Maximum Bars Lookback Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maximum Bars Lookback Confusion

If I have an indicator on a chart and I have MaximumBarsLookBack = MaximumBarsLookBack.Infinite then I assume the lookback is limited to the number of bars on the chart. If I use that indicator in the market analyzer and I have MaximumBarsLookBack set to infinite in the market analyzer then the lookback extends as far back as I have data. So the impact of that setting is much more imporant in the market analyzer than for that same indicator on a chart. Is that true?

Also - if in my indicator I loop through all the bars in my chart, then I presume that in the market anlazyer when i use that indicator I am looping through every bar of historical data that is in my data feed. Is that also correct?

Hello dkrumholz,

This setting should work the same on a chart or market analyzer. You're not likely to notice it having an impact unless your indicator lookbacks are more than 256 bars.

The bars to load setting for the indicator in the market analyzer determines how much data is loaded, not MaximumBarsLookBack.

No, the market analyzer is not connected to a chart. Each indicator or column has its own bars to load setting in the market analyzer.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am still somewhat confused. In the MA what is the difference between "# of bars to look back" and "maximum bars look back"? What does it mean to have # of bars to look back greater than maximum bars look back? Why does maximum bars look back only have two choices?

Comment

# of bars back refers to the number of bars loaded for that indicator column.

MaximumBarsLookBack refers to how far back indicators will go to make calculations. 256 is fine for most indicators, and you would only set as infinite when your indicator calculations require more than this. Example: SMA(300)

Please review the help guide link for MaximumBarsLookBack and let me know if you have any additional questions:

Comment

I am not sure you answered either of these two questions -

1. What does it mean to have # of bars to look back greater than maximum bars look back?

2. Why does maximum bars look back only have two choices?

Comment

1. It doesn't mean anything.
            2. This is the design intent of this property. Save memory with 256 lookback which fits most all indicators, or change to infinite if needed to lookback further.

Comment

Im gettign charts with only bars of new prints,or no bars with a pop up windows thats says something about the servers being out of whack??

Comment

Hi, laredo78676,

Please send a note to support 'at' ninjatrader 'dot' com and include the following details:
                Who are you connected to?
                What version of NinjaTrader you're using? Check with Help > About
                What instrument, expiration, and interval are you viewing?
                What is the exact error message you're getting?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                47 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post aligator  
                Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes