Drawing objects disappeared!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the suggestion but, no, that was not the cause of the problem.

This is a problem that is going to prove very difficult to track and reproduce. I know it is happening and I know it is not due to human error (i.e. I am not deleting any lines, etc.)

The only thing I am able to do is to do daily backups and constant workspace savings but knowing that this problem can strike at any moment is not a very pleasant solution for the user.

I am surprised nobody else is having or reporting this issue.

Thanks for now,

Stopped

Comment

Hello Stopped,

I see. I tested your scenario some more, but unfortunately so far no luck. What version do you have currently installed? You can check this at Control Center-->Help-->About. Our latest version is 7.0.1000.4. If you have an older version, I suggest to install version 7.0.1000.4 and check if the issue will recur. You can download and install version 7.0.1000.4 from the link below.

Please check if you notice any consistencies if the issue recurs.

If the issue recurs, please send me your last backup file. Please include all steps in relation to the chart (if possible) that you performed in NinjaTrader after you created that backup file. I will restore your backup file and perform the same steps to try and reproduce the issue.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason,

I always keep the software up to date and moved to NT 7.4 on the day of its release.

Thanks but I have given up on following this issue. It is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I know it occurs, and it is very annoying when it happens, but the only thing I can really do at the moment is to keep regular backups to protect myself from this occurrence.

Regards,

Stopped

Comment

I see. If you do notice a consistency with previous occurrences when the issue recurs, could you please let me know. I can further investigate the issue and possibly work towards a fix.

Comment

Jason,

Ok, I think I have FINALLY spotted the root of the problem.

I have attached a workspace backup I created specifically to illustrate this issue, but you should should be able to reproduce it yourself by applying the following steps:
            1. Make sure you already have a Chart Template; if not create one.
            2. Create a workspace with a plain Chart and a Market Analyzer, and link them.
            3. Add three Instruments (I have used ES, AUDJPY and EURUSD).
            4. Draw a trendline in one of them (I applied a downward trendline on the ES)
            5. Switch to another Instrument (THIS IS IMPORTANT), for instance EURUSD.
            6. Now Save the workspace and Exit.
            7. Load up NinjaTrader again.
            8. Do NOT switch Instruments; at launch, you should remain on EURUSD.
            9. Now apply the Chart Template from step 1.
            10. Switch to the Instrument with the drawn trendline (in my case, the ES).
            11. Now the TRENDLINE WILL HAVE DISAPPEARED!
            And here is the funny thing:
            • Follow steps 1 to 7 from above.
            • Now DO switch instruments, clicking on the Instrument with a trendline (ES).
            • Then click on any of the other two instruments (EURUSD or AUDJPY)
            • Now apply the Chart Template from step 1.
            • Switch back to the Instrument with the drawn trendline (ES).
            • Now the TRENDLINE WILL REMAIN THERE!
            Conclusion: A bug causes drawing objects to disappear when you load up a workspace with drawings and apply a new chart template BEFORE actually having loaded up ALL of those charts with drawings during the same session. However, if you take the pain of loading up all those charts and only AFTERWARDS you decide to apply a new template to the chart window, the drawings will remain there.

I hope you have been able to reproduce the problem and send it to development.

Thanks,

Stopped
            Attached Files

Comment

In this part of your sequence, what exactly does the second sentence entail? i.e., the mechanics of what you did.

• Zoomed in and drew new lines, then switched to Daily without zooming out
              • Then reloaded "Daily" chart template to get preferred visualization settings

Comment

Hi koganam,

That referred to a chart template I had created which was called "Daily" but it is no longer relevant/current.

If you were interested in trying to reproduce this problem please follow steps described on the 03-26-2011 10:21 AM post.

Thanks,

Stopped

Comment

NinjaTrader_Jason,

Please take a look at this post when you have a chance:

Thanks,

Stopped

Comment

So I take it literally as I read it.

If you load/reload a template, it will load the chart to the state that it was when the template was last saved: any changes that you have made after the template was last saved will be lost. So if you had not saved those drawings as part of a new template (or overwriting the existing template), then the drawings will be lost when you perform the act of reloading the "Daily" template.

Comment

Hi koganam,

No, loading a chart template actually deletes all previously saved drawings, and in theory this should not happen (thus, we might have spotted a bug).

If you would like to test this on your end, please follow the steps on post 20 of this thread (which includes an attached backup of a simple workspace I created to illustrate the issue) and ignore anything else that was written before.

Thanks for your interest,

Stopped
                      Last edited by Stopped; 03-28-2011, 08:05 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Hello Stopped,

I was able to reproduce the issue on my end when performing your steps on my end.

I did test once without loading the chart template and selecting the ES instrument right away after step #7 and it did list the drawing object. When I selected another instrument and loaded the chart template, subsequently I selected the ES again, the Line was there as well. I can only reproduce the original steps.

Thank you very much for taking the time to find a reproducible scenario and post it on the forum. I have sent an email to development regarding your findings. As soon as there is information regarding the case, I will let you know.

Comment

Hi Jason,

That is great news, thank you.

Yes, you are right: the problem only seems to arise under certain circumstances, such as those described in steps 1-11 of post 20.

Regards,

Stopped

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                            Could it be the '"Daily" chart template causes the Y-axis to shrink which subsequently causes the drawing objects to disappear in the chart? Please click and hold your left mouse button on the right side of the Y-axis and move downwards. Check if you see your drawing objects.

I tested the steps you included on my end, however it did not cause drawing objects to disappear for other instruments. Did you perhaps restarted NinjaTrader in between the steps you mention?
                            Yes, can you please restore your backup file that contains your workspaces and check if it will restore your charts with the drawing tools. It will restore your workspace the way you saved it when creating the backup file.

Comment

Hi obama549,

Thanks for your suggestion but the problem reported here related to a possible bug which has been sent to development for further investigation.

Regards,

Stopped

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Jimmyk, 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post emuns
                              by emuns

Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM