Chart not updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart not updating

My charts are sometimes not updating (candles not changing) but the prices in the Dom are changing during the futures rollover period.

I am using MBT (I have a multibroker with feeds to MB and Zen)

After the 5 minute rollover for MB, the prices in my DOM changes accordingly but the candles on my chart remains unchanged.

The charts on a fellow trader's system with a similar set up are updating correctly.

I have checked several things to no avail.
    • Ensured that our account connections are identical in terms of feed
    • Cleared my workspaces and restarted ninja - fail
    • Created new charts - fail
    • logged in to both feeds, MB first followed by Zen - failed
    • Rebooted my computer - failed.

The charts came back at 1800 (6:00 pm). Prior to this, my charts would immediately start updating once the rollover was completed.

The only difference is I have started to use chart trader but when we put chart trader on my fellow traders charts his charts continue to update.

We are both using the same set of indicators.

Is there something that I have to do to get this to work?

Thanks

Hello cnecorp,

Thank you for your post.

Please send your Log & Trace files for today so that I can see the messaging taking place in the background. Go to Help > Mail to Support & make sure to include a reference to this forum thread.

Thank you,
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response Chip. I have sent the LNT as requested

Chip

I have had to terminate the send via help support and will send the files manually. I am in a live trade and it froze NT for a good 15 minutes so I terminated the apps.

Will send the files to support at ninja atten yourself

Thanks
      Last edited by cnecorp; 12-27-2010, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I have the EXACT same problems with MBT but I don't use Zen Fire. Could there be some critical flaw in their old Navigator? None of the navigator screens work anymore (except the instruments window). No way to confirm whether or not you are in a position etc. when NT crashes. I also get bad data 'pings' just prior to rollover from MBT. MBT says this is not happening. But it does.

Also, wish I could get your Help>email support to work. It hangs 100% of the time I try it forcing me to shut down NT!

Comment

Hello cnecorp & billr,

I have received your files. Please be on the look out for my responses.

Thank you,
          ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes Bill

Trading MB through NT has its share of unexpected "features".

A fellow trader had a trade yesterday for 1000 contracts on the micro with a stop loss of 8 and profit target of 8. It took out 1 contract at profit target and left 999 in a naked open position.

I had one a few days before Christmas where I moved the stop to trail and it left the original stop where it was( turned orange) and created a new stop at the new position. The only way I could cancel the duplicate stop was to do so in the navigator window.

Moral of story, DON'T LEAVE the DOM in a live trade.

Last edited by cnecorp; 12-27-2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks Chip

Comment

cnecorp, I feel your pain. It has happened to me on several occasions. MBT is a great combination of services, but I think the NT/MBT compatibility is on the back burner on both sides of the equation. MBT continues to add more features and software, but have a sort of 'nothing we can do' attitude towards NT traders. NT must assume it has a good relationship with MBT as a compatible broker, but I don't think MBT see's it that way nor cares.

Comment

LOL. Agreed.

I also found the slippage a real pain and its always against you.

I just missed out on an additional 70p profit because it took out my stop at 1.3176 (short) even though the chart and DOM says the price never went above 1.3174.

Such slippage on Zen is rare but is unfortunately quite common placed with MB (not an NT issue though cos it used to happen even before I swapped to the NT DOM).

Comment

Hi cnecorp, I see the same thing when I trade forex (I assume you are trading forex, not futures in this example??). I have never been sure of what the 'last' trade really means other than my assumption that it is the last actual trade, but when I get stopped out at a high point in a swing, sometimes my stop price isn't reflected in the 'last' data. Seems like a phantom, or trade desk transaction that doesn't get booked into the data stream. Suspicious, but I would guess that to provide a reliable safety stop for their clients, the stop transactions have to anticipate a possible move within a couple of pips. But if it turns out to be the absolute end of a small pullback, it sure is hard to watch!

Even though I try to calculate my stops liberally to stay clear of these magical stop outs at the swing high trade, it doesn't always work. I just got stopped this morning at a price that is exactly 1 pip above the traded high between the low of the day so far and close (EUR/USD at 1.3135 11:38 AM). My stop is set according to my strategy, but I have to say that my stop was in an obvious location and should have been set further out to avoid the easy stop out. But curiously, that 1.3135 is not on the chart. And it was a trade, so why not in the data???

Sorry to hear MBT may be having slippage issues. I migrated here because of the outrageous slippage you can get from Tradestation/Gain. So far, MBT has been ok for me, but I have been concentrating on futures lately and only trade periodically with MBT until I can get my NT working more reliably.

Good luck.
                    Last edited by billr; 12-28-2010, 03:03 PM.

Comment

HI Bill

Good to know that I am not the only one with MB issues

I am on both Forex and currency futures., I use Forex to prove my trades, in this case the EURUSD, and then take those trade to the futures, 6e.

I too use a fairly liberal stop and manage it closely to avoid the big boys (when they come back to precisely take your stop out and then run).

Silly me was just not expecting a big boy to enter the market in the middle of such a large run last night, guess 70p is a fair price for that lesson.

Moved from indices to currencies because there are consistently more large runs.

The currencies give me consistent profits for what I do whilst the same strategies gave me very patchy results in indices over a 2 year period.

Certainly agree that I would not be using MB for the main trades for a variety of reasons including the stability of the platforms.

I suspect we will never avoid slippages in Forex as, unlike futures, it is an unregulated market.

Last edited by cnecorp; 12-28-2010, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Any further news on the issue Chip?

Comment

Yeah, I just posted a nearly incoherent rant on a new thread expressing my frustrations trying to get NT to work consistently as a platform. (I have enough of a challenge trading consistently with a perfect platform, LOL ! ) I fear that the priority of the NT development department is not necessarily with the fundamental stability of the platform from a trader perspective. Granted, they have a wide array of issues to contend with, but if it's all filtered and normalized through the forum, a platform that wont run consistently may sound no more urgent than a Ninja Script question. Hopefully that is not the case.

I currently day trade via DOM at Infinity Futures, (they discourage use of NT by the way) but would sure like the functionality of the ATM or automated strategies that NT promises. And I should say that NT7 in beta worked pretty well for me. I was ready to get the multi-broker license once I was back up and running again, but I am more skeptical now.

I'm with you on trading currencies. The moves tend to fit my trading style better than indicies (although I do trade ES too). As far as forex/futures. With all its shortcomings and risks, there is something about forex that is appealing to me. I think it is the liquidity. Trades are so easy! But the reality is that futures is a much smarter way to trade in so many ways. A glutton for punishment, I will probably continue with forex along side of futures for a while.

I hope I can gain some confidence in NT over the next week or two and implement the chart trading for futures at AMP or some other broker. It may not be quite a accurate as the DOM, but the ATM would sure make trading nicer.

Anyway, good luck and maybe we can compare war stories again

Comment

Thanks Bill. Definitely re swapping stories, Would like to hear more about Infinity when you have the time like what sort of futures and why.

Always looking for improvement as usual.
                            Last edited by cnecorp; 12-29-2010, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by proptrade13, Today, 11:06 AM
                            0 responses
                            1 view
                            0 likes
                            Last Post proptrade13  
                            Started by kulwinder73, Today, 10:31 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes