Calculation error in rays drawn on chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculation error in rays drawn on chart

I have reproduced a problem that seems to be either a granularity or calculation error.

1) Open a new chart with at least 1000 bars on it.
    2) Scroll back to the beginning of the chart and draw a ray between two bars that are about 20 bars apart.
    3) Scroll to the other end of the chart.
    4) Click/drag the y-axis so that you bring the end of the ray into view.

As you drag the y-axis, you'll see the end of the ray jump from price to price as it shifts with the chart size. IMO, the ray should be fixed at one price as the chart is resized.

This may be a minor issue and difficult to fix, but sometimes I plot trendlines with a ray that last for 100s of bars and I want to know what the current price is for that trendline as I resize the chart.

Thanks!
    Bryan
    cassb
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Logical Forex

Hello Bryan,

Unfortunately I am not sure if I follow. Am I correct you refer to the X-axis at #4?

Likely it is related to the changing Y-axis range. If you scroll through the chart, the Y-axis range will change (providing you use automatic scaling) to reflect the highest high and lowest low that is visible. This can change the display of the Ray as well.

Please see the attached screenshots. #1 displays the Ray when I scrolled back a certain point. Subsequently I scrolled a little further back and it changed the display of the Ray.

Unfortunately this can be as expected. The line itself is not changed, but it seems that way since different scaling is used. You will see that the Ray will reflect a value of 1261.50 at the 15:00 timestamp in both screenshots.
    Attached Files
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

OK, here are my screen shots. Without scrolling left/right at all, I can change which value the dotted green line touches by changing the Y-axis scale. This should not happen.
      Attached Files
      cassb

Comment

So far I cannot reproduce this behavior by changing the Y-axis scale. Can you please send me a screenshot of the Data Series menu of your chart, so I can test the same setup on my end. Please include steps how you drew the Ray as well.

In addition, do you notice a difference if you perform the same steps in a chart without any indicators applied?

Comment

Here you go. I just opened a new chart, drew the ray, then went to the end of the chart and dragged the y-axis until I could see the ray. You'll see what I mean when you get to that point.

Bryan
          Attached Files
          cassb

Comment

Hello Bryan,

Can you please clarify 'dragging the Y-axis'. The Y-axis in the vertical line that lists price. Could it be you mixed up the axis? When I (de)compress the Y-axis after drawing the Ray, the price point where the Ray touches the Y-axis is not changed.

However if I scroll back or forth, it will change the price point of the Ray touching the Y-axis. But this is as expected, since the line is not horizontal.

Comment

Yes, the Y-axis. Do you want to connect to my computer so I can demonstrate for you?

Bryan
              cassb

Comment

We released NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.2 today. Can you please check if the issue persists using this version. You can download and install it from the link below.

If the issue remains, please send me an email at support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com including your phone number. Please put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header. I can schedule for a call and remote session tomorrow.

Comment

I highly doubt this is an issue that would be fixed by accident in this version. My guess is that it's a problem because over a large number of bars, the projected end of the ray shifts because the two bars it's attached to shift unevenly as you drag the y-axis shorter and wider.

Write to me when you're ready to connect. [email protected].

Thanks!
                  cassb

Comment

Hello Bryan,

I have just sent you an email including a link to download an applet that allows me to remotely login.

Please respond to that email with your phone number and I will give you a call.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by sightcareclickhere, Today, 01:55 PM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes
                    Last Post sightcareclickhere  
                    Started by Mindset, 05-06-2023, 09:03 PM
                    9 responses