Global Chart Objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yellowTrader View Post
    Alfred, Thanks for the input. I will keep that in mind.
    But if there is an issue with NT behaving this way from time to time which seems you have also experienced then the real solution is to have NT team address this problem .
    Am going to do a restore once a week or so...to see that backup / restore continues to work OK with objects...I suspect a corrupt chart or workspace could be the problem with no objects restored...new charts and a new workspace have always fixed this problem so far...

Comment

You mentioned a corrupt chart or workspace causes this issue . How is a workspace corrupted when all the charts in it are working fine except one which doesn't have its' drawing objects?
      Is it possible for only one chart in the workspace to get corrupted?
      and if so then how do you transfer all those objects to the new chart ?

Comment

Hi yellowTrader,

It is possible for just one chart to be effected or many charts - in short, a workspace corruption can lead to unexpected behavior. Unfortunately, it's not possible to transfer objects out of a specific chart - they are tied to that chart once placed.
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Kyle,
          So when a chart gets corrupted then we are out of luck and all those objects are gone I suppose?
          hmmm.... what causes them to corrupt? and is there anything I can do to minimize this occurance?

Comment

Hi yellowTrader,

Correct - once the workspace has become corrupted, it's feasible that settings in the workspace will be lost. These corruptions can occur for many reasons, most common amongst them unexpected shut downs (crashes, power loss, etc.) The best thing that can possibly be done by you is to periodically backup.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
              Hi yellowTrader,

Correct - once the workspace has become corrupted, it's feasible that settings in the workspace will be lost. These corruptions can occur for many reasons, most common amongst them unexpected shut downs (crashes, power loss, etc.) The best thing that can possibly be done by you is to periodically backup.
              Kyle...

I just created a new workspace with 2 new charts...set both charts to show global objects...put a global object on both charts...plus put a regular non global object both charts...then did a backup....then deleted all objects both charts....closed workspace...then did a restore....opened workspace ....the non global objects restored OK...but global objects did not restore....

Can you duplicate this procedure & verify whether global objects should restore or not in a new workspace...??

Incidentally...should one close workspaces before doing a restore ??

Yesterday did a backup at end of the trading day with my one main workspace open...then deleted all objects (many global)...then did a restore....here again the non global objects would restore OK and the global objects did not restore.

Perhaps I was incorrect stating earlier that global objects would restore OK in a new workspace...??...might have been making an error there....

Thanks....
              Last edited by Alfred; 10-28-2011, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Alfred,

What options were included in the backup?

Comment

Kyle....

Everything except historical data and replay data...

Comment

Hi Alfred,

I was able to recreate your result and I'm following up with development now. I'll update this thread as I receive more information.

Comment

Sounds good....

Thanks...

Comment

Restore question...

Have noticed that when doing a restore, a workspace must first be closed to be restored....while if a workspace is open when one elects to do a restore, nothing gets restored there...then if you close that workspace and do another restore, the restore will then appear OK upon reopening the workspace...

Is this correct...that all workspaces must first be closed in order to restore them correctly....?? There is nothing in the NT Help area on this.....

Thanks....

Comment

Hello,

It will still restore however if you save the workspace when you close it or close NinjaTrader and click yes to all this will overwrite your restored workspace with your old one.

Its always a good idea to have NinjaTrader shutdown when restoring backups. I like to always just double click on the backup file to start the restore with NinjaTrader shut down.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                            Hello,

It will still restore however if you save the workspace when you close it or close NinjaTrader and click yes to all this will overwrite your restored workspace with your old one.

Its always a good idea to have NinjaTrader shutdown when restoring backups. I like to always just double click on the backup file to start the restore with NinjaTrader shut down.

One more question this backup restore area....when doing a backup....does it perhaps make any difference if workspaces are open or closed ??

Thanks...

Comment

Hello,

It should not many any difference if the workspace is open or closed, as long as you are not actively making changes to this workspace during this process.
                              MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                                Hello,

Still looking at this area....when a workspace is open and one does a restore ...chart draw tools (non global) will not restore on a chart....they will only restore if the workspace is closed before the restore...is this a bug or is this expected...??

Thanks....

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by DJ888, Today, 10:57 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post DJ888
                                by DJ888

Started by MacDad, 02-25-2024, 11:48 PM
                                7 responses