Over Fill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over Fill

Hello. This morning I was working with several automated strategies, one in real trading and the other in simulated trading. One of the simulated trading strategy caused this message in NT: "An over fill was detected on order...(order's description)..." and NT finished the strategy and closed positions and orders. Can you tell me more about the meaning of 'over fill'. What is this? and, in this cases what must I do? Is it better reload the tool, isn't it necessary?

Thanks

Hello alibanez,

An overfill is categorized as when an order returns a "Filled" or "PartFilled" state after the order was already marked for cancellation. The cancel request could have been induced by an explicit CancelOrder() call, from more implicit cancellations like those that occur when another order sharing the same OCO ID is filled, or from things like order expirations.

You can minimize the risk of overfill by moving your stop loss and target orders far from market.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello,

I got today overfill message in the following scenario.

I have a entrylimit() order for 1 bar (on bar close). the bar is ending and the strategy sends automatically the cancel request. during the wait for confirmation on the cancel we are getting the fill. strategy working as expected by sending brackets etc, (iExecution) but than getting the overfill message and canceling and disabling the strategy.

why does this scenario defined as overfill? I had no stops in the market only one entry order that got filled. also how can I make sure that in this scenario the strategy will not halt trading.

thank,
      Nir

Comment

Hell nir,

The overfill is caused when
        during the wait for confirmation on the cancel we are getting the fill.
        You can set ignore overfill only in an unmanaged strategy:

For your strategy, it sounds like you have auto-expiration on orders. You may consider using the overload that supports liveUntilCancelled, and then manually issue CancelOrder() rather than auto expire orders.

Comment

Hi Ryan,

could you please explain how using the live until cancelled and CancelOrder() could help me with the overfill problem?

coming back to the scenario, I understand that it happens however I don't see why you would define the above scenario as over fill. I wanted to be in the market, I got my fill, I can continue with the order management, why would that be an overfill.

an overfill is when you have two orders getting fill for the same function (i.e. entry orders, exit orders). in my case, just one set of order is getting fill, so why define it as over fill.

kind regards,

Nir

Comment

I may have misunderstood your scenario. You said that during the wait for confirmation on the cancel we are getting the fill. If any order is in state PendingCancel and you get a fill before it is cancelled = an overfill.

If you can send in trace / logs and indicate the date and time this occurred we can see more information about what happened. Please use Help > Mail to support feature to send these in. In the subject write Attn RyanM 473258.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by rbeckmann05, Yesterday, 06:48 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post bltdavid  
            Started by llanqui, Today, 03:53 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes