Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi RJBen,

Thank you for your post.

The reason the time axis is used for the bars like Range bars that are not time-dependent is for Equidistant Bar Spacing.

By using the times of ticks to generate a chart it enables NinjaTrader to plot the x-axis relative to the to the bars so that there is a uniform distance between each bar.

If the bars were not tied to the time axis at all they would plot in absolute terms which due to the nature of those bars would sometimes result in overlapping bars based on the speed at which they can be generated.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
      Hi RJBen,

Thank you for your post.

The reason the time axis is used for the bars like Range bars that are not time-dependent is for Equidistant Bar Spacing.

By using the times of ticks to generate a chart it enables NinjaTrader to plot the x-axis relative to the to the bars so that there is a uniform distance between each bar.

If the bars were not tied to the time axis at all they would plot in absolute terms which due to the nature of those bars would sometimes result in overlapping bars based on the speed at which they can be generated.
      Why can't they be tied to each other rather than time thereby creating a fixed separation from themselves rather than on the time axis thereby making the "tie" one that is equidistant and not equidistant through time?

Comment

Hi RJBen,

Unforunately, it's a limitation of charting as it exists currently - but I will be happy to forward your comments on to development for further consideration.
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NT really is the best!

Comment

bar spacing

It will be very nice to be able to change the space between because the chart only hold few bars right now. So It is hard to look back without scrooling.

Comment

Hi ppysun,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the forum.

It is possible to compress the x-axis by left-clicking on the axis and then moving your mouse left or right. More information at:

This does affect the price scale at the same time, though this feature to has been requested as a possible enhancement.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
                To all interested...

I understand the visual requirement to have bars evenly spaced however, I am soliciting your input for how you would resolve the following scenario?

- Multi-series chart with
                - 100 tick chart
                - 1 minute chart (invisible) with 20 SMA (visible)

- You want the 100 tick chart evenly spaced --> This means the at the x-axis cannot have a unform time axis
                - How would you plot the time based minute plots of the 20 SMA when there is no identifiable time slots on the x-axis?
                Would it be possible to overlay a chart on a chart in the same way that some indicators can be overlaid on a chart and appear to float over the chart? Where in a case such as this the time based chart is fixed to time and the other to ticks? Sorry if this is retarded- I just want to find a way to get my Range bars to be equidistant on a multiple time frame chart.

Comment

Hi RJBen,

While it possible to overlay data series by modifying the panel property so that the panel of both data series is the same it is not possible to then modify the equidistant bar spacing.

Whenever multiple data series are plotted within the same chart window the x-axis is going to be absolute and thus shared by all applied data series.

This feature to disassociate tick based bars from the time scaling when using a multiple data series is a requested enhancement that is a possible future enhancement.

Currently, however, it is not possible to have the equidistant bar spacing set to True when using multiple data series on a chart.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                    Hi RJBen,

Unforunately, it's a limitation of charting as it exists currently - but I will be happy to forward your comments on to development for further consideration.
                    Is this upgrade being seriously considered as many of us are hoping or are we pinning this upgrade on a false hope?

Comment

Originally posted by RJBen View Post
                      Is this upgrade being seriously considered as many of us are hoping or are we pinning this upgrade on a false hope?
                      Our current approach is by design since time is the only common denominator that allows the accurate plotting of data points in relation to each other when they share both price and time data types. You will not see a change to this concept in NinjaTrader 7 however, I will review its merit's and decide if this is something that is of extreme value at a later date for a later version of NinjaTrader.

Ray (CEO)
                      RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have a 1-min (master) and a 2-min (additional) dataseries on the same chart. The 2-min is set to transparent. There's also a ValueChart-indicator related to the 1-min-series in a separate panel. As I found out now, the VC-indicator does not update its visuals anymore once the chart is set to "equidistant barcharting = false" (independent if there is one or are two dataseries on the chart).

The "equidistant barcharting"-property is set automatically to "False" as soon as I have a second dataseries. I just don't understand WHY Ninja has to set it to "equidistant = false" as long as the second dataseries is "hidden" (btw - please consider implementing a panel called "hidden" as like as Tradestation does - much easier than "transparent"-handling as it does not even create a panel-border) and as long as I use MINUTE-based timeseries only.

Comment

Ronny,

I will insure that development is aware of the request.

Thank You and Happy Trading.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
                            Our current approach is by design since time is the only common denominator that allows the accurate plotting of data points in relation to each other when they share both price and time data types. You will not see a change to this concept in NinjaTrader 7 however, I will review its merit's and decide if this is something that is of extreme value at a later date for a later version of NinjaTrader.

Ray (CEO)
                            Some things that may be worth consideration is first, linking charts together such that indicators are "copied" between two linked charts and second, still enabling indicators to be plotted on the chart that has the copied indicators. For example, suppose I had 5 minute, 15 minute and 30 minute timeframes all on one chart as they are currently available on NT7. And suppose each of these timeframes had whatever indicators they use associated with each of those timeframes. Then suppose I had a 6Range chart that was linked to it such that only the indicators are copied to it. At whatever time they plot or change on the one they plot and change on the other. Therefore it's not the time that's the common denominator but the indicator.
                            The second part simply means that in addition to copying the indicators from one chart to another but you can still add indicators based on the 6Range chart as well like a 6Range RSI or a 6Range SMA or whatever.
                            That would enable the 6Range chart to continue to be equidistant in their spacing and only have at whatever time the time based chart changes to mirror the change on the 6Range. Just a thought....

Comment

Thanks for the valuable feedback!

Comment

I'm not a programmer but it doesn't seem like it would be particularly difficult to augment.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by ETFVoyageur, Today, 02:08 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post ETFVoyageur  
                                Started by kujista, 04-22-2024, 07:46 AM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post kujista