• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finacial advisor w/ IB

1. I have strategy "A" that runs automated with NT 6.5
    2. I have a financial advisor account with interactive brokers
    3. I have 3 people requesting that I trade strategy "A" for them as well
    4. All 3 have accounts @ IB ($100, $200, $300) respectively and my account is $400
    5. Combined = $1,000
    6. Strategy "A" says buy 10 shares market with protective stop
    7. Ideally I need to allocate (1, 2, 3) shares for 3 customers and 4 shares for me.

Questions:
    1. I believe you do not support IB's allocation alogrithm?

2. Do I need to copy Strategy "A" 4 times each with it's own share allocation? and in
    turn run all 4 in 1 chart?
    3. Should I instead use 4 instances of NT on seperate machines?

Hello rightcoast,

1) Correct, we don't support IBs allocation algorithm.

You may be able to create 4 strategy instances within one NinjaTrader installation - Each one with different order quantity here and assigned to the appropriate account. You can run from a chart or the strategy tab of the control center.

The main consideration here is if all 4 accounts are available under one login used to connect with TraderWorkStation. Only one connection to IB can be made at a time so if this is not possible you would have to move to 4 separate machines.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

All 4 accounts will be accessible under 1 login for TWS. So the workaround seems to apply Strategy as "A1, A2, A3, A4" each with it's own trade quantity logic. and
      it's possible to trade all 4 on 1 chart. If this is correct, how can I determine the maximum # of strategies as well as the maximum amount of customers and lastly the
      maximum amount charts I can run before I need to move to another machine? Kinda hypothetical 3gb ram 3ghz CPU. Thanks

Comment

Yes, all strategies can be run from the same chart. Unfortunately we aren't able to offer these performance guidelines. There are too many factors beyond your computers specs. You should evaluate on your machine on simulated accounts with market replay. Can see here for performance tips you can take to reduce Ninja's resource requirements:
        http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 08-17-2010, 04:31 PM.
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I also have an Advisor account at IB, with several clients attached.

So simply put if NT sends an order for 10 contracts to an IB advisor account ... TWS at the IB end will not be able to allocate those trades across the accounts?

If this is the case you guys really should get this sorted out and support the IB Allocation Algorithm - A multibroker licence is frankly useless without that ability to allocate trades.

Comment

Hello everington,

Thank you for your post and for your feedback.

You are correct. The order allocation portion of this account is a feature of TWS itself.
            Unfortunately, this feature is not avaialble to NinjaTrader as it stands currently, but a change here is on development's list of future considerations for the software.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NT is a good system, but getting that issue sorted would attract a whole bunch of new clients for you. There are an awful lot of CTAs out there who would then see NT as a truly professional tool. Please get that allocation issue dealt with.

Regards

Expanding CTA.
              Last edited by elliot5; 11-03-2010, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I have the same problem, and without the ability to trade multiple IB accounts I'll stick with my current solution. Pity.

Comment

I found this thread searching for information on trading Interactive Broker accounts. I have a variation on this question. I have multiple of my own accounts at IB. Can I trade them using NT, or are you saying that I can't trade multiple accounts, even my own? That would definitely defeat the purpose of NT, which is to be a one-stop platform. Also, I have accounts other places than IB. I currently have Vision Financial. So I assume I can trade both Vision and IB accounts?

Comment

Hello tradetree,

Thank you for your post.

To be clear, it is possible to trade multiple IB (or IB and Vision) accounts through NinjaTrader. What is unavailable is the component within TWS which handles automated order allocation to the different accounts.
                    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

With all due respect, you guys have literally been saying for YEARS that this (IB allocation) will be "added to your list"!!!!!

In all seriousness, under what circumstances would Ninja actually consider implementing this?

Is there anything that customers can do to influence making this happen? Clearly there is and has been a strong desire from our side.

Comment

Would this solution work?

Run multiple instances of TWS each connected to a different IB account and then create different account connections in NT for each TWS instance, but communicating on a different port to each TWS instance?

So we run one instance of NT with mutiple charts each connected to its own instance of TWS but via a different port number.

Comment

Originally posted by tradermike View Post
                          With all due respect, you guys have literally been saying for YEARS that this (IB allocation) will be "added to your list"!!!!!

In all seriousness, under what circumstances would Ninja actually consider implementing this?

Is there anything that customers can do to influence making this happen? Clearly there is and has been a strong desire from our side.
                          Our priority is getting NT7 out of the door. This is what 99.9% of our users expect from us. Thus, we pushed off any feature requests. At a later stage we will evaluate all pending feature requests (including this one) and prioritize them. Unfortunately there is no ETA.

Thanks for your understanding

Comment

Originally posted by Operandi View Post
                            Would this solution work?

Run multiple instances of TWS each connected to a different IB account and then create different account connections in NT for each TWS instance, but communicating on a different port to each TWS instance?

So we run one instance of NT with mutiple charts each connected to its own instance of TWS but via a different port number.

Hi, this is a scenario we have not tested and therefore don't know if this will work.
                            Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Is it possible for NinjaTrader to test this suggestion please?

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DanielSanMartin  
                              Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes