NT for Linux ... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
    Unfortunately Linux/Wine is not supported. It may or may not work. You would need to try on your own.
    Cheers for the feedback. As of today I am a paying customer based on this support forum and the good experiences I have had so far.

Would it be appropriate to start a new thread for those that are trying to get it working?

Comment

Hello Treggs,

That is an excellent idea and I would recommend doing so.
      MichaelNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

When I have a few hours spare I'll run through the process again and make some notes on what I did. Once I have my thoughts gathered I'll start an appropriate thread.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Michael View Post
        Hello Treggs,

That is an excellent idea and I would recommend doing so.

Comment

Challenge for NT

I just want to echo the sentiment that has been raised here for the support of a Linux/Mac version of NT...

As of Friday, I have had a gut full of windows and the instability on my 18 month old PC.
          My system is dual boot with Windows Vista (possibly the worst windows based operating system ever) and Linux.
          Linux is solid, it has not once failed me on this hardware!

I am a demo/micro account trader at this point... I am looking for a stable platform and I am considering Mac or Linux at this stage so that I can take my trading to the next level.

I respect NT so much that if it was available for Mac or Linux, that would even affect my decision on which flavour of Linux or purchase of Mac...

Great product you have developed... but I cannot justify buying your product for a windows platform.

I truly hope NT will broaden it's horizons in the near future...

Regards,

Jc

Comment

Hello,

NT7 will work on a Mac. NT7 is due out this year.
            DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That's great news. Will it also work on linux ?
              NT7 will use dotnet 3.5 so how can you port it to Mac ?
              Thanks

Comment

Unfortunately not on Linux, for the MAC you can use several virtualization packages (Paralles, Bootcamp, VMWare).
                BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

If you have to use virtualization on the mac then truthfully it doesn't work on a mac. It's simply running on windows in a virtual machine.

Any windows binary will run on windows within a virtual machine in any environment.

Here is a screenshot I have taken moments ago showing ninjatrader running on xp within a virtual machine (google Virtualbox) on linux.

The problem with virtualization is the extra load put on a system having to run windows on top of itself. This is what everyone would like to get around by having ninjatrader compiled to natively execute on which ever operating system.

Comment

please port NT to Linux and mac

I have had to install Windoze so I can run NT. This is the first time I have had a Windoze machine in years, and I really wish it could be just a bad memory. Trading deserves a better platform.

It is probably pretty difficult to port NT, since it is based on .NET, and MS love to lock in their customers, but there is an open source implementation of .NET, called Mono, which might make it possible.

Comment

I am just trying NT on Ubuntu 9.10 with wine (1.1.32). Each time there is a major Ubuntu release I give it another try. One day it will work .... and I'll post here if it does.

Comment

Wine = dead. It's choke full of bugs and then more bugs.

Use a virtual machine. NT isn't coming to Linux.

Originally posted by Lee.Daxx View Post
                        Has anyone tried running Ninjatrader using vine? http://www.winehq.org/

Comment

It's cheaper to just buy a PC and dedicated it to NT. Or use a virtual machine.

Originally posted by doctor leo View Post
                          We, Mac people, simply deserve NT to become native on Mac... because we don't have almost any native software with capabilities even close to those of NT... do it, please!

Comment

Hardware is dirt cheap and virtualization is much further than even 3 years ago.

I'm a Linux guy since 96' running slackware and also dabbled with Linux From Scratch, I am also a member of a few LUGs, and I won't drop names, but I can call some generals if need be.

If you are a serious trader, then get a box or two and dedicate them to NT solely. Use XPLite or the like and strip down the OS, pound it with memory and cpu, and focus on your strategy.

If your decision as to whether or not you will buy NT will be based on if it runs on Linux or Mac, then you are clearly not the market that is serious about trading. That's like saying you won't use Google because they run their servers on Linux.

IT IS ABOUT THE APPLICATION!

YOU GET THE HARDWARE FOR YOUR APPLICATION AND YOUR SOLUTION.

Now with that being said, I think a constructive thread on best setups for Linux/Mac with NT (virtulized) would be helpful and realistic.

Quickbooks still hasn't ported, so what does that tell you. They just went web based.

I'm sure trading software will go the way of the cloud as well, although I would be paranoid (even more than now, lol) about using it.

Thanks. This was not intended to offend, rather just my opinion based on real trading experience as well as a technical background in both Linux and windows. I have little experience with mac, but they went Intel, so a VM should work fine and from what I have heard, it does.

With NT7, you will really get a fast setup under VM with all their memory tweaks etc.

Originally posted by littlefish View Post
                            If you have to use virtualization on the mac then truthfully it doesn't work on a mac. It's simply running on windows in a virtual machine.

Any windows binary will run on windows within a virtual machine in any environment.

Here is a screenshot I have taken moments ago showing ninjatrader running on xp within a virtual machine (google Virtualbox) on linux.

The problem with virtualization is the extra load put on a system having to run windows on top of itself. This is what everyone would like to get around by having ninjatrader compiled to natively execute on which ever operating system.

Comment

to JC

I suggest you go MAC, I can confirm NT6.5 runs very well under VMWARE Fusion + XP,
                              I think running under a virtual machine has several other advantages, like restoring your environment after a system breakdown on a different computer in a minute.

I use this setting at work, and with only 500 megs of ram dedicated to the Vm the performance i get is on par with any dedicated Vista machine with 1gig of ram...

Comment

R2k, I agree completely with your thoughts. I have several machines and my main desktop is a dedicated machine for trading running windows. Almost everything else I do I can do using Ubuntu so I guess I just want my cake and eat it too lol. While virtualization is a solution, I prefer to limit the extra layers of complexity. Dual booting my other hardware gives me quick backup options. I regularly save an NT backup and install it on a backup machine so I can switch computers very fast.

Originally posted by r2kTrader View Post
                                Hardware is dirt cheap and virtualization is much further than even 3 years ago.

I'm a Linux guy since 96' running slackware and also dabbled with Linux From Scratch, I am also a member of a few LUGs, and I won't drop names, but I can call some generals if need be.

If you are a serious trader, then get a box or two and dedicate them to NT solely. Use XPLite or the like and strip down the OS, pound it with memory and cpu, and focus on your strategy.

If your decision as to whether or not you will buy NT will be based on if it runs on Linux or Mac, then you are clearly not the market that is serious about trading. That's like saying you won't use Google because they run their servers on Linux.

IT IS ABOUT THE APPLICATION!

YOU GET THE HARDWARE FOR YOUR APPLICATION AND YOUR SOLUTION.

Now with that being said, I think a constructive thread on best setups for Linux/Mac with NT (virtulized) would be helpful and realistic.

Quickbooks still hasn't ported, so what does that tell you. They just went web based.

I'm sure trading software will go the way of the cloud as well, although I would be paranoid (even more than now, lol) about using it.

Thanks. This was not intended to offend, rather just my opinion based on real trading experience as well as a technical background in both Linux and windows. I have little experience with mac, but they went Intel, so a VM should work fine and from what I have heard, it does.

With NT7, you will really get a fast setup under VM with all their memory tweaks etc.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Balage0922, Today, 07:38 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Balage0922  
                                Started by JoMoon2024, Today, 06:56 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post JoMoon2024