Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Suggestions on how to move NT7 and NT6.5 databases to new PCs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions on how to move NT7 and NT6.5 databases to new PCs?

I'm looking to transfer NT7 files and databases across a few PCs and I'm not sure of the best way to go about this. Here's the configuration:

PC1 (32-bit XP) is being retired and it is currently used as my trading PC. It has all of my current instrument data and live strategies.
    PC2 (64-bit Win7) will replace PC1 and become my trading-only PC. It is currently my development/backtesting PC and the data is a bit older and out of sync w/the PC1 data. Also, there are 2 databases on PC2: an NT6.5 and an NT7 database.
    PC3 (64-bit Win 7) is a new PC and will be used as my new development/backtesting PC (since PC2 will be used for trading-only)

The question:
    What is the best way to move the two NT6.5 and NT7 databases AND files from PC2 to PC3? Also, what is the best way to move the PC1 NT7 data and files onto PC2? Do I need to overwrite the existing PC2 database or can I just give it a new name?

Hi bluelou,

Thank you for your post.

If you want to transfer everything to another PC, the best way is to create a backup file and transfer this to restore on the other PC:

Backup:

Restore:

What you can do is create a backup of PC1 and then restore the resulting backup file on PC2, but prior to restoring on PC 2 you will want to create a backup on that machine, and then restore on PC3. The result will be that you migrate data from PC2 to PC3 through the backup and restore and migrate the data from PC1 to PC2 using the same steps, but you will want to create the backups in a single step and restore so as to not overwrite the data when restoring the data prior to creating a backup to restore on another machine.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Makes sense. However, I've had problems restoring backups when moving them to new PCs.

Comment

Hi bluelou,

If that is the case I would test the backups on the local machine and then restore prior to removing from one machine to make sure the backups will work.

Additionally, all user items are stored in the My Documents-->NinjaTrader 7 folder and so you could copy those items, but we recommend that you use the backup and restore options due to the ability to compress all NinjaTrader related items into one backup file.

Comment

Restore between two computers

I have NinjaTrader v7(latest release) running on Computer #1 (trading computer) with all my custom indicators / strategies / templates / workspaces. I created a Backup (File>Utilities>Backup)

I installed the latest version of NinjaTrader v7 on Computer #2 (my backup / testing computer), which already had Version 6.5 installed with history/indicators / stategies. Even though I clicked on the button to NOT migrate data from v6.5, it did so anyway. It appears to have migrated data files, but not Custom Indicators or Custom Strategies.

On computer #2, I then selected File>Utilities>Restore. (to restore the files from computer #1)

I received the following messages:

--------------------------------------------------------------
          "Ninja files can't be restored since they would corrupt your installation."
          "NinjaTrader successfully restored the following components from the backup archive file
          -Chart Data
          -main configuration file
          -database
          -Log&Trace Files
          -Market Replay Data

Warning: NinjaScript files NOT restored:
          -Templates
          -Workspaces"

Even though the warning says Templates were not restored, the appear to have been (and are working fine).

None of my Custom Indicators or Custom Strategies were Restored.

Question: Are Custom Indicators and Custom Strategies included as part of the Backup / Restore Process?

Comment

Hi,

They are not and need to be set up manually again.

See here for the migration guide:
            Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply. I need to clarify the scope of my question. The process I performed was a Backup / Restore (from NT v7 computer #1 to NT v7 on computer #2). Within the Backup / Restore process, are Custom Indicators and Custom Strategies backed-up and restored?

(You'd posted a link to the one-time v6.5 to v7 migration process. This confused me as I'm not certain the Migration process and the file>Utililities>Backup/Restore process are exactly the same.)

Comment

Hi DCtrader,

When backing up from one PC to another using the same version the NinjaScript files should be transferred if the NinjaScript files were included in the backup file.

I would recommend that on your testing computer that you do a full un-install.
                Please follow the steps listed below to completely uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader:
                1. Close all running applications.
                2. Then from the Start menu select --> Control Panel --> Add and Remove Programs.
                3. From Add and Remove Programs select NinjaTrader 7 and click Remove.
                4. Then manually delete the folder "NinjaTrader 7" located under Start --> My Documents.
                5. Delete any NinjaTrader installation files. This can be done by going to Start --> My Computer --> Search button --> search for (NinjaTrader*) --> select Local C Disk and then press search.
                6. Then you will need to clear your internet browser cache and history. You will clear this from within your internet browser (with IE, Tools-->Options, delete cookies and files, clear history).
                7. Reboot your machine.
                8. Once these steps are completed, download NT7 from the link below:
                  Download

Then if you create a new back-up file which includes all items, but before making the backup file can you please go to Help-->About and please make sure that you are using NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.1 on the PC where you are creating the NinjaTrader 7 backup.

Then please on the other PC where you re-installed NinjaTrader 7 completely please restore the backup and then see if the issue persists.

If so can you please send your log and trace diagnostic files for both machines to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com so that we can review those diagnostic files for the cause of the issue.

You will find the log file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder.
                • The log file will be named ‘log.YYYYMMDD.txt’

You will find the trace file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
                • The trace file will be named ‘trace.YYYYMMDD.txt’

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
                6 responses
                1 like
                Last Post jgualdronc  
                Started by Touch-Ups, Today, 10:36 AM
                0 responses