Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z Order Not Working

hello there

for some reason i have lost the ability to change the z order on my charts. on any chart i load, i can change the order on panel 1 with price, but for any additional panel i add with indicators i simply get 1/1 no matter how many layers i add to that panel

any help would be greatly appreciated

thx

Hi jibynn,

Thanks for reporting this.

Could you please open a new workspace (File > Workspaces > New Workspace) then add a new chart and apply a few indicators to see if the same issue occurs there?
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

hi kyle thx for the help

so i opened a new workspace, new chart, and with the same indicators the same problem occurs, no z-order just 1/1 (1 layer).

however, when i use different indicators (just random ones) i can adjust the order, so it seems possibly the problem is with the indicator?

Comment

Hi jibynn,

Interesting - can you tell me which combination of indicators do show the issue?

Comment

ok, did some more testing, and the problem seems to occur anytime i load the same indicator on the same panel.

for example, if a load a 5 period RSI, 10 period RSI, and a 15 period RSI all on panel 2, they all show as 1 layer (1/1) and there is no way to adjust the layers

however if i load a RSI, a Stoch, and a CCI, everything works as normal and i have 3 adjustable layers

Comment

Hi jibynn,

I'm seeing different behavior here - on my end, I am able to switch Z order on the 3 RSI's.

Which build of NinjaTrader are you using? (Help > About)

Comment

ya it used to work perfectly fine this seems to be a new problem

i am using nt7, version 7.0.1000.6

Comment

Hi jibynn,

So that I'm totally sure I'm following the same steps, can you (with as much detail as possible) walk me through the steps you're taking to apply the indicators and test?

You and I are using the same indicator code and NinjaTrader version in this test, so our results should be the same. I expect I'm missing a step in my testing.

Comment

ok, just so we're clear i used to be able to adjust the z order no problem but for some reason now i can't.

is there any saved data that would effect this that i can reset?

here is what i'm doing:

-open new workspace
                  -new chart, template none
                  -add 3 of the same indicators, for example: RSI (5), RSI (10), RSI (15) or CCI (5), CCI (10), CCI (15), etc
                  -place all 3 indicators into same panel (panel 2)

then when i try to adjust the z order of the 3 RSI in panel 2, i simply get one layer (1/1) when i scroll the mouse holding shift

Comment

Hi jibynn,

Are you assigning the indicators to panel 2 via the Indicators menu when applying them or are you dragging and dropping?

Comment

via the indicator window

Comment

Hi jibynn,

Please shut down NinjaTrader, then open the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Workspaces folder. Select all files from that folder, then move them to your desktop.
                        Finally, restart NinjaTrader and try to recreate this issue once more.

Comment

ok moved workspaces to desktop. tried the same thing same problem only 1 layer in panel 2

Comment

Hi jibynn,

Thanks for giving that a try - you can go ahead and reverse that proceedure.

After doing so, please send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with 'ATTN: Kyle' in the subject line.

With the message, please include:

1.) A link to this forum thread.

2.) A copy of today's trace file.
                            You'll find that file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
                            The file I need will be named 'trace.20110727.txt'.

Comment

Me too

For the record, I have the same problem, and this is not the first time I've seen it. But it sneaks up on me, so I can't pinpoint a cause. What I see, though, is that Z-Order works fine until it doesn't. And when it doesn't, I see the same thing jibynn is seeing: When there are multiple instances of the same indicator (like multiple EMAs, for example), Z-Order counts all those instances as taking up a single Z-Order layer.

The first screen shot below is of a chart showing the problem, and the second is of the indicator window for that chart. There are six objects in the price panel (price candles, Bollinger band, SMA and three EMAs) but Z-Order only presents a choice of four levels. It appears the three EMAs are being treated as one object. And FYI, if I open a brand new chart in a brand new workspace, the problem persists.

(I also don't remember what made this problem go away in the past, but I vaguely recall it was dumping the database and letting it rebuild. But I'd sure love a way out of this without having to lose the database.)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by kaywai, Today, 06:26 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post kaywai
                              by kaywai

Started by ct, 05-07-2023, 12:31 PM
                              6 responses