Trend lines in different time frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trend lines in different time frames

Is there any future plan to be able to keep a trend line that I draw on say a daily chart to be visible and correct on say a 1 minute chart? It's s shame that you are able to scale out to daily charts so that you can draw trends lines, only to have them disappear or get distorted when you zoom in to 1-minute or even 15 minute or eve 30 minute chart.

I hope I am explaining it right, but if not, do this: go to a daily chart. Draw a line, any line, starting as far back as you can, and draw it so it goes far to the right so that it intercepts the last days price range. Now go to the minute chart. There should be a line cutting through there, but at least on my charts, there is not. That sucks. In all sorts of ways. Could you guys fix that please?

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

In order to have this line visible within the Minute based chart you will be required to have the plot point included in the current chart data as referenced in the attached screen shot.

I will however forward this note to our development team for future enahancements to the NinjaTrader platform.

Once this suggestion has been input into our tracking system I will forward you the assigned ID number for tracking.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
    Attached Files
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
      ...you will be required to have the plot point included in the current chart data as referenced in the attached screen shot...
      So, this is something that I can do? And you mean the beginning x,y coordinates (plot point?) of the line or both the beginning and the end? And if so, can you tell me how I can go about including these plot points in the chart?

Comment

You will only need to have one of the three anchor points included in the current days data in order to view this within a Minute based chart in the current release of NinjaTrader.

Comment

I can't find the change log online. But I have 7.0.1000.1, so do I need to upgrade versions?

Comment

Yes please upgrade to NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.6 at the link I have provided which also included specific steps for this upgrade.

Comment

in favor of this motion

First, i want to say than i am loving the power that ninja trader can give the user, i am amazed playing with the user guide, but this is quite an important fact for those of us that like to use trend lines during the decision making, and it would be great if the lines (and their relationships) were more accurate when changing from time frames;

Sometimes in the middle of the market action it is a little bit disadvantageus to have to aling manually with precision the points near the action, for get accuracy.

I sugest you (NT team) to make varius lines in a chart and then change time frames, and scroll the chart and play with the scales and the projections, for the sake of the software.

Best greetings.
              Last edited by andes; 08-04-2011, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Hi andes,

Thanks for your kind words and welcome to the NinjaTrader forums! We appreciate the feedback given to make the platform even better.
                Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

an usefull solution

Hello RyanM, thanks for the welcome, and for trader_Rick and those wondering how to solve this situation, i have found that the best way to keep accuracy in a trend line and it´s projection when changing timeframes is using the ray drawing tool (F3) instead of the line tool (F2).

Comment

Hello!
                    Is there any solution to the problem described in post #1 yet?

What is the best way to draw a correct trend line in a 5 min chart that starts about a year ago?

Regards,
                    poseidon_sthlm

Comment

Originally posted by poseidon_sthlm View Post
                      Hello!
                      Is there any solution to the problem described in post #1 yet?

What is the best way to draw a correct trend line in a 5 min chart that starts about a year ago?

Regards,
                      poseidon_sthlm

I have tested this again within NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.9 and and Extended Line continues to be displayed when all 3 points are not visible within the chart window therefore this appears to be resolved.

Comment

This is definitely not resolved. I am evaluating this product and just downloaded 7.0.1000.10 yesterday. One of the first things I did was open a chart of the S&P500 and drew some trendlines. After a bunch of fiddling, I was able to find the feature to apply trendlines to all charts, but that doesn't work properly either.

Attached is a screenshot of a daily S&P chart on the left, and a 60 minute S&P chart on the right. You can see the trendlines defining a channel on the left. The upper trendline shows up on the right, but completely in the wrong place - in the center of the channel. The lower trendline doesn't show up at all.

I'm really surprised that this isn't working, it's pretty basic functionality and easy to reproduce.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Can you tell if you have "Snap Mode" enabled for your drawing object? If so please delete your line-->Disable Snap Mode and apply your line once again.

Please let me know if the issue persists after this procedure.

Comment

Hi Christopher, thanks for the quick reply.

Snap mode was enabled, I disabled it. Re-drawing the lines, the upper trendline is somewhat better, but still inaccurate. The bottom trendline still fails to show up at all.

EDIT - I was able to get the upper trendline to be accurate by reloading the 60 minute data series, AND the bottom trendline showed up. However, the bottom trendline is wildly innaccurate on the 60 minute chart.
                            Last edited by LiquidDrift; 08-02-2012, 11:16 AM.

Comment

No problem at all, glad to help out. Please open your lower line properties window-->Enable "Auto Scale" the click Ok.

Let me know if your lower line then is displayed in both chart windows.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                              Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes