Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single license on more accounts

Hello,
    sorry if this might sound like a dumb question, but can i run more than one Ninjatrader instance with the same license (i need to operate on two live accounts)?
    Thanks, regards.

Hello barbra,

Thank you for your note.

You will not be able to run two instances of NinjaTrader on the same computer.

However, this may not be necessary.

Please let me know the following:
    • Who are these two accounts with?
    • Do these two accounts have the same username/password?

I look forward to assisting you.
    Ryan L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      Both accounts are with Interactive Brokers but they have different username/password.
      Regards.

Comment

Hello barbra,

Thank you for the information.

With the procedure outlined below, you will be able to connect to both of your Interactive Broker's accounts within one Instance of NinjaTrader.

Connecting to Multiple IB Accounts:

NinjaTrader can connect to multiple different IB accounts that have separate login username and passwords at the same time. To set this up please see the instructions below. In order to do this however, the user must manually start TWS multiple times for each account first in the morning, then connect with NinjaTrader since the auto startup functionality does not work with multiple logins.

1) Manually start TWS from the desktop, if you have two accounts start it up twice with each account logged in.

2) When platform has started, Click Configure > API Settings > Socket Port > Provide a unique value. Default is 7496, leave this as is for the first username. Add 1 to this value to be 7497 on the second account so each account has a unique port value.

3) In your NinjaTrader connection for this account, match the port with what you specify in TWS for each account connection.

4) Connect in NT using File > Connect, you will do this twice for both account connections.

Note: The Client ID can remain at default setting. Only port needs changing in our testing.

Please see our Interactive Brokers connection guide for more information on setting up a connection:

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your guidelines Ryan.
          Unfortunately i use the IB Gateway instead of the TWS, anyway i guess it could work with the former as well, i'll have a try.
          Kind regards.

Comment

Hello barbra,

NinjaTrader requires that Traders Workstation (TWS) version 917 be used, the browser version is not supported. You may download TWS 917 here: Download

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Comment

Indeed, i just realized it and now it works, thanks.
              Unfortunately IB complains that such version will be deprecated on february 24th, any update in the offing?
              Thank your for your support, regards.

Comment

Hello barbra,

You may continue to use Interactive Brokers TWS version 917.8 until February 24th. After that date, TWS version 917.8 will no longer work correctly with NinjaTrader.

We will have an announcement before February 24th that will provide you with information regarding the upgrade steps to the new supported TWS version.

Please continue to use version 917.8 until you hear from us on when/how to change TWS versions.

Comment

Thanks a lot, i'll keep an eye on that.
                  Please don't forget about us poor IB traders

Comment

Dear Ryan,
                    following the new guidelines i updated my TWS to 921.5.
                    It works, but with several connection problems, so i'd definitely rather using the IB Gateway as i always did before but now there's no chance to get Ninja working with it.
                    The gateway and the Ninja connect each other after some tedious set_tws_title_bar/open_ib_gateway/open_ninja/connect_to_tws/quickly_close_the_tws/hope_it_connects but there's no chance to get real time quotes, market data farms are reported as offline but i can see the servers pinging and using the TWS the quotes work.
                    Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hello barbra,

Thank you for the information.

If you do not have NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.9 installed, please upgrade with the steps provided below. With this procedure you will not lose any workspaces, charts, etc...
                      • Close all running applications.

Once these steps are completed, download and install NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.9 from the link below:

Note: Please make sure that Traders Workstation is properly configured as per our connection guide:

• Close NinjaTrader
                      • Start TWS > select the menu item "Edit" > Global Configuration...
                      • On the left hand side, expand "API" and then left click on "Settings"
                      • Make sure these items are checked:
                      • Enable ActiveX and Socket Clients
                      • Download open orders on connection
                      • Include FX positions when sending portfolio
                      • Send status updates...
                      • Set the "Socket port" value to 7496
                      • Start NinjaTrader and attempt to connect to IB.

Here is a screenshot showing these settings:

Please let me know if you are running the latest release and have TWS properly configured as per our connection guide, or if I can provide any further assistance.

Comment

Of course i have 7.0.1000.9 installed.
                        As i already mentioned before the connection to TWS works but with several disconnections which makes impossible to reliably run automated strategies.
                        I would really need to use IB Gateway instead but the instructions you refer to apply to TWS only.
                        Thanks, regards.

Comment

barbra,

IB Gateway is currently not supported.

This is on our development list to look into our next major release. However this is still some time down the road.

I will make sure your request is added for this feature request as well.

In regards to disconnects with TWS. I know that TWS forces a disconnect once each day, this is a limitation with TWS.

Comment

Thanks Ryan.
                            So, what are the best practices to run NinjaScripts with TWS besides using a workaround like IBController or TWSStart?

Comment

barbra,

You may attempt to use these programs to workaround the automatic disconnects.

As this is a limitation of TWS, we are not able to do much directly to resolve the situation.

There are some users getting around the automatic disconnect with TWS Start in this thread:

Here is a link to TWS Start:

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Stanfillirenfro, Yesterday, 09:19 AM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                              Started by TraderCro, 04-12-2024, 11:36 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes