Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Severe NT Crash

Hi there,

I am now already a long-time user of NinjaTrader Version 7.0.1000.5 with IB 911.3.
    After initial problem I had now a stable working trading platform for almost 1 year, which did what it should you.

Yesterday I had out of the blue a severe NT crash and could not restart NT today and need your quick support!!

I have attached the trace file, where the error occurred.

Rgds, Peter
    Attached Files

Hello unter821,

Can you please send me today's trace file as well, so I can check why NinjaTrader does not start today. Please send it to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and put 'Attn Jason, Severe NT Crash' in the subject header.

Am I correct you experience the errors in the screenshots today? If so, please proceed as follows. Go to (My) Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->workspaces and transfer the entire content to a temporary different location. Check if NinjaTrader starts successful. Exit NinjaTrader. Delete all files you see in the (My) Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->workspaces folder and transfer back all the files you transferred earlier. Start NinjaTrader and check if all works fine when opening your workspace via Control Center-->File-->Workspaces-->Open Workspace.

In addition, please install our latest version (7.0.1000.8). It contains fixes and enhancements compared to the old version. You can download and install the latest version from the link below on top of your current version. Make sure NinjaTrader is closed when you install the new version.

Subsequently install TWS 917 which is the supported TWS version with NinjaTrader. You can download and install it from the IB connection guide below.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason,

Since I have heard nothing on my email, let me ask you here:
      Obviously this is an workspace bug. Is it possible to recover the old workspace with all the charts and attached strategies somehow? Or do I have to create the workspace completely from scratch once again.

My main problem is, that the synchronisation with IB does not work, when I create new strategies. Any idea to recover the old ones.

I really need your feedback, since we are trading live.

Thx, Peter

Comment

Hello Peter,

I have responded to both emails you sent us. Please check if it was received in your junk folder. If so, please configure your email so it will accept emails from @ninjatrader.com.

Can you please go to (My) Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->workspaces. Right click the "Macro with IB Charts.xml" file and select "Cut". Right click on your desktop and select "Paste". The workspace file is now transferred outside the (My) Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->workspaces folder. So it will not open this workspace anymore when you start NinjaTrader. Please check if you are now able to start NinjaTrader successful.

If so, please exit NinjaTrader and transfer back the workspace file. Start NinjaTrader and check if you are open the workspace successfully at Control Center-->File-->Workspaces-->Open Workspace.

If the issue persists, please restore a backup file that contains the workspace if you have it and check if the issue remains. If so, unfortunately you will need to rebuild the workspace. Once rebuild, I recommend to save a backup file.

Comment

Thx Jason, works again, still some small problems. Will come back to you tomorrow. Emails did not arrive, could you check the address: [email protected]

Comment

Ok sounds good. I checked the email address and it is listed as: [email protected]
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jason,

Some more questions concerning the NT behaviour, after the workspace does work again:

1.) Instrument Manager: Some of the instrument settings I change recently were lost (changes under contract months). When are those changes exactly saved? The backup does not save those, correct?

2.) Backup/Restore mechansim: I do make backups on a frequent basis. However yesterday, when I restored the last backup, the charts did not show up. What procedure do I have to apply to exactly get the NT status back, which I had when I made the backup?

3.) I have upgraded now to the latest NT version and use the corresponding IB TWS version: 917.xx. I have problems now with the synchronisation of my IB account. When reactivating the strategies NT produces a second stop order with completely identical characteristics to the one lying already at IB. I assume it is coming from the crash, because the code should be 100% upward compatible, correct?

4.) Could you reconstruct the crash? It had to do with the workspace xml file, correct? I recently added the XT and YT charts for trading the Aussie Bonds and since then the whole configuration was somehow unstable.

Thx in advance for your feedback,
              Peter

Comment

Hello Peter,

1. Could it be you reset the instruments recently? This will remove any modified settings for default instruments.

Changes under contract months are saved in the backup file as well. It is saved in the database.

2. Restoring a backup file will restore all settings saved in the backup file. Could it be the charts were not saved in the workspace when you created the backup file?
                Could it be you closed the charts of the workspace. Subsequently you saved the workspace and created the backup file?

3. There were no changes between version 7.0.1000.7 and 7.0.1000.8 that would affect NinjaScript strategies.

So before you activated the strategy, you already had a stop order active in TWS. As far as I know, the automated strategy is not aware of this order. So when you activate the strategy, it will function as you programmed.

4. I have not been able to reproduce the crash. Yes, NinjaTrader crashed when the workspace was being opened on startup.

Comment

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your support, the whole environment seems to work stable again. I have upgraded to NT 7.0.1000.8 and TWS 917.8 and NT does what it should do:
                  - synchronisationw with IB worked
                  - charts are updating correctly once again

What helped me yesterday, was a complete restart of my Workstation, which I seldom do. I think people should know, that if NT crashes or has trouble to correctly synch with IB the most important thing is to restart your PC. Maybe somethings stays in the memory, I don't know....

The interesting thing will be, what happens when a add the charts for XT and YT once again. Does the error come again? I will keep you update.

Best, Peter

Comment

Hello Peter,

Good to hear all is stable again.

Yes, a restart of the software can be helpful on some occassions especially when you experience a crash. Please always restart the software after you experience a crash.

Sounds good, please keep me updated.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by futtrader, Today, 01:16 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post futtrader  
                    Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
                    14 responses