Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly pivot not properly displayed

Hi,

I have tried to display weekly pivot points with no real luck so far.

For the pivot of the current week to be displayed properly, I have to have the first day of the week already loaded into NT.
    For ex, for this week starting on Monday Jan 3rd, the weekly pivot that was displayed on Monday Jan 3rd was the pivot valid for the previous week from Dec 27th to Dec 31st (calculated with data from the week before).
    Once the data for Monday 3rd has been loaded into NT on Thuesday 4th, then the proper pivot points valid for this week (from Jan 3rd to Jan 7th) are displayed.

On the top of it and it may be related, it seems that there is a 1 day shift on the indicator value and the price reported on the graph: pivot line does not extend till the latest candelstick, the volume for the latest day is not reported (while included in the historical manager data).
    See the attached image, the last candlestick is for Jan 5th, and the pivot line is not extended and the volume is not reported.

I am using Kinetic EOD, and the pivot condiguration is as follow:
    - PivotRangeType: Weekly
    - PriorDayHLC: DailyBars

I have browsed the forum archive but did not find the solution.

Any ideas ?
    Attached Files

Hello alpha812,

Unfortunately the Pivots indicator will not reflect values as per the latest candle in the chart. Only when a new bar is created, the Pivots will be calculated.

I am not sure if I follow. How can the Pivots for week (1/3 - 1/7) be calculated if it is only 1/4?
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi, thanks for the answer/

Sorry I was not clear.
      I have the following historical data in NT:
      - From 12/27 to 12/31: this gives the pivot valid for the next week from 1/3 to 1/7.
      - From 1/3 to 1/5: 3 days of the current week.

This pivot valid for the current week is only displayed when the bar of 1/3 is stored in NT (i.e: when the first day of the period is stored in NT).

What I was expecting is that when the bar for the last day of week 12/27 to 12/31 is uploaded to NT, then the pivot valid for the following week (calculated on the week that has just finished) is calculated and reported.

Can you indicate what "Calculate on bar close" does for weekly pivot calculation?
      Also, can you indicate why the volume for the latest day is not displayed while the HCL is displayed?

Comment

My apologies, please disregard my previous message. You can reflect Pivots values for the current date when setting 'Calculate on bar close' to False. If set to True, indicators will be updated at the close of a bar. If set to False, it will calculate on each incoming tick.

If you set it to False for the Pivots, it should reflect Pivots for the last candle. Please do the same for the VOL indicator and you should see VOL data for the last candle as well.

Please check if this will solve your initial issue as well.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, it seems to solve the issues. Thanks!

A last question though: this behavior is however a bit confusing for daily bars: if the 'Calculate on bar close' is set to True (default), when the last daily bar is uploaded in NT, as the the daily bar is now "closed", the pivot (volume ...) should be updated at this point (without having to turn the value to False)?

Comment

Unfortunately, NinjaTrader will only know when a bar is closed upon the creation of a new bar. So if 'Calculate on bar close' is set to True, it will not reflect VOL data for the last bar.

Comment

All right, I got it, thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                Unfortunately, NinjaTrader will only know when a bar is closed upon the creation of a new bar.
                Hum, thinking a bit more, if there is a Close price for a bar, then NT should know that this bar is closed, instead of waiting for the creation of a new bar.
                This would avoid tricking the system to modify the 'Calculate on bar close' parameter.

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents, may be the next version.

Comment

Unfortunately the Close price of a bar is only known when a new bar is created as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                    Unfortunately the Close price of a bar is only known when a new bar is created as well.
                    Ok, but this is not really practical for daily data: we got Friday close, and the pivot for this week is not calculated before Monday's bar is uploaded (in order to Friday's close to be "known" by NT).
                    Do you manage to display this week's pivot, today (i.e: using only last week data)?

Comment

Unfortunately there is no workaround.

If I set 'Calculate on bar close' to False, I plot Pivots on the 1/7 daily bar.

Comment

Hi,

All right, it works just fine when Monday's bar has been uploaded to NT with weekly pivots being calculated and reported properly.

Any chance to fix this behavior in a new release?

Comment

I will forward your inquiry to workaround the issue to Development to put it on the list of future considerations of the software. Thank you for your feedback.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                          Started by quantismo, Yesterday, 05:13 PM
                          1 response
                          0 likes