Large Monitor Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Monitor Issue

I have a 3-monitor setup. One large 23" Acer monitor with full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution and a 17" Acer monitor on each side with 1280 x 1024 resolution.

The last two nights were my first two nights of running NT on more than just a side monitor. They were also my first two nights of using real-time kinetick data. Both nights, NT froze on large volume spikes. At first I thought the problem may be related to using Kinetick data, but I played around with a few things and discovered, that, in fact, there seems to be a problem with running NT charts on my large monitor. I'm not sure if it caused the freezing, but without a doubt, the when I run a chart on the large monitor, after a while if not immediately, the chart response slows down. For instance, the cursor stops moving in a fluid manner and starts to stick or hesitate. However, if I move the chart onto one of my smaller monitors, it immediately returns to normal with the cursor moving fluidly.

The last two nights, I was running 7.6, so I downloaded and installed the newest version. While I have not had any freezes yet, I am experiencing the same issue with a 'slow' chart on the large monitor that acts normally on my smaller monitors.

I have never had any graphics problems and have run both high-end 3d graphics games and video editing software on this machine with no problems, whatsoever, so I don't think its my hardware. It should have no problem handling a 2d charting package. In fact, I've used several others with no problem.

Any ideas what might be causing this and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!

Srgtroy, I would not be aware of similiar issue already reported or experienced - thanks for posting. Are all those displayed powered by the same graphics card that would run the latest supported drivers (non beta ones)?

Is there any custom display management software running that would be effective only on the HD screen? Just thinking here as games for example would completely bypass this likely by running via DirectX intefaces...

It would also help me if you could forward your diagnostic trace / logs files via Help > Mail to Support to me.

Thanks,
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have two graphics cards installed. My main one is an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX with 768 MB of graphics ram. It powers the large monitor and one of the smaller ones. A second Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT powers the second small monitor.

You are correct to point out that I do not have the latest drivers, probably because I haven't had any problems recently, but I will now update to the latest and see if that makes a difference.

The only graphics control panel is the stock Nvidia Control Panel, but I don't think that would have any affect. It's just a fancy settings app.

By the way, NT with Kinetick worked flawlessly this morning on one of my smaller monitors during a very high volume event, further underscoring the large monitor issue.

I will forward my logs as well.

Thanks!
      Last edited by Srgtroy; 09-08-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Just wondering... Someday I'm going to get that 30" dell u3011 LOL and run other monitors.

How many charts are you running?

Are you using full screen of the charts? How many days/ticks are showing? How many indicators applied to each chart?

I've got about 4 charts on my laptop (jan 2008 intel dual core txx50? chip, nvidia chip), and 3 charts on 2nd monitor (1600x1200).. windows vista 32 bit. no major issues here like that.

Originally posted by Srgtroy View Post
        I have two graphics cards installed. My main one is an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX with 768 MB of graphics ram. It powers the large monitor and one of the smaller ones. A second Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT powers the second small monitor.

You are correct to point out that I do not have the latest drivers, probably because I haven't had any problems recently, but I will now update to the latest and see if that makes a difference.

The only graphics control panel is the stock Nvidia Control Panel, but I don't think that would have any affect. It's just a fancy settings app.

By the way, NT with Kinetick worked flawlessly this morning on one of my smaller monitors during a very high volume event, further underscoring the large monitor issue.

I will forward my logs as well.

Thanks!

Comment

I have 2 23" Acer monitors similar to yours and an older 22". I did not trace a slowness problem I was having to my monitors, but a suggestion I have might help.

If you minimize all other charts on all other monitors (not close, just minimize to the Taskbar) and see any performance improvement on your large monitor, it may be because something on the chart(s) - maybe an indicator that you don't have on the others - is eating up CPU cycles.

From what I read in past posts, Ninja uses Windows Forms (unless this changed from a past post I read), which does not use the GPU processing power but instead uses your main CPU for the graphics.

If you minimize a chart to the Taskbar, the CPU is not using cycles to repaint it.

This is especially important if you have an indicator(s) that use Draw commands (arrows, dots, etc) and run it to update on every tick.

I removed almost all the Draw commands in my code and my chart hesitation problems went away.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by warreng86, 11-10-2020, 02:04 PM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post mathewlo  
          Started by Perr0Grande, Today, 08:16 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Perr0Grande