Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Extremely low upload speed...is it a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely low upload speed...is it a problem?

I have been trading with about a 1 mbs upload and 1 mbs download speed....extremely slow. I have moved and am now privy to a 8mbs download and a .75 mbs upload speed.....will the upload speed be a huge deal in being consistantly filled poorly? I do not scalp with 100+ trades per day, but I do buy breakouts on the 30 minute crude chart.....Is it worth going at it with these internet speeds or is it a losing proposition all together.

The 1mbs download and 1mbs upload were marginal at best....willl the increase in download speed have a positive impact on order entry and fills or is the upload speed the trouble.....the ping is the same.

thanks for any comments or inputs.

Hello vern13

Thank you for your post.

The downstream data rate is more important when it comes to platform performance. You would have to assess the amount of real-time & historical data you are pulling in to determine your bandwidth requirement. Upstream rates can be significantly below downstream since the messaging you send (orders, update requests, etc.) do not require large data packets to be sent.

For order submission issues, upstream data rates are usually not the source of issues (unless connectivity is in question). Please provide more detail about the fills you are referring to so that we can better understand the market conditions under which you are placing these orders/trades.
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thank you for the reply.

Basically, I have been using a second tier data service and broker and am looking to move over to ninja/amp with the cqg data. I dont anticipate pulling large amounts of data during live trading. My trading is discretionary, not high volume or automated trading.

I have experienced terrible fills on breakouts w/crude using my current system, and I am trying to isolate the main issue, The nice thing about ninja is they have a basic stop-limit order for entry, so if I am not filled at my price or +1 or +2 then the order is null.

To my knowledge the actual process of the execution of an order goes like this:

1) I enter my order on my DOM

2) The order is sent to the broker's server

3)l The order is relayed to the exchange from the broker's order server

4) The order is then placed in the queue on the exchange for filling

5) Price hits the order, and it is filled accordingly.

I guess as long as I send my order in ahead of time on my trade, to get in the queue, then I can nullify a slower upload speed? Is this correct?

Comment

Hello vern13,

Yes – given the scenario you detailed a faster internet connection (than what you already have) would not make as much of a difference than you place in the order queue. Especially when the market is undergoing a “break out”.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
        ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
        2 responses
        1 like
        Last Post BarzTrading  
        Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
        3 responses
        0 likes