Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New vs. edited Master Instrument

What are the general guidelines for the following situations:

1) I want to change the settings for an existing master instrument, e.g. RC (Robusta Coffee), changing exchange from Nybot to Liffe, changing point value and tick size, and adding zen-fire product symbol (XFRC). Presuming that edit + save is the right thing to do?

2) I want to add a new symbol (e.g. WBS to denote the ICE WTI Crude Futures). Should I take (and if need be also edit) an existing master instrument (e.g. WTIC) and save it with a different name (i.e. WBS), or should I create a completely new master instrument? With NT6.5 I managed to corrupt the database by editing and saving existing master instruments with different names...don't want to make this hard way again.

Hello jp_kettunen,

Thank you for your post.

1.) This would result in the changes you make being saved, yes.

2.) Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.
    • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
    • Press the "New" button
    • *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
    • Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivty provider
    • Press the "OK" button

* If you wish to add an equity, this can be accomplished without following the steps above. Just open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.
    The instrument is now added to the master instrument list. Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.
    • Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
    • Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
    • Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
    • Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list

You are now complete and can press the "OK" button.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Kyle,
      So your message is: " Do not change the names of existing master instruments".

Comment

Hi jp_kettunen,

That's correct - the recommended procedure would instead be to create new instruments.
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Javierw.ok  
        Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
        2 responses
        0 likes