Trying to switch to Global Sim mode after Live orders doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to switch to Global Sim mode after Live orders doesn't work

I have noticed that after I trade for a while with live orders, when I try to select the "Global Simulation Mode" option on the File menu, NinjaTrader does not let me do this, It always pops up with a message saying "You have 1 running strategy(s) on a live account. You can't switch to global simulation mode". The first time this came up it worried me because I thought I had an open position somewhere I had missed, but that is never the case. If I click on the Stategies tab it is completely empy, there are no open positions, and no working orders shown. Furthermore, my broker's interface also shows the same state - nothing running, no open orders or positions. So why is NT not letting me switch back to global sim mode? This would be handy to be able to do when walking away from the computer so no live orders get triggered if a key was accidentally pressed somehow....

Hello JS999,

Unfortunately, it seems your database got corrupted. It reports you have a strategy running while this is not the case. In order to solve the issue, please try repairing your database first.

Disconnect from your data feed(s) and go to Control Center-->Tools-->Options-->Data-tab and click Repair DB. Connect to your data feed again and check if you can enable Global Simulation Mode.

If not, please rename your database. Please rename your database with the following steps :
    • Shutdown NinjaTrader and Go to the Start Menu
    • Select My Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> DB--> NinjaTrader.SDF.
    • Right click on NinjaTrader.SDF and select "Rename." *Name it "OLDNinjaTrader.SDF."
    • Then restart the software and NinjaTrader will create a fresh database file to use
    • Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost:– ATM Strategy templates, Session templates, Instrument Lists/Custom Instruments and historical trade execution data
    To prevent running into situations where you can potentially lose important data, we advise to run regular backups via our inbuild backup feature in NinjaTrader - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...up_archive.htm

If you have a backup file that was created when you did not experience this issue, please restore that backup file. It will restore the database when it was not corrupted and it will restore all other settings in the state when you created the backup file.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I tried the first solution, repairing the DB didn't work. I will try the second solution at some later point I guess, since this isn't 100% critical at the moment and I don't feel like resetting everything. I'll let you know if that doesn't work.

Comment

Renaming the database works , but...

Well, I just had to do this database rename fix. I also had the dreaded "You have 1 running strategy(s) on a live account. You can't switch to global simulation mode"
        Not exactly sure how the software it got itself knotted up, but I was making some live order modifications using the chart trader.
        Anywayz.. this works but yes you loss all your trade journal data. I did save a bunch of it first for reference. Man, trading can be quite the jorney. I never expected to be doing some of this stuff. Chalk it up to learning thy software. Hope they fix this bug a boo.

Comment

---------------------------
          Error
          You have 1 running strategy(s) on a live account.

You can't switch to global simulation mode
          OK

I get the same thing.....is this the only way???????

Or how can i "FIND" the supposed live and working strategy and delete it?

Comment

Hello nttrader1,

You can view all active strategies in the Control Center-->Strategies-tab.

If you cannot find any reference of this strategy in NinjaTrader, it is likely still referenced in your database. Please rename your database and to solve the error.
            • Shutdown NinjaTrader and Go to the Start Menu
            • Select My Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> DB--> NinjaTrader.SDF.
            • Right click on NinjaTrader.SDF and select "Rename." *Name it "OLDNinjaTrader.SDF."
            • Then restart the software and NinjaTrader will create a fresh database file to use
            • Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost – ATM Strategy templates, Session templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments and historical trade execution data
            To prevent running into situations where you can potentially lose important data, we advise to run regular backups via our inbuild backup feature in NinjaTrader - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/creating_a_backup_archive.htm
            JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have this same problem. My solution was to disconnect from my data provider, then switch to Global Simulation Mode while NinjaTrader is offline, then reconnect. If I turn off Global Simulation Mode, I have to disconnect again to turn it on.

I did find an 'orphan' strategy in my Control Panel / Strategies tab and removed it, but that didn't help.

I'd like to solve this by deleting my .SDF file but I have too much stuff important in there. If I backed up everything except Database (Historical trade data) would that work? Does the 'Templates' backup cause all templates to be backed up including ATM strategies?

-Alex

Comment

Hello,

Unfortunately the SDF would need to be replaced with a fresh copy to resolve this.

I am interested in how you got in this position in the first place, do you remember what steps you took to get this to occur on your side the first time?

-Brett

Comment

Unfortunately I have no idea. Usually when I'm done with NinjaTrader, I just flatten everything, disconnect and shut it down, answering "yes" to saving my workspaces. If I try to disconnect with any orders active, it will tell me. I don't usually try to switch back to Global Simulation Mode once I'm live.

When I did so today, the error message popped up. My strategies tab showed a strategy running that didn't exist in any of my open workspaces, so I removed it. I am not sure if that was the root of the problem, but the problem is still there.

If I perform a selective backup, to exclude the database, then delete my sdf file and restore that backup, I'll get back everything except my trade history, but I don't know if this will also restore the problem.

-Alex

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for that information.

As you mention you dont go into Global Simulation Mode very often so it could have happened at any time really. Which is the hard part about this bug that makes it hard for me to track down. If after you reset you could check every day that you can go back to global sim mode so that we know the exact day this occurred and I can do advanced analysis on log and trace files if this happens again it would be appreciated so that I can look into preventing this from ever occurring in the future.

As far as the restore idea it would need to be tried to see if it would or would not restore the problem.

-Brett

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                      As far as the restore idea it would need to be tried to see if it would or would not restore the problem.
                      I backed up everything except the database and then backed up just the database in case I need to restore it. I deleted the ninjatrader.sdf file, then restored the first backup minus database. I don't get the error message anymore when switching Global Simulation Mode on and off while connected.

My workspaces and all my code are intact, but I lost all of my ATM strategies and instrument lists. Is there any way to back up those separately? My ATM strategies and instrument lists were pretty extensive.

-Alex

Comment

Unfortunately not as they are all in the DB and the DB needs to be replaced to clear the bug.

-Brett

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
                        0 responses
                        1 view
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Jon17
                        by Jon17

Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM