NT7 and Windows 7 SP1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7 and Windows 7 SP1

Sorry for the lame question, but my computer builder suggested I check on this---my new computer has Windows 7 and I have not yet installed SP1, but I'm told I should do so soon. Currently, I've got NT7.02 on there, and it works. But when I install SP1 apparently it won't. So, my simplistic question is:
    Should I install SP1 first, or should I download and install the latest NT version first?
    Or, doesn't it make any difference?
    Thanks,
    Tasuki

Hello Tasuki

Thank you for your note.

You will need to install NinjaTrader 7 version 4 prior to install the Windows SP1 upgrade.

Make sure that you complete the steps NinjaTrader 7 Installation Guide. You will be taken to this guide after you hit the green “download NinjaTrader” button and select the NinjaTrader 7 version 4 link.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Chip, thanks for your reply. I bought some custom indicators from a private vendor, and, like so many other people in this situation, they are reporting problems when trying to apply their indicators to the new NT7.04. Personally, I feel that this is a problem that your developers should have worked harder to avoid, but no matter, the damage is done (just please, in future, don't throw your customers into disarray by coming out with new versions of Ninjatrader which are not backward compatible). Anyway, like I said, the damage is done this time. This company that I bought the indicators from has a long, complicated list of stuff to do before re-applying their indictors to NT7.04. I'll copy/paste the list below, but my question to you is--what does this list of steps accomplish? Is it necessary? Why are they recommending it? From what I can gather, their steps are designed to utterly erase all trace of Ninjatrader from my computer before downloading and installing the new version. Is that correct? Is it necessary? Should I follow these steps just as a precaution? Anyway, here are their instructions, in their entirety:
      *** IF YOU HAVE A VERSION OF NINJATRADER OLDER THAN
      VERSION 7.0 1000.3, FOLLOW THESE 10 STEPS TO INSTALL
      THE NEW NINJATRADER INDICATORS ON VERSION 7.0 1000.3.

(IF YOU ARE ALREADY USING VERSION 7.0 1000.3, THEN SEE
      4-STEP INSTRUCTIONS BELOW THESE 10 STEPS)

1. Start your NinjaTrader program on your computer.

2. Make a copy of your License Key (Control Center - Help
      - License Key). Paste into into Notepad and save it on your
      desktop so you can later enter it in the new version of NT you're
      going to download.

3. Within the Control Center window of NT select the menu "File > Utilities >
      Remove NinjaScript Assembly…" and remove all assemblies

4. Close NinjaTrader

5. Uninstall NinjaTrader 7

6. Manually remove the folder "C:\Program Files\NinjaTrader 7" (if it
      still exists). You can probably access this through "My Computer).

7. Manually remove all files ending in ".dll" contained in the folder
      "My Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\"

8. Install the latest version of NinjaTrader by going here:

You're a "current user" so all you have to do is enter your
      License Key.

9. After you download it, run it. Then check in the
      Control Center window - Help - About to make
      sure that you indeed have NinjaTrader version
      7.0 1000.3

10. Download the new NinjaTrader indicators we sent you. Save them
      on your computer somewhere (make note of where you save the
      file). After double-clicking on the icon of the file for the indicators,
      follow the steps it prompts you to do and it will self-install.

If you have any problems, it's most likely that there is a conflict
      with the previous files we sent you because they were not all
      completely removed (or else you're using an earlier version
      of NinjaTrader). Go back and make sure you do everything
      exactly as stated in the 10 steps above.

----

*** IF YOU ALREADY HAVE NINJATRADER VERSION 7.0 1000.3,
      INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER, YOU CAN TRY THE FOLLOWING
      4-STEPS WITHOUT RE-INSTALLING NINJATRADER. HOWEVER IF
      IT DOESN'T WORK, YOU MAY HAVE TO RE-INSTALL NINJATRADER
      COMPLETELY BY FOLLOWING THE 10 STEPS ABOVE

1. Start your NinjaTrader program on your computer.

2. Check in the Control Center window - Help - About to make
      sure that you indeed have NinjaTrader version 7.0 1000.3
      If you don't, then follow the 10 steps above.

3. Within the Control Center window of NT select the menu "File > Utilities >
      Remove NinjaScript Assembly…" and remove all assemblies

3. Manually remove all Top Dog Trading files ending in ".dll" contained
      in the folder "My Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\"

4. Download the new NinjaTrader indicators we sent you. Save them
      on your computer somewhere (make note of where you save the
      file). After double-clicking on the icon of the file for the indicators,
      follow the steps it prompts you to do and it will self-install.

If you have any problems, it's most likely that there is a conflict
      with the previous files we sent you because they were not all
      completely removed (or else you're using an earlier version
      of NinjaTrader). Completely uninstall and re-install NinjaTrader
      as described in the 10 Step process above.

Comment

Hello Tasuki,

The instructions you enumerated will completely uninstall NinjaTrader from your PC. it is a standard recommendation to follow the 3rd party vendors’ instructions first and if issues persist we can provide assistance if necessary.

It is also important to note (to all users or 3rd party indicators) that they check & confirm with vendors if their indicators, strategies, etc. are confirmed to be compatible with the version the customer is planning to use. You are not required to upgrade to the latest version in most cases so it is always important to check.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
        ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It's not clearly stated in the NT documentation regarding the removal of Win7 SP1 whether SP1 can or cannot be reapplied after upgrading to NT 7.0.1000.4 I assume it can, but...

Comment

Hi Pipskateer,

For the record, you can reinstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 after upgrading to 7.0.1000.4.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Windows 7 SP1 does not work with NT?

I had a friend interested in NT. But his computer is Windows 7 SP1. The install instructions say that you must remove SP1 first, before installing NT. But on the MS page from your link for instructions on how to deinstall SP1, it says if SP1 comes preinstalled on your PC, you can not deinstall SP1. Hence you can not install NT, if you buy a new computer with Windows 7 SP1 preinstalled.

A bit silly no?

Comment

Hello Bluepoint,

Thank you for your post.

It is only when upgrading from a pre-7.0.1000.4 release when SP 1 must be uninstalled. If this is the first time NinjaTrader is being installed on this PC, you can leave SP1 as it is.
                KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Windows 7 SP1 does not work with NT?

Ok thank you for your response. You had a potential new customer tell me that they were not interested in NT because of this reason. Your point below was not clear on the download page. You may want to update it accordingly as it may discourage new customers from trying it.

Cheers

Comment

I've just downloaded the latest 64bit version of NT onto my newly loaded Win7 SP1 machine. My question is why does NT auto-load into Program Files (x86) ie 32bit and not the 64bit Program Files? Do I need to uninstall NT then force/manually specify the 64bit Program Files folder? Or can I simply cut and paste NT files from one to the other? Also the download created 2 desktop shortcuts one labeled NT7 the other NT7 (64bit) but both target to the (x86) Program Files? Thanks.

Comment

Hello dave73,

By design, the 64-bit version of NinjaTrader will install to the Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 7\bin64 folder.

Please do note change or modify the structure of these files or folders or try to move it to the alternative 64-bit windows program files directory as NinjaTrader will not run from there.

Everything should function as expected by default and you should not make any changes.
                      MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

I am also having issues

Hi,
                        I was happy with 6.5, but got the message from Ninja that Zen-Fire will not use 6.5 after July 29th so I took the plunge and installed 7. The first thing I noticed was that Zen-Fire is not listed as a data provider. How can I get Zen-Fire listed as a provider so I can get data and link to my trading account? (my trading key at the moment is a @SIM key and I get an error message that states that the key is invalid and I'm in sim mode only. I don't know if that is part of the issue or not)
                        Also when I attempted to import anything I get an error message that states: "You have custom NinjaScript files on you PC that have programing errors. These errors must be resolved before you can import a NinjaScript Archive file." I had no errors in any script until I downloaded 7 so I have no idea what this is referring to. Can someone help me with this.
                        Thanks.

Comment

Hello CaptainAmericaXX,

Thank you for your post.

1)
                          There are three main reasons why this message appears.
                          • Your license is truly invalid however, I have tested this license here and it is a valid license
                          • You have incorrectly entered the license key. Please double check to ensure that you have not accidentally entered an incorrect character or have a space at the end of your license key
                          • The most common reason is that a firewall on your PC or on the network your computer is on is preventing NinjaTrader from accessing our license servers. To test this, please disable all firewalls and then restart NinjaTrader and see if it works. If yes, you just need to add ninjatrader.com to the exception list (safe list) for your firewall software

If none of the above resolutions work, please let us know.

2) Please follow the instructions below to see where the errors are coming from after compiling the indicator. This will allow you to debug the indicator/strategy or remove it from your PC. If you are wondering why you receive an error when compiling only one indicator, it is because NinjaTrader compiles all indicators and strategies- not just one.
                          • Open NinjaTrader
                          • From the Control Center select the Tools menu--> select the Edit NinjaScript menu item--> select Indicator
                          • Select an indicator and double click on it.
                          • A new window will appear and you will need to right click in the window and select Compile to compile the indicators.
                          • At the bottom of the window a new section will appear were you can find the error locations.
                          • From there you have the option to remove the indicator or debug it.

Let me know if this does the trick for you.

Comment

Ok problem one fixed. Problem two I'm having issues with. The compiler says that Jurik DMX etc. and Woodies CCI etc are the issue. Those indicators are listed in the drop down box when I attempt to add an indicator, but are not listed in the Edit box. Also I looked for them in NT7, bin, custom, indicators and they're not there either. Where can I find these?
                            Also while we're on the subject I need to find an indicator I had in 6.5. In the indicator add box it was simply called "Wilder". Since I installed Windows 7 SP1 I can no longer access 6.5. I looked in my Imported indicator file and can't find one listed "Wilder". Do you know of this indicator to direct me to it so I don't have to attempt importing the dozens of indicators in my file? Long shot I know, but I thought I'd ask.

Comment

Hello,

Please take the following steps:
                              • From the Control Center, click Tools > Edit NinjaScript > Indicators.
                              • In the edit indicators menu, double click on any indicator to load it's code.
                              • In the code window, click F5 to compile.
                              • Next, right click in the code window and select References.
                              • In the references window, if a reference to NinjaTrader.Vendor.dll exists, select it and then press delete.
                              • Next, press the add button. This will open a browse window where you will select the file to reference. You will need to add the file mentioned in the error message NinjaTrader.Vendor.dll

After adding the reference, please re-compile the script.

I am not familiar with the Wilder indicator and do not know where you can obtain this. Perhaps another forum member is more familiar here.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by elirion, Today, 01:36 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post elirion
                              by elirion

Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
                              0 responses