Viewing Historical Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewing Historical Data

If I connect to my provider and download historical tick data, what do I need to do to get a chart of that data? Will a new chart automatically load the downloaded data if I am not connected to live data? How does the cache affect this scenario?

Hi dkrumholz,

Thank you for your note.

If you download historical tick data then that data will be available within NinjaTrader by creating a chart with the numbers of days of historical loaded to match the data that was imported.

If you are not connected to a provider a chart that is created would be built using the database data, but if your data provider supports historical data then the amount of historical data you request will be loaded from the data provider servers to the extent it is available.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Happy New Year

I am still a little confused - maybe just by the terminology.

Does downloading the data also "import" the data?

If I create a chart with days that differ from the dates I downloaded does the chart not use the downloaded data? If I download all of December and create a chart with only one week in December doesn't the downloaded data get used? What happens if I create a chart for November and December after having downloaded only December data?

Comment

Hi,

Perhaps this can be of help:

Check under the 'When does NinjaTrader load historical data' section.
        Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I did read that prior to my original post - but here are the items that aren't clear:

1. If Ninja knows when to download data, why would I ever have to download tick data manually from my provider?

2. I am trying to work with tick data - but it seems that there are times when my chart only has high, low and close data. Under what conditions might I be "losing" the tick data?

Thanks!

Comment

Hello dkrumholz,

1. Perhaps you like to download the data without having to create a chart.

2. NinjaTrader acts like a radio receiver and displays the data it receives. It does not 'lose' data.

Please be aware what session template is selected in the chart. It will exclude data as per the times setup for the session template. If you select the 'Default 24/7' session template, it will not exclude time.
            JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
            Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes