Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawing objects bug - rectangle

Hi,
    I am aware this is an oldie but I need some feedback on fix. I have NT7 v1.000.5.
    My manually drawn rectangles either fail to synch across multiple charts (Attach to: All charts checked). Sometimes the rectangles fail to extend to the designated time, or refuses to accept 'end time' beyond the visible chart to the right.

K

Hello,

Thanks for the note.

Can you please create a test case between two charts and detail these two charts settings so I can duplicate this on my side and look into this.

Please let me know for both charts.

What time frame chart.

Also, if you right click on rectangle and go to properties and then go to data tab was data is in the data tab please let me know the data of the rectangle.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Hi Brett,
      Nothing special in my chart setups. Couple of volume & a single PnF charts. When I manually place a rectangle with end time any where before session end, it 'auto resets' to something like an hour into the future. I constantly have to update the rectangle as time passes.

If you like, I am happy to allow you to remote connect to me platform.

K

Comment

Hello,

Ok and if you right click and to properties on the rectangle. What is shown for both charts for start and end time?

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Brett,
          On the properties settings, all charts depict the same exact 'end time' as was set on the primary chart.
          The issues:
          1 - The rectangles fail to sync to the 'end time' settings. Some charts will have the rectangle ending way before the designated 'end time' setting.
          2 - I cannot, or rather the 'end time' field will not accept anything more than an hour into the future. If I did try to set a time in the afternoon for example, it will 'auto reset' to something like an hour beyond the current exchange time.
          3 - To overcome the above, I continuously have to update the 'end time' on two occasions. Either when the 'end time' setting has reached, or when the rectangle/s fail to maintain 'sync' and I have to refresh the respective chart's rectangle (even though the 'end time' is same as the primary chart - dot point 1 above).

Hope the above provides more light to the issue I am faced with on a daily basis.

K

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for that information.

I will attempt to duplicate this on my side. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

Hello,

Ok this is expected.

Reason it is expected is NinjaTrader has no way of knowing how many bars a tick chart will form in 1 hour, or how many bars a volume chart will form in 1 hour. They could be different. Thus we cant it to a dedicated place on the chart in a time to the future.

This would work on minute charts however. If you try to do this on 2 minute charts it should work no problem.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Hi Brett,
                I had no idea there was a design limitation. So I went ahead to test it for myself. I opened a 2 min chart with nothing else but price bars. Manually added a rectangle with an 'end time' sometime later tonight. It worked.

Then I changed the chart type to volume, and guess what? It works here too! See image. So I am now a little confused from your statement.

Could it be that any of my custom indicators 'interfere' with the normal operation of drawn objects? How can I test this out? I will try adding the custom indicators one by one and see what transpires. And how can I ensure custom codes do not break NT objects? Thanks for your help.

K
                Attached Files

Comment

You first drew the rectangle on a fixed-time interval chart, at which time NT calculated where to put the end. That locks in the parameters of the rectangle. If you now change the chart type, it makes no difference; the rectangle's properties do not get recalculated just because you change the time axis.

Comment

Koganam,
                    Well initially I thought you had a point. So started NT, opened a new 15k volume with nothing but price bars only. I placed a rectangle object with 'end time' way past last price. It worked! So from this, I may conclude drawn objects are not dictated by chart type.

I am drawn to believe one/or more of the custom indicators causes the abnormality to the rectangle objects. If only I know which one! Am I right? Hope to find out, or get help to 'fix' this issue.

Comment

Hm. That seems inconsistent, at the very least. Maybe not quite the order of a bug, but ...

The reason that I though that might be it, is that it is actually the trick I started using to get rectangles onto my tick and range charts, as I had noticed that very problem that you talk about. I would instead draw on a fixed-time interval chart, and make it a global object.

Maybe it really is an indicator that is causing the issue, but somehow, I really doubt it. Happy hunting.

Comment

Hi Brett,
                        At least now there is more than one person experiencing the subject matter. I have also spoken to people that are familiar with software development and the consensus is that, should an indicator be the cause then it is more likely to affect more than just a single drawn object. Further, if the platform is stable, the custom coded indicator should be the one to fail rather than the platform's inbuilt features. What does your development team say?

Though I alluded to a custom indicator being a suspect, I would still appreciate NT's feedback on this matter.

K

Comment

Hello,

My original post should still apply here unless I'm missing something. I doubt an indicator is the cause as it is expected on tick(Variable time scale charts) based time frames with dates out into the future with NinjaTrader. Since there is no reference point that would be the same between all charts this can happen from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                            Hello,

This would work on minute charts however. If you try to do this on 2 minute charts it should work no problem.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
                            Brett,
                            I overlooked this comment - unfortunately the time charts fail too. I tried the 2 min and others but still have the settings fields defaulting to some random time but not the time I put in. I also commented to koganam about this in this thread.

So as I see it this is still an issue.

Cheers

Comment

Hello,

Can you give me steps to duplicate this on a minute chart then I will look into. As I would not expect this on minute charts.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ZenCortexAuCost, Today, 04:24 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ZenCortexAuCost  
                              Started by ZenCortexAuCost, Today, 04:22 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes