Displaying Index Volume from Kinetick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Displaying Index Volume from Kinetick

The nice folk at Kinetick were helpful enough to point me in the direction of what symbols to use to get market data, such as volume data for indexes like the NYSE (VINT.Z).

Now, I would like to plot this in a volume bar chart, below the NYSE OHLC data. The problem is that NT is reading the VINT.Z as an instrument (which technically it is, I guess) and gives me only price display options (like candlesticks, boxes, line on close) to plot the NYSE Volume. So I can't seem to make a nice bar chart plot.

Any thoughts or forum links? I've attached an image. My own name for the instrument is ^TVOLN. The plot I am talking about is above. When I plot the volume for ^TVOLN (i.e. VINT.Z), I get "1's" straight across the board.

The only solution I can think of is building a special VOL indicator that routes the close values for the VINT.Z (or any other index) to the output and plots that as a bar.
    Attached Files

Hello Linkster,

Unfortunately, this is as expected. Volume data is not supported for indices with Kinetick. NinjaTrader substitutes the volume with values of 1 (zero volume values would cause issues).
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I figured as much, which is isn't a problem or a black mark on NT.

So given NT can't use Kinetick's volume data directly, is there some thread or place in the NT educational material that talks about how to load in an instrument, use the values in an indicator, but not show the instrument's values directly in a chart?

Might the Relative Strength example in the help manual be a good starting point for figuring out how rig NT to do what I want?

Comment

Linkster, if you would like to use the values of the series but not display it, you could always create a MulitSeries study in NinjaScript - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...nstruments.htm
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you very much - it seemed like that might be the ticket.

I'll give it a shot and if I get into trouble, I'll post a question on this thread.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post inanazsocial  
          Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post trilliantrader