centering price in the chart window, autoscale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

centering price in the chart window, autoscale

With NT 6.5 price was always inside the chart window, with NT7 price often goes outside the window then I have to press the little F button top right to centre price again.

I have "Autoscale" switched on, I thought this would do it automatically, like in NT6.5, but it doesn´t... Can anyone point me in the direction of the right setting ?

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

At this time when the chart has been modified this switches the chart to Fixed scale which may result in the price being plotted off the visible chart.

I have forwarded this to our development team as a suggestion on how we can improve the NinjaTrader platform. Once this suggestion has been input into our tracking system I will forward you the assigned ID number for tracking.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
      Hello,

Thank you for your post.

At this time when the chart has been modified this switches the chart to Fixed scale which may result in the price being plotted off the visible chart.

I have forwarded this to our development team as a suggestion on how we can improve the NinjaTrader platform. Once this suggestion has been input into our tracking system I will forward you the assigned ID number for tracking.
      Finally this request has made it through?!

yeah!!

i know i complained before & have read other posts about it.

Comment

Unfortunately if the X or Y Axis is adjusted even while in Auto Scale this will change the chart to Fixed scale automatically.

This request has been submitted to our development team and has been assigned ID # 687 for tracking.

Thanks again for your suggestion and please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Hi,

are there any work-arounds to make it easier? For instance, can I set the minimum number of points to be displayed on the y-axis?

Comment

You can set a maximum and minimum price by right mouse clicking with the Y-Axis-->Properties-->Range-->Fixed-->input a Maximum and Minimum value-->Click Ok.

Comment

Hi Chris,

that's not going to help, frankly - I guess what you're saying is, "no known work-arounds"?

Comment

Unfortunately no other work around is available at this time.

Comment

Adamus,

I have coded a bare bones "scaling indicator" that will hold the Ninja charts in a desired tick range (y axis up-down). When price narrows, the chart scale will remain as you set it and the candlesticks will paint themselves showing visually appropriate swings. When/If price starts swinging significantly and moves outside of your scaled range, the indicator lets Ninja scaling take over...so price always remains within the bounds of your chart.
                  The indicator automatically adjusts to any market "tick size"....and calculates the scaling range based on your settings... (Lookback period, right hand y axis # of ticks)....
                  It adds the appropriate amount of 'space' top and bottom of the chart when price narrows, maintaining a visual space that reflects the price swing.

I have attached the indicator here.....
                  I will also load it to the Ninja Download area.....(ChartScale)

NOTE: The 'blues lines' on the example are simply to help illustrate the comparison, they do not actually draw on the chart
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by photog53; 05-27-2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Does it only work on tick charts? I'm using 5 min bars and I can't get anything out of it - perhaps the defaults are not right either.

Comment

adamus,

It will work on any chart that paints candlesticks. (the example chart in Ninja Download area is a 1min chart).

Some things to check.....
                      - The default lookback may be too big for a larger time frame chart...
                      (depending on price action). On a 5 min chart, 50 candles may be enough...

- Double check the 'scale' size you selected.
                      - Make sure that "AutoScale" is set to TRUE......(this indicator plots a character top/bot which Ninja sees and keeps visible...which 'scales' the chart).

Technical stuff...(may bore you).... the lookback is variable because different markets have different swing characteristics. You may have to tweak it a bit for your market. If I get spare time and the urge to do some 'elegant code', I may revamp the approach and use system graphics instead of simple "DrawText" and other chart objects....
                      As it stands, this works well enough for me on 6E, CL (crude light) ZN, 6A and other markets I trade....and the occasional tweak hasn't aggravated me enough to prompt more elegant code.
                      Last edited by photog53; 06-02-2011, 09:04 PM.

Comment

I have been looking for this. Thank you very much for your work photog53!.

Comment

You are most welcome.....
                          (the ninja support forum helped me tremendously when I first started trading....so I now post work out here to "pay back" what I got in the early months).

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                          6 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post alifarahani  
                          Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH