Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

details on TradeStation as data feed

Hello,

I am currently auto-trading equities over TradeStation, but due to numerous issues I seriously consider switching to NT (and IB as my new broker).

After going through various posts in this forum I still have some open questions. I would very much appreciate your input to clearify a few those:

1. Using TS as a datafeed:
    - From what I have read here it appears to me that I need to have TS running so that data gets sent from an indicator that's running in a chart inside TS. Is that correct?
    Is there no direct connection from NT to a TS data feed? Does that mean that for every symbol that I want to trade via NT I also need to open a chart for the same symbol in TS in order to provide the data?
    - Would that setup be viable for data on a tick basis? Or would I need to aggregate it into i.e., 1-min candles before making it available to NT?

2. Data feed in general:
    - I would like to track MANY symbols (anywhere from 100 to 1,000) in parallel on a tick basis. That's only stocks & ETFs. So far I have not run into any problems with TS as far as data feed or processing limits are concerned. IB and Kinetick appear to limit the number of symbols that you can track in parallel (even upgrades don't seem to get me beyond 500 symbols). Any suggestions what data feeds (stocks & ETFs!) would enable me to do that?
    - Is NT capable of running strategies on so many symbols (I don't need charts for the symbols, just the ability to run a 100% automated strategy).

3. Scanning and strategy execution:
    - Is it possible for NT to scan equities based on daily data (daily O/H/L/C & Volume), but then in an automatic way start an intraday strategy that runs the next day for any symbols that passed the scanner and qualified? No charting needed, just generation and tracking of orders.

Thanks for helping,
    NutFlush

Hello NutFlush,

Thank you for your note.

1) When using the TradeStation data feed, that is correct. You use an indicator inside TS that transmits the data to NinjaTrader.
    There is no direct connection to the TS data feed as this is proprietary and you would need a chart open in TS with the indicator applied for every instrument.

This data will come in as a tick by tick basis but needs to be applied to a 1 minute chart in TS. Note this is only Real-Time Tick data, historical data would need to be imported.

2) Regarding the data feeds, I only know that Kinetick offers up to 500 at one time. IB might offer more but you would need to contact them for the full details.

NinjaTrader can run as many strategies as your computer and internet connection can handle. Each strategy is independent from other strategies and accounts.

3) You will need to manually enable the strategy. Even if it needs to calculate the data before placing entries and exits.
    CameronNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Cameron,

thanks for answering so quickly!

One follow up question regarding:
      Each strategy is independent from other strategies and accounts.
      Can I run strategies with live data and mix real money accounts and play money accounts? One symbol would be traded live for real money, while I would test another strategy on another symbol using a play money account. Does that work even for the same symbol (i.e., have 2 windows for the same symbol, but only one is connected to a real money account while the other one uses play money with a different strategy)?

Also one more question regarding exchange of data within the application:
      Can I pass data from one symbol/indicator/strategy to another one that's running on another symbol? I.e., I want to calculate whether symbol #2 has fallen/risen more intraday vs. yesterday's CLOSE than symbol #1 (which would serve as my benchmark). Therefeore I want to make symbol #1's current price difference [%] available to other strategies running on other symbols. If there's some documentation or posts on this topic then it would be great if you could give me the according link(s).

Thanks,
      NutFlush

Comment

Hello NutFlush,

Yes, this is possible. You would run two strategies - one on a live account and one on a simulation account. Please see the links below for instructions to apply an automated strategy.

Chart

Strategies-tab

Yes, you can use multiple time frames and instruments within 1 strategy you program in NinjaScript. Please see the following link for more information.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ninjatrader can replay a stock on weekend. Can I use NT to feed Tradestation to test my TS' strategy on weekend?

Thanks.

ccl3093

Comment

Hello ccl3093,

Thank you for your note.

Unfortunately, you cannot use NinjaTrader's Market Replay to feed data into TradeStation to test your TradeStation Strategies.

The link is only for TradeStation data to feed into NinjaTrader.
            CameronNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by hurleydood, 09-12-2019, 10:45 AM
            14 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Board game geek  
            Started by cre8able, Yesterday, 04:16 PM
            1 response
            0 likes