceeding 2.9 million "k."

it is slow as hell and everything on my computer has been slowed down to a crawl.

why is this all of a sudden happening? it used to be operating in the 50-100k "k" range.

thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Please send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with "ATTN: Chris J" in the subject line.

In the message, please include the following:
    1.) A link to this forum thread.
    2.) Your most current trace and log files.

You will find the file here: My Documents > NinjaTrader 7-> Trace > trace.YYYYMMDD.txt

Log file will be located by going to Documents->NinjaTrader 7->Log->log.YYYYMMDD.txt
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

sent, but one log file and one trace file both exceed 1 million KB and i can't send them to you because of their size.

Comment

same problem

Christopher, I have the same problem. Memory usage is over 6 gigabytes on a clean startup (rebooted computer and NT). I was doing some heavy backtesting overnight and this morning is when it happened. My trace file today is almost 7 gigabytes.

I would like to try to purge the database of the historical data - what's the best way to do this?

If I did a backup of only my workspace and chart data with no historical tick data, then performed a Restore on that backup, would that work?

Thanks -Dave

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
        Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Please send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with "ATTN: Chris J" in the subject line.

In the message, please include the following:
        1.) A link to this forum thread.
        2.) Your most current trace and log files.

You will find the file here: My Documents > NinjaTrader 7-> Trace > trace.YYYYMMDD.txt

Log file will be located by going to Documents->NinjaTrader 7->Log->log.YYYYMMDD.txt

Comment

Hello,

In order to delete all historical data please use the steps I have provided below. This will not affect your Workspaces, Charts, Settings, etc.
          • Close NinjaTrader
          • Documents
          • NinjaTrader 7
          • Open the db folder
          • Open the Cache folder and delete all files within this folder
          • Go back to the db folder
          • Open the Tick folder and delete all files within this folder
          • Repeat this procedure for the Day as well as Minute folders
          • Restart NinjaTrader
          Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Solved

I was able to solve this by renaming the last log file in ..\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\log
            The latest file was over 3 gigabytes and apparently Ninjatrader was loading this on startup. The log file had thousands of Kinetick connection errors which I suppose occured during my heavy backtesting overnight. Once I renamed the file (in my case from log.20120305.txt to old.log.20120305.txt), Ninjatrader started up right away and memory use went way down to 155 megs.

Hopefully this helps someone else who might be experiencing the same problem.

cheers -Dave

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
            Hello,

In order to delete all historical data please use the steps I have provided below. This will not affect your Workspaces, Charts, Settings, etc.
            • Close NinjaTrader
            • Documents
            • NinjaTrader 7
            • Open the db folder
            • Open the Cache folder and delete all files within this folder
            • Go back to the db folder
            • Open the Tick folder and delete all files within this folder
            • Repeat this procedure for the Day as well as Minute folders
            • Restart NinjaTrader

Comment

I had this exact same problem today...the program wouldn't open until it had allocated 15gb of ram! The latest trace and log files were each ~7gb, once I deleted them the problem was fixed.

Having seen this years later than the earlier posts in this thread...any chance we can get a bug fix? I don't know what caused this. I do run backtests with substantial amounts of data, but my usage today was no different than any other day.

Comment

Hello,

Please contact me by email at Support AT NinjaTrader DOT com. In your message please include a link to this forum thread and a copy of the newly created log and trace files for today. (not the abnormally large versions of the files which you were forced to delete)

The Log file is located in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder and would be named 'log.20140724.txt'. The Trace file is located in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder and would be named 'trace.20140724.txt'
                KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

So open the log file and examine it. ..

Msdos has a more command. ...

Originally posted by Konoakapen View Post
                  I had this exact same problem today...the program wouldn't open until it had allocated 15gb of ram! The latest trace and log files were each ~7gb, once I deleted them the problem was fixed.

Having seen this years later than the earlier posts in this thread...any chance we can get a bug fix? I don't know what caused this. I do run backtests with substantial amounts of data, but my usage today was no different than any other day.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post algospoke  
                  Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                  3 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred