how do ATM orders work? general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do ATM orders work? general

Hi, I need a bit of help with how ATM strategies work. You may have gone through this before, but I could not find adequate answers in the forum.
    Here are some questions:
    a) I am long with an ATM strategy that sets a stop and a target. At the end of the day I want to keep the position overnight. Will the stop and target still work in my broker’s account if I close NT and turn off my PC? Can I exit NT and the rest, sure that my orders will still work during the night? Will it update the next day when I connect to the datafeed again?
    b) I guess orders generated by NT are stored either at the exchange (Native, via the broker) or with the broker (non native), in case of futures. Not sure in case of Forex. So, if I exit NT for the night and I want to keep a position overnight with a target and a stop (not trailing) , my orders should still be valid throgh the night, right? I suspect though that if I want to leave an order, via an ATM strategy, that is not been triggered yet, there would be no stop and target associated, if I close NT for the day, right?
    c) Different topic: I am short 3 at 50 with a stop at 80, but I have an opposite signal to go long 5 at 70. Is there a way to tell the strategies that I want to exit and reverse at 70 and put a new stop and target? If I input a a Buy order at 70 for 8 lots, will it close the 3 short (and associated orders) and send a stop and a target for 5 lots ?
    d) Different example: I am short at 50 , stop at 80 and I know I want to go long with same strategy if the market goes to 90. If I set an order to go long at 90, it is cancelled when the market exits the short position at 70. Any way to go around this?
    e) Is there a way to set a particular ATM strategy as a default on a chart, rather than having to input it every time I log back on?
    f) Are there any major differences in the answers to these questions if we talk about NT 7 instead of NT 6.5?

Thanks for your help and best regards

Hello gretrader,

Most of the time the orders will be held with the broker or exchange. Please see here for details on where the order is held depending on broker or state of order:

The part about OCO functionality native or simulated on your PC is important for ATM strategies. The orders themselves can be held with the broker, but the cancellation logic is simulated with NinjaTrader. If NinjaTrader is not connected while a profit target fills, then the stop loss remains a working order and can open a position in the opposite direction.

Target and stop loss orders with ATMs are not submitted unless NinjaTrader receives confirmation of the entry fill.

There are advanced options to reverse at target or stop. These are set through the Right Click > Advanced Options screen.

There are different options for scaling in depending on the ATM Strategy selection mode detailed here:

There's no way to set as default but you can save the settings you like by Right Clicking > Manage ATMStrategy templates. You can then select that from the drop down menu.

There's no change here on ATM functionality with version 7 compared to 6.5.

We run ATM themed webinars several times per week. A complete schedule is available in my signature. This can be an excellent way to see some examples in action and get live feedback from the presenter.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

In regards to this post, my ATM Strategy does not fully implement when initiated in 7.0 but works fine in 6.5. I have an ATM strategy with a 20pt stop and a 7pt target. Once initiated, the position is established but the two stop orders are never implemented. When I place a sell limit order above the market and it is filled, the error I get is "Buy stop or buy stop limit orders can't be placed below the market". Is there a setting in 7.0 that I missed.

Comment

Ok, after another round of comparing and tweeking, this problem was fixed by changing the Parameter type from Points to Ticks in the properties of the SuperDom

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Ashkam, 04-29-2024, 09:28 AM
        4 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Ashkam
        by Ashkam

Started by nightstalker, Yesterday, 02:05 PM
        1 response
        0 likes