Transferring NT 7.0.1000.7 from one computer to another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying to transfer NT 7.0.1000.7 from one computer to another. I used the backup and restore utility. Unfortunately, the scripts are not being transferred.

I'm getting the following error:

"Ninjascript files can't be restored, since they would corrupt your installation".

Please, how can I transfer all my scripts/indicators, so my templates/charts can be loaded correctly in the new computer?

Thanks!

Hello ds1111,

Thanks for writing in.

Please follow the instructions below to see where the errors are coming from after compiling the indicator. This will allow you to debug the indicator/strategy or remove it from your PC. If you are wondering why you receive an error when compiling only one indicator, it is because NinjaTrader compiles all indicators and strategies- not just one.
    • Open NinjaTrader
    • From the Control Center select the Tools menu--> select the Edit NinjaScript menu item--> select Indicator
    • Select an indicator and double click on it.
    • A new window will appear and you will need to right click in the window and select Compile to compile the indicators.
    • At the bottom of the window a new section will appear where you can find the error locations.
    • From there you have the option to remove the indicator or debug it.

If you are unsure as to what the error is indicating, please send me a screenshot of the error with the name and description fields clearly readable.
    To send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screen shot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CRTL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

As this is a new installation (on the new computer) the only indicators are the ones packaged with NT. I have many custom indicators, and I need all of them to be transferred to the new computer as I restore the installation (so as I said, templates and charts with these custom indicators can be loaded correctly).
      The procedure described does not address my problem.
      Thanks.

Comment

Hi ds1111,

Sorry for the confusion - I'm asking you to check the PC where the backup was created as that is where the files would have been corrupted originally.

Comment

In my original computer (the ones where the back up were created), I don't get any errors when compiling any of my custom indicators (I tried several of them, but not all of them).

I tried to uninstall NT (and also cleaning up the NT 7 directory on My Documents) on my new computer in order to recreate a totally clean NT 7 install. Then I re-did the "restore" process into this new installation, but I'm still receiving the same message.

Any clues?

Thanks
          Last edited by ds1111; 12-09-2011, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Hi,

In the email you'd sent me after opening this thread, please reply with a copy of your backup so that I can try the file here.

Comment

+1

I got the same issue when restoring a backup configuration from 1 PC to another PC with this error in the log file " Default;Failed to restore indicator 'NinjaTrader.Indicator.anaPivotsDailyV38'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which implements this indicator no longer is there.;"

Sounds like the NT indicators have been restored successfully ' EMA ..) but not the custom indicators like anapivotsV38 and some others

The NT release is NT 7.0.1000.8

Best regards
              Gerard
              Last edited by ggeib750; 12-16-2011, 07:24 AM.

Comment

I suggest installing the anapivotsV38 indicator manually on the other PC to resolve this error.
                Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

So custom indicators don't transfer?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
                  I suggest installing the anapivotsV38 indicator manually on the other PC to resolve this error.
                  I'm running 7.0.1000.8 but have exactly the same issue: Custom indicators which ran fine on the old PC under this version of NT were not migrated to the new PC when I ran Restore, instead giving me the "Ninjascript files can't be restored, since they would corrupt your installation" message.

A check of Tools > Edit NinjaScript > Indicators shows none of those custom indicators listed, and compiling a standard indicator produces no message, error or otherwise.

What specific steps must I take, on old PC and new, to copy those custom indicators over to the new PC?

Thanks.

dwt__

Comment

To move the indicators to the other PC please Export the indicators by going to File-->Utilities-->Export NinjaScript.

After exporting the indicators the file can be found in Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->bin-->Custom-->Export NinjaScript.

Move this .zip file to the other PC then go to File-->Utilities-->Import NinjaScript and select the .zip file-->Click Open.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over Exporting NinjaScript files as well.

Comment

Just in case someone runs into this problem... this is how I solved my situation... it may work for you (basically, I looked at the log file under the /documents/ninjatrader 7/log and deleted the assemblies causing the error)

This is my email to support to close the case at the time:

I opened the log file and found the following errors:

"
                      12/9/2011 9:46:49 AM|2|4|Error compiling export sources: c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Indicator\anaMACDBBLines.cs(48,11) : error CS0433: The type 'NinjaTrader.Indicator.EMA' exists in both 'c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\FeltonTradingTrendMA1.dll' and 'c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\NinjaTrader.Vendor.dll'
                      12/9/2011 9:46:49 AM|2|4|Error compiling export sources: c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Indicator\anaSuperTrend.cs(43,12) : error CS0433: The type 'NinjaTrader.Indicator.ATR' exists in both 'c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\FeltonTradingTrendMA1.dll' and 'c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\VisualSMA.dll'
                      12/9/2011 9:46:49 AM|2|4|Error compiling export sources: c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Indicator\anaTradersDynamicIndex.cs(5 7,11) : error CS0433: The type 'NinjaTrader.Indicator.SMA' exists in both 'c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\FeltonTradingTrendMA1.dll' and 'c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\VisualSMA.dll'
                      12/9/2011 9:46:49 AM|2|4|Error compiling export sources: c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Indicator\anaTradersDynamicIndex.cs(5 8,11) : error CS0433: The type 'NinjaTrader.Indicator.SMA' exists in both 'c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\FeltonTradingTrendMA1.dll' and 'c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\VisualSMA.dll'
                      12/9/2011 9:46:49 AM|2|4|Error compiling export sources: c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Indicator\anaTradersDynamicIndex.cs(5 9,11) : error CS0433: The type 'NinjaTrader.Indicator.SMA' exists in both 'c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\FeltonTradingTrendMA1.dll' and 'c:\Users\hpuser\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\VisualSMA.dll'"

Then I deleted the assemblies above, and recompiled the indicators. I created a new back up and was able to import successfully. So, I didn't need to export the ninjascripts individually.

You can close this case.

Comment

To move the indicators to the other PC please Export the indicators by going to File-->Utilities-->Export NinjaScript.

After exporting the indicators the file can be found in Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->bin-->Custom-->Export NinjaScript.

Move this .zip file to the other PC then go to File-->Utilities-->Import NinjaScript and select the .zip file-->Click Open.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over Exporting NinjaScript files as well.

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...stribution.htm
                        The trick is to perform this operation before calling up a workspace on the new PC. If you don't (and I didn't), and you save the Workspace upon exiting NT, then those missing indicators won't appear on your charts even though they're now imported because the newly saved workspace didn't include them.

Guess I'll need to go back to the old PC one more time for that original version of the workspace.

dwt__

Comment

Originally posted by dwt__ View Post
                          The trick is to perform this operation before calling up a workspace on the new PC. If you don't (and I didn't), and you save the Workspace upon exiting NT, then those missing indicators won't appear on your charts even though they're now imported because the newly saved workspace didn't include them.

Guess I'll need to go back to the old PC one more time for that original version of the workspace.

dwt__
                          thanks.. I gotta go back to the old one 1 more time too now

Comment

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...stribution.htm
                            I have a question in regards to this.

I frequently code custom indicator and strategies and use both UserDefinedMethod files on my work computer.

When I backup the files at work, I restore them at home without any problems.

Now this long weekend I did the reverse and worked from home and restored the file at work but got the same error messages. UserDefinedMethods are now blank...

Now to resolve this problem and going forward should I be exporting the UserDefinedMethods files for indicators and strategies?

Thx
                            IJ

Comment

Can you tell me what specific error message you are receiving.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Taddypole, 04-26-2024, 02:47 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Eduardo  
                              Started by futtrader, 04-21-2024, 01:50 AM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes