newbie trying to collect data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie trying to collect data

Hi Im new to ninjatrader and need a little help adjusting from MT4 . I checked out the Data section of the help guide and didnt find what I need.

So basically, I connect to kinetick and open a chart and only see a few days worth of intraday data (15 & 30 min). I can access more historical data if I go up to daily weekly, etc data but I would like to have my chart show 15 and 30min data for more than a few days as well. Is it supposed to be like that? Im used to metatrader where intraday data is freely available for as far back as I would ever need. How can I accomplish this? Do I have to change a setting or do I need to start collecting the data myself and then importing it?

If so (if i must start collecting it), I know the format for FX minute data would be:
    yyyyMMdd HHmmss;open price;high price;low price;close price;volume

and the file format: $EURUSD.Ask.txt

but how would I get it into the text file to begin with. Im no expert programmer so if collecting data involves a programmatic solution please try to explain it in simple language. Thank you.

EDIT: I also noticed the Market Replay feature this sounds like exactly what I need but it this not available in the free version? Im still trying to develop my strategies and program them so Im not currently interested in a full license. Is there an alternative?
    Last edited by parliament718; 07-12-2011, 02:17 PM.

Hello,

Thanks for the forum post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

So I can answer your question fully. Are you using the kinetick free connection or the kinetick paid connection?

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      Im using the free connection.

Comment

Hello,

It is my pleasure.

The free connection supports daily data only. It does not support live data or historical intra-day data. Therefor to get live data or intra-day data you would need to subscribe to a live feed. Would recommend subscribing to www.kinetick.com . This will get you the data you need.

There is no free connection that offers live data or historical intra-day data.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

So does that mean there's no way for me to start my own collection without some kind of subscription? I don't need it live it could be end of week for all I care.

And why is that when I backtest a simple strategy in the strategy analyzer it backtests it as far back as 6 months on 15minute bars. So I can view all that data that I need by going to the "chart" tab in the backtest results windows but I cant simply view it in a regular chart window? I don't understand why this is so.

Comment

Hello,

Yes this is correct would require a subscription.

Also you are able to backtest this since most likely you were connected to a demo account at some point in time that had this data and it is cached to your local HD from the live connection you had in the past.

Comment

Well, is cached data accessible? I mean if its there why cant i just open it in a chart windows to analyze it instead of going through a backdoor to view it. Maybe I'm just badgering now but wouldn't that give a major advantage to developing in MQL for MetaTrader where more than enough data is always available to analyze and backtest regardless of your broker or account type?

Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Hello,

This is from another feed you had at some other time. This is expected to need a data feed to use NinjaTrader for intra-day or live data. Either your broker will provide this data to you for opening a broker account or you will want to pick up www.kinetick.com.

Comment

Hello NinjaTrader_Brett

I am looking for a new broker. Which brokers are offering free realtime data with NT? Also, what is the difference between NT LITE and standard NT?

Thank you

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the note and welcome to our forums.

Most brokers will provide there data for free if you have an account with them. Can only recommend contacting a few brokers. Make sure you contact brokers that support the data you need. Use this table for this information:

1st section under:

Also the differences between the direct edition is you do not have access to the chart trader/ninjascript strategies/ATM Strategies/OCO Orders for example that you would have access to in the full version of NinjaTrader.

Comment

RE:

"Also the differences between the direct edition is you do not have access to the chart trader/ninjascript strategies/ATM Strategies/OCO Orders for example that you would have access to in the full version of NinjaTrader."

Where can I get a list of the "trader/ninjascript strategies/ATM Strategies/" to see if I would be interested in them?

Thanks again

Comment

Hello,

Please email me at sales at ninjatrader dot com asking for the differences and we will be sure to get this to you and discuss with you further on this and if you have further questions.

Have a great rest of the day!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                        4 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post DJ888
                        by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes