Using hyphens "-" in master instrument names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using hyphens "-" in master instrument names

I am using data which is supplied in text files with file names containing hyphens. As I understand it the instrument name in NT7 should be the same as the file name before the .txt extension, which in this case is G6A-067.
    The problem when creating a new instrument is that I cannot use a hyphen in the instrument name - is there a way I can do this without renaming the file please?
    Thanks.

Hello pauluk

Thank you for your post.

You will need to make sure that these instruments exist in the NinjaTrader Instrument Manager. Please review the formatting criteria & instructions from our Help Guide:
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the reply Chip.
      When I try to create the instrument is where I am having the problem.
      The name of the data file (from Genesis) is G6A-067 which means I need to set up an instrument called G6A-067 which I cannot do because it contains a hyphen "-".
      Thanks.

Comment

Hello pauluk

Please clarify what is prohibiting you from renaming the file? It is correct to say that this would resolve the issue you are experiencing?
        ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I can rename a text file but it's a pain to do this for a number of files (although there are utilities to do this).
          I now realise NT can import MetaStock I could use the MetaStock export from Genesis to NT - there is no way I can see of renaming a MetaStock file entry.
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pauluk View Post
            I am using data which is supplied in text files with file names containing hyphens. As I understand it the instrument name in NT7 should be the same as the file name before the .txt extension, which in this case is G6A-067.
            The problem when creating a new instrument is that I cannot use a hyphen in the instrument name - is there a way I can do this without renaming the file please?
            Thanks.
            Request a positive nod to this issue.

Many exchanges, many instruments and with all possibilities of NT unsupported characters. We also have '&' and many other characters which are a part of exchange symbols, but unsupported by NT.

If NT has a built-in facility to automatically assign an alias by replacing all such NT unacceptable characters with '_' and allow automatic import / data feed without any manual action by the user. Manual correction by user though painful, may be possible for end of day data, but impossible for auto data feeds.

If with such an alias, a clash of names with existing instruments occur, NT may alert the user to enable him to manually assign an alias.

Thanks & regards.
            murthymsr

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
            47 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post aligator  
            Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
            0 responses