Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trace files

Hi,

Is it possible to turn off logging to the trace file. NinjaTrader consistently crashes when the trace file gets too large and I would like to disable the trace file.

Thanks
    Scott

Hello ScottB,

Thank you for your post.

The messaging written to the Log & Trace diagnostic files cannot be turned off. However, so that I can see what might be taking place in the background that could be leading to the ‘crash’, please send us your log & trace files for one of the effected dates.

You can send them through the NinjaTrader platform by going to Help > Mail to Support…

Please also include a reference to this forum thread.

Thank you,
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Chip, I have done this several times now. The message in the trace file indicates a bad pointer to me (I have over 30 years of commercial programming experience). This is not something that can be easily fixed outside of a scheduled release cycle.

The trace file appears to be a standard .txt file and mine gets to around 30 mb before the crash. Personally, I can't imagine writing that much information to a text file without some sort of compression or other mechanism to allow more efficient I/O.

Of course I have no idea of the design considerations that led to that decision.

Best Regards,
      Scott

Comment

Scott,

There is no way to turn off tracing and under normal usage of NT it would never write that much information. To be able to assist you we will need to see the problematic trace file. If you have already sent it in before, please provide us with the ticket number you received when you sent it in so we can link the ticket to this forum thread on our end. Thank you.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Josh,

I have sent these files but didn't save any of the tickets (Chip was the engineer on one occasion).

The problem is related to the size of the trace file and only occurs when running in replay mode.

If it happens again I will send them back in.

Best Regards,
          Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,

Chip is out the next 2 days. Can you send another note to support using the same email address so I can search for the traces. Please refer to this post as well.
            Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

(Ninjatrader 7) Failed to send mail....

A connection attempt failed.... (both when NT is connected and not connected to data feed)

When trying to send trace and log files

The problem of course is charts will not load on startup if workspace is open,
              Charts will not load when connected to broker
              HOWEVER when disconnected charts will load with data updated till time of disconnect,
              Then upon reconnect charts will not load

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Can you please send an email to support at ninjatrader dot com and provide me with your most current log and trace files. Attach them to the email and refer to this post.

You will find the log file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder.
                • The log file will be named ‘log.YYYYMMDD.txt’
                You will find the trace file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
                • The trace file will be named ‘trace.YYYYMMDD.txt’
                Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Fitspressorest, Today, 01:38 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Fitspressorest  
                Started by Jonker, Today, 01:19 PM
                0 responses