Can I trust Ninjatrader anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I trust Ninjatrader anymore?

This morning was trading NQ short. Thought I had met my trading goal based on chart trader profit and thinking I should have stayed in that short much longer than my usual scalp trade, but oh well.... as they say, can't go broke taking profits.

For some reason decided to check my performance and generated the performance report for the day. Unfortuantely it didn't agree with the chart trader value. So checked order list and noticed they didn't line up with what I thought I had done.

Immediately called broker to find out to my shock that I was LONG NQ where I thought I had closed position!! And over 10 POINTS against me. Broker immediately flattened my account. Next thing I look back at Ninja and it shows me back in short NQ. If only that were the case as the market kept going from there but it was a phantom order showing on Ninja.

So can I trust what Ninja says anymore. Do I need to keep the order window up all the time to verify every trade I take? This has totally shaken my trust in the platform.

How does this happen??

Hello rsmtrade

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

So that we may investigate, please send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with 'ATTN: Kyle' in the subject line.

In the message, please include the following:

1.) Log file from the date of the trade: Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log > log.YYYYMMDD.txt

2.) Trace file from the date of the trade: Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace > trace.YYYYMMDD.txt

3.) A link to this forum thread.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason responded via email as follows. Really shakes ones confidence... not sure if I have a problem with internet as well given the fact there was a disconnection. I use hardwired connection.

I investigated your files and it reflects the following.
      At 9:30:28 AM, you submitted a sell order which fills about 25 seconds later. Shortly after, you submit a buy order at 2413.25. It receives a 'Working' status, meaning it resides at the broker/exchange.
      At 9:32:11 AM, you experience a disconnection for 1 second. Once reconnected, the buy order is filled. However, the position update that NinjaTrader receives after this execution still reflects a short position.

7/27/2011 9:32:12 AM|1|64|Instrument='NQ 09-11' Account='******' Avg price=2411.5 Quantity=1 Market position=Short Operation=Update Currency=UsDollar

Position updates are provided by CQG. Unfortunately, I am not sure why CQG sent the position update above while it should have been flat. Please contact your broker as well and check if they can clarify why CQG sent such a position update to NinjaTrader.

Comment

Hello Randy,

As mentioned by email, the short position was still reflected after the execution of the buy order since NinjaTrader received a position update from CQG reporting a short position.

Position updates are provided by CQG and not NinjaTrader calculated. Unfortunately, I do not know why CQG sent such a position update.

You experienced a disconnect/re-connect at the same second the order was executed. This is likely related since you did not experience a disconnection when position updates we received properly.

Can you please send me the email address of your broker (by email), so I can send him a note to verify why such a position update was received in NinjaTrader.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Sure Jason. Sent broker name by email.

So I've been looking at trace and log files now that I have an idea what they are about and notice that I get a disconnect and reconnect almost every hour. (the last disconnect and reconnect at 7:41 I did maually) Is that normal? Is it an internet issue on my part? Is CQG doing something? Just wondering. Here the log for today which shows the disconnect and reconnect as I let Ninjatrader keep running because I like to have the Gomi files updated.

Would be nice if Ninja could find a way to provide that kind of data. PLEASE??
          Attached Files
          Last edited by rsmtrade; 07-28-2011, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I will contact the broker as soon as you provide his email address, see my email.

CQG was having server side issues. This resulted in frequent disconnections. CQG has put in a fix yesterday to solve these disconnections. Do you still experience a disconnect every hour this morning?

Comment

Yes to the connection issues. See the trace file attached to previous post.

Comment

We are working with CQG to solve these hourly disconnect/reconnects.

Can you please tell me if you have any 3rd party indicators installed. If so, please tell me which ones.

Comment

I have various indicators installed including Gomi recorder and indicators, various indicators downloaded from bigmiketrading such as Felton indicators posted there and some others.. can email you a complete list if you want I guess.

Comment

Yes, if you could provide me a list of all 3rd party indicators that would be great.

If you are willing to test, can you please uninstall all 3rd party indicators. Subsequently, check if the hourly disconnection recurs. If so, you can reinstall all 3rd party indicators again.

If not, please install one 3rd party indicator and check if the disconnection recurs. Please proceed this way until the disconnection occurs and tell me what 3rd party indicator you added last.

Comment

How about if I install Ninja on another computer without any third party indicators and then see how it behaves? Is that OK within the license agreement?

Comment

Yes, you can try that as well. This is not against the license agreement - as long as you do not trade live from 2 computers simultaneously using the same live license key.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                          Yes, if you could provide me a list of all 3rd party indicators that would be great.

If you are willing to test, can you please uninstall all 3rd party indicators. Subsequently, check if the hourly disconnection recurs. If so, you can reinstall all 3rd party indicators again.

If not, please install one 3rd party indicator and check if the disconnection recurs. Please proceed this way until the disconnection occurs and tell me what 3rd party indicator you added last.
                          The hourly disconnects are alive and well. (Well they are still happening, at any rate: I am not sure "well" is the correct word to describe that situation).
                          Attached Files

Comment

CQG is going to apply a server side fix during maintenance today. They have identified the issue.

@rsmtrade, no need to install NinjaTrader on the other computer to troubleshoot the issue.

Comment

Awesome job guys! Thanks for getting to the bottom of this.

You have definitely shown me how professional you guys are.

Thanks again.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Anfedport  
                              Started by iceman2018, Today, 05:07 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes