Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

PnL for Forex Trading (Mini vs. Standard Lot)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PnL for Forex Trading (Mini vs. Standard Lot)

Greetings,

I have been running some strategies in the Sim101 account on a currency pair. The PnL amount in the "Positions" and "Strategy" tabs are being calculated for w 100K standard lot rate even though I have changed the point value in the instrument manager for each currency pair to 10K. So for a single pip, NT shows a loss of $10 instead of $1 (EUR/USD pair for example).

Is there a way to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Sami

There is no need (from what I can remember) to change the setting of the point value for mini lots, NT handles this internally. Please set them back to their original settings.

Ray
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ray,

How does NT knows that it's a mini lot if I am trading in Sim101 account?

If I change the point value back to 100K then it shows both realized and unrealized PnL as standard lot. With 10K, the realized PnL is based on Mini lot but the unrealized PnL is being caluculated for a standard (100K) lot.

Sami

Comment

Sorry, the Sim101 account does work differently. It only goes by standard lot size and there is a known issue with its calculations which we resolved last week for our 6.5 release.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello NT,

Has anybody or NT fixed the lot issue for Forex?

0.0M does not work and give errors at times.

If not I hope it gets fixed in NT 7.0, I would like to see a way to change lot sizes as easily adding and subtracting contracts on the Order Qty.

I have been searching the web for NT Forex lot sizes and I have not found anything yet and I sent an e-mail to AMP Forex switch they support NT for Forex plateform explaining this issuse but they have not replied to me yet.

Thanks,

Chon Wayne

Comment

Chon Wayne, not sure what you're exactly referring to - if you refer to Ray's post this was fixed quite some time ago -

Fixed 1858: Negative FX subpip display for point based PnL was not displayed correctly

BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Bertrand,

No I just trying to make the trading dome represent Mini sizes pip's or tick's of $1.

Right now it shows $10 pip's or tick's of $10 on the PnL.

In the Forex I see that we can trade all kinds of lot sizes all the way to Micro sizes of .10 cents Pip's if the broker allows it.

But I'm only interested in trading Mini size Lots of $10,000 which should make the PnL show gains or losses of $1 instead of $10 pip's on the trading dome.

I posted a picture on how my dome show the only $10 pips in the PnL.

It should only show a $2's in the Red in a mini lot size trade but it shows $20's for a standard lot size.

Thanks,

Chon Wayne
              Attached Files
              Last edited by chonwayne; 07-15-2009, 02:17 PM. Reason: Add clarification

Comment

chonwayne, unfortunately this is not possible on the simulator, it would support regular lot sizes of 100K.

Comment

Hello Bertrand,

So if I go live with one of the FX brokers that support NT would I be able to change the lot sizes in NT? Or only the broker can at his end?

Thanks,

Chon Wayne

Comment

Hello Chon Wayne,

If your account at the broker supports multiple forex lot sizes, you will be able to submit different lot sizes in NinjaTrader as well.
                    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Jason,

Cool Thanks for the info.

Bummer For simming I guess I will just add a zero to my capitol and and remove a zero to reflect a mini size gains or losses when I generate a account report.

Amp Forex just told me yesterday that it can't be done in simming and that when I open a live account with them NT FX will reflect mini size orders and that NT did not want to fix that issue right now when he brought it up to NT attention.

Thanks,
                      Chon Wayne

Comment

hi

Originally posted by SamIam View Post
                        Greetings,

I have been running some strategies in the Sim101 account on a currency pair. The PnL amount in the "Positions" and "Strategy" tabs are being calculated for w 100K standard lot rate even though I have changed the point value in the instrument manager for each currency pair to 10K. So for a single pip, NT shows a loss of $10 instead of $1 (EUR/USD pair for example).

Is there a way to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Sami
                        hi,
                        i am facing the same issue any help in this regard is highly appreciable.
                        thanks

Comment

On simulator for discreationary trading this is expected, as only regular sized lots are supported (standard 100k ones).

If you're backtesting in the Strategy Analyzer, you can enter the explicit quantity you want to trade your strategy with i.e. 30000 for 3 minilots and 100000 for a regular sized spot lot -

Comment

OK. So for simulated trading, a quantity of 1 in chart trader = 1 standard lot. What does 0.01M and 0.1M equate to in simulated trading?

Also, I plan on trading live with MBTrading Forex in the near term. Their default Forex lot size is $10,000, or 1 mini lot. How would I specify in Chart Trader a quantity of 1 mini lot? I searched the NT forum and NT documentation and couldn't find any info to clarify this on my own.

Thanks for you help.

Andy

Comment

Which broker / connection are you using?

Enter 1000 for a micro lot and 10000 for minilot with MBT - you would enter it in units.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by rbeckmann05, Yesterday, 06:48 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post bltdavid  
                              Started by llanqui, Today, 03:53 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes