NT7: 64bit crash on start, ninjatrader.sdf not found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7: 64bit crash on start, ninjatrader.sdf not found

Installing NT7 7.0.1000.1 from scratch on vista 64bit, launching 64bit version gives me this error that causes software shut down (32 bit works):

The file path seems to have a double backslash... is it ok?
    Last edited by skynetman; 12-09-2010, 02:26 PM.

Hi skynetman,

Thank you for your post.

I have an idea of the issue, but I would like to confirm prior to having you take the steps that I believe will resolve this issue so can you please send an email to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and please include your log and trace files so that I can review those diagnostic files for the precise cause.

Trace files will be located by going to My Documents->NinjaTrader 7->Trace-> trace.2010xxxx.txt
    Log files will be located by going to My Documents->NinjaTrader 7->Log->log.2010xxxx.txt

In your email to support if you can reference this forum thread and put ATTN RyanO in the subject I will follow up once I have reviewed those diagnostic files for the precise issue.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

OK I have an update to this. Today my Ninja was unable to start. I reinstalled it and deleted everything in Documents/NinjaTrader7 - still the same bug message.

Then I simply tried to start x64 version of ninja and it is working. Until now I used x86 version and everything I found about this problem on the internet was not working! But x64 version is working for me.

I am just confused...should I expect every day that my x64 version will stop working just like the x86 did??

I found out there are many people who have the same problem on Win7 x64 so it's probably time to do something with it!! Because there is obviously some bug inside NT7 that causes these problems almost randomly...

Comment

Hi Trigon,

Regarding that issue with the 64 bit version I wanted to review the trace files, but since the issue persists the likely cause is the SQL CE program missing, and so the message you receive regarding the NinjaTrader database can not be accessed is due to the missing program to read the database within the 64 bit installation.

To install this program please visit the following link.

With that and your 64 bit PC you will want to run both copies of the install, starting with the 32 bit version, then the 64 bit version.

Comment

Ryan - you are genius! It really works! No problem to start Ninja now - x64 or x86! Both of them works! May I ask you - which one is better to use for me? My PC:

Intel Core i7 860, 2.8GHz
          8GB RAM (2000MHz)

and of course Windows 7 Ultimate x64... I am just not sure if there is any difference if I use x64 instead of x86 version of NT.

Comment

Hi trigon,

The 64 bit version of NinjaTrader has been optimized for 64 bit machines and you can run that version so long as your data provider supports a 64 bit connection. Please refer to the following post regarding which providers support 64 bits.
            Contains critical information including but not limited to migration, installation, connections and changes.

If you provider is not listed you will want to use the 32 bit version.

Comment

Thank you very much. :-)

Comment

I am getting the same error on starting the 64 bit version - and I've had a couple of agents from my broker poke around, finally reinstalled the whole thing. 32 bit version starts fine.

Looking at my trace file, it does suggest the issue is related to the SQL CE connection... the link provided a couple posts back refers to version 3.5... now that was several years ago!! on my system, I already have :

Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 SP1 x64 ENU (as reported in Programs & Features)

Do I need to install the 3.5 version of CE?

PS Am running latest version of NT on Win7/HP 64. I think my SQL CE got installed with Visial Studio a while back...

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

3.5 is still the required version and will need to be installed if you are receiving "Exception has been thrown by target of invocation" error message.

Please follow the below steps to ensure the correct version of SQL Compact Edition is installed on your PC. If you are not entirely comfortable performing the steps below, please let me know and we can setup a time for a remote support session.
                  • Navigate to the Windows Control Panel
                  • Add and remove software/programs
                  • Uninstall any SQL Compact Editions you see, if none are present you may ignore this step and continue onto the next step
                  • Install latest SQL Compact Edition 3.5. SP2 which is available here: Download Here
                  • Once you run the downloaded file it will ask you for a directory to extract the installer to. Point this to a temporary directory that you will be able to quickly locate later, such as the desktop
                  • Navigate to the aforementioned directory in which the files have been extracted to
                  • Run the file names SSCERuntime-ENU.exe in which you will want to extract to this directory once more (there will be two files)
                  • SSCERuntime_x86-ENU.msi - Run this one first
                  • SSCERuntime_x64-ENU.msi - No need to run this if you are on a 32 bit system, if you are on a 64 bit system you will also need to run this file, if you are not sure if you have a 64 bit system go ahead and run this file. If you are not using a 64 Bit operating system, the installer will cancel itself automatically
                  • Follow the installation steps outlined in the installation wizard
                  • Once installed you will need to restart your PC
                  • You will now be able to launch NinjaTrader 7

Please let me know if the error persists after installing the correct SQL CE.
                  Zach S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Zach - worked a treat.

What are the implications of using the 64 bit version? I understand the usual memory limitations etc... but does it also mean, for example, that my data provider will be sending a 64 bit data stream compared to a 32 bit version? ie - should I expect my data traffic to increase?

This is relevant when I am off-site in remote areas, and have a limited bandwidth connection...

Thanks

Comment

tgn55,

64 bit and 32 bit version will have nothing to do with the data stream. The implications between the two are what the API support. Certain data providers API do not support 64 bit.

The data stream will be dependent upon the internet connection that you have.
                      Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by AaronKoRn, Today, 09:49 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post AaronKoRn  
                      Started by carnitron, Today, 08:42 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes