Commission on multi-instrument automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commission on multi-instrument automation

I have a strategy that runs statistics on a future (QM 3-11) and then buys an ETF stock (UCO). So the 3 instruments on the chart are QM/UCO/SCO, 15min bars. The strategy is profitable, but the commission is (falsely) so high that it makes it unprofitable. It is computing $2 / share rather than per trade, so 240 shares costs $465 in one single trade! The total commission is $1396 for the 3 trades.

I looked at the underlying instruments and commissions are $0 futures, $0 stock in the instrument manager. In Tools->Options->Commissions I have $0 for IB commissions and $4 for Vision Financial futures. The QM is Vision Financial, so it must be treating my 240 shares as 240 contracts and charging $4 per round trip or something like that. But how can I get it to compute commission based on the ETF stock actually being traded? Shouldn't it be $0 because my IB commissions are currently $0? (I actually want to get my IB commissions setup right as well, but one thing at a time).

Hi TradeTree,

Thanks for the report. We'll look into this here.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I was not able to reproduce this here. Tried with real time trades and similar setup. Commission was not used for the stock trades. The commission calculations for a backtest are based on the settings defined under the Simulator connection.
      Are you looking at performance in real time or backtest?
      Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 12-22-2010, 10:25 AM.

Comment

This is from Strategy Performance. The strategy is being run on a chart. It doesn't appear to matter what account, Sim101 or a real account. Here is the Trades tab:

1 UCO Sim101 TradeCOM2 Long 231 10.85 11.44 11/3/2010 11/13/2010 UCO Exit long -0.13 -0.13 462 0.01 0.11 0.24 9
        2 UCO Sim101 TradeCOM2 Long 241 10.15 10.5 11/20/2010 11/27/2010 UCO Exit long -0.16 -0.27 482 0.03 0.05 0.21 5
        3 UCO Sim101 TradeCOM2 Long 226 11.02 12.26 12/2/2010 12/8/2010 UCO Exit long -0.07 -0.32 452 0.01 0.11 0.18 5
        Last edited by tradetree; 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Please send us your database file and I will try this here. This can be attached with Help > Mail to support feature. Also, let us know your connection order - Vision first or second?

Comment

I sent it in, but I did get some kind of log error about "Failed to compact database." So let me know if it worked or not. I connect Vision Financial as primary and Interactive Brokers as secondary. Vision does not have stock data, so all stock data comes from IB.

Comment

Ryan,
              Any word on progress with this? It is very reproducible so if you need anything else it will be easy to provide it. I do realize it is the holidays, so just let me know what the schedule looks like.

Comment

Hi TradeTreee,

I apologize - it seems you didn't get my email. I actually need your config.xml file in addition to the database. This is stored in My Documents\NinjaTrader\Config.xml

I will look at this next week after the break. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Comment

Thanks for the config file. I did not run into any issues testing this.

Historical Performance - uses correctly the commission settings defined under the simulator connection.

Real Time Performance - uses correctly the commission settings defined for the connections you're using.

You defined commission levels for Simulator - Stocks, and Vision Stocks and it was using these in performance calculations.

Comment

That's because you don't have a multi-instrument strategy that trades on the secondary instrument. If you don't reproduce the conditions you won't get the same results.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanM View Post
                    Thanks for the config file. I did not run into any issues testing this.

Historical Performance - uses correctly the commission settings defined under the simulator connection.

Real Time Performance - uses correctly the commission settings defined for the connections you're using.

You defined commission levels for Simulator - Stocks, and Vision Stocks and it was using these in performance calculations.

Comment

I did use a multiInstrument strategy. If you are still seeing issues with this, please send a simple strategy I can use to see the issue and provide the steps to see it. If there are any changes to the commission setup, please send an updated config.xml file as well.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by lightsun47, Today, 03:51 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post lightsun47  
                      Started by 00nevest, Today, 02:27 PM
                      1 response
                      0 likes