Latest Pivot Indicator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Pivot Indicator question

I suspect I'm doing something wrong but I need help. I'm using the official NT Pivot indicator and I cannot get the correct daily pivot #'s for Friday. I'm looking at IWM data.

The price parameters for Thursday are H=78.5, L=77.3, C=78.13 which should result in a PP value of 77.98 (which I believe is correct as it's the same value as the ESignal pivot value). But, the pivot # on the chart is 77.17

I know uacvax has done some work on adding additional support/resistance levels and allowing for manual input of HLC values (which BTW does give me the correct PP value) but I'd really like the official NT pivot indicator to provide the correct values as I switch between different financial instruments and don't want to have to figure out the HLC values from the previous day and input them every time I switch charts.

Am I doing something wrong with the official version (I've tried 9:30 to 4:00 and 9:30 to 4:15 time parameters) or is a fix needed ?

Hi Greg1. I believe the problem isn't that the indicator is calculating the values wrong. It is just data differences. For me, on OpenTick, I get different values on my intraday data and my EOD data. In intraday my chart says the close for AAPL is $136.45, but my EOD data says the close for the same day is $136.16.

But just in case I will run some more tests in a bit to check the calculations. I'll report back with my findings afterwards.

Edit: I ran several tests on all three versions of the pivots indicator and they all calculate correctly so I will stand by my original hunch of data differences being the culprit. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_JoshP; 08-04-2007, 08:56 PM.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Keep in mind, the session OHLC is determined by your session start/end times and this is the data points the Pivots indicator uses.
      RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, that is what is confusing to me. I have my session time from 9:30 until 4 and the HLC values posted are from the daily IWM chart. But, the pivot #'s don't show the correct values. Somehow the HLC values being used by the pivot indicator are not the values from the daily chart. If they were a few cents off no big deal but they are more than 20 cents off.

What is even weirder is that some days the pivot #'s are correct and then other days they are incorrect. The Esignal pivot #'s are correct every day.

Comment

If you throw Pivots on a intraday chart (say 5 minute series), then prior days values are taken from that series and pivots are calculated off these values. NT does not take the prior days values from an additional daily (non-intraday) series.

-> Please check out the prior days values on your original (here 5 minute series). Pivots should be calculated correctly off these values.

Comment

If I'm understanding correctly, I think I'll give up on the Ninja Trader pivots. Daily pivot calculations should have nothing to do with intra day values. Should be determined on prior day HLC values. I'll just stick with the ESignal pivot values that are correct.

Comment

If your session settings are set correctly, than your intradays HLC values for the prior day should be correct and pivots will be calculated as expected. If the daily/session bar of the prior day has different HLC values than your intraday series for that day (with session settings applied correctly) then pivots exhibit the behavior you observed.

Comment

Greg,

For clarification. NT is not a Market Data Vendor. We do not have direct access through all providers to actual floor settlement prices to calculate the pivot values. Because of this, we have to use the OHLC prices determined by the session range time of your intraday chart.

This is a limitation.
                RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                  If your session settings are set correctly, than your intradays HLC values for the prior day should be correct and pivots will be calculated as expected. If the daily/session bar of the prior day has different HLC values than your intraday series for that day (with session settings applied correctly) then pivots exhibit the behavior you observed.
                  Hi,

This is going to cause problems for people like me who trade Liffe/Eurex, because both life and Eurex send EOD data to data vendors like esignal the final settlement price, which is totally different to the final intraday HLC.

Comment

Pivot

I also has the problem getting corect pivot value.

I am trading FX using IB as broker, I would like to get pivot using 2 pm pacific time. So I set both start and end session time to 2 pm, but still ggot the wrong pivot values.

What have i done wrong? Please advise.

Comment

Are you using the option to calculate those from daily data?

For seeing custom session times reflected please ensure you use the option to 'CalcFromIntradayData' as explained here - http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=4676
                      BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

still wrong Pivot

I did selected "CalcFromIntradayData" and reset my start/end session, but still got wrong pivot. What bothers me is that the same Pivot value stay even thought I change start/end time for the session to different time. That does not make sense at all.

I trade eurusd from data feeded by InteractiveBrocker.

Someone helps me, please.

Comment

Are you using tick or time charts? For IB on tick charts you could be missing the needed historical data to calculate them correctly.

If you can, please post a screenshot with your exact settings and behavior you see.
                          BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It seems IB's data are not reliable. I changed Gain's data, the calculated PV is better.

Thank you for the advices.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by yertle, Yesterday, 08:38 AM
                            7 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post yertle
                            by yertle

Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
                            2 responses