lockups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lockups

I'm having an issue. A strategy I'm working on is using 15 second bars. After running a backtest over a time more than a few weeks, it runs once after starting NT up. But each subsequent time, after changing dates, or a value, or even running the exact same settings. It locks up. Also, if you simply try to close the SA window after running that first time, it hangs as well. I've let it sit for 30 minutes or more to see what would happen. Nothing.

The same strat has no problems running on 1min bars. So, I'm assuming it has something to do with the time frame. But then again. It works fine the first time you run it after startup. It is each time after that, that it hangs.

Just thought I'd say something. I know you can't exactly recreate without me sending my strategy in. But maybe someone has had similar experiences.
    Last edited by lookOutBelow; 03-10-2011, 11:01 PM.

lookOutBelow, thanks for reporting in and sharing your findings here - would you mind sending us your trace / logs via Help > Mail to Support so we could review them for insights into why you may see this? Working with second bars involves tick data and therefore is a higer performance burden on your system unfortunately.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

15 second bars could have as much as 100x data that 1 minute bars use to build same day charts or reference for backtesting granularity.

I have had freezeups when doing extensive optimizations. it is frustrating ... also has a high correlation to the power of your system. Even the components on your specific motherboard might be getting over stressed and cause the issue. I once had to move agraphics card to a different slot to resolve a similar problem.

YMMV,
      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Trader.Jon View Post
        15 second bars could have as much as 100x data that 1 minute bars use to build same day charts or reference for backtesting granularity.

I have had freezeups when doing extensive optimizations. it is frustrating ... also has a high correlation to the power of your system. Even the components on your specific motherboard might be getting over stressed and cause the issue. I once had to move agraphics card to a different slot to resolve a similar problem.

YMMV,
        Jon
        Perhaps so. However, it is important to note. That the backtest works just fine the first time I run it (after re-starting NT). It is the following runs that come to a halt. It almost seems like there is a memory leak or something if you try to run it more than once.

Comment

lookOutBelow,

There are some techniques using OnTermination that might help (according to other posts I have seen on the forum but not yet implimented by myself) to release some memeory between backtest runs ... I have seen some similar and do feel that the .NET cleanup is not as good as it would be hoped/useful.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Trader.Jon View Post
            lookOutBelow,

There are some techniques using OnTermination that might help (according to other posts I have seen on the forum but not yet implimented by myself) to release some memeory between backtest runs ... I have seen some similar and do feel that the .NET cleanup is not as good as it would be hoped/useful.

Jon
            Thanks Jon, I'll look into that.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by futtrader, 04-21-2024, 01:50 AM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post futtrader  
            Started by Option Whisperer, Today, 09:55 AM
            1 response