Changing instruments with tick data - this NEVER works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing instruments with tick data - this NEVER works

This is a problem that has been around for a long time throughout multiple releases of NT over the last year (and probably before that). It is never fixed with a new version release, always occurs, and is highly repeatable.

If I have a tick-based chart open (let's say something like a 20 second chart), then almost every single time I switch instruments, the last "X" bars of data are missing. I have to repeatedly hit "Reload Historical Data" to try to get the chart to populate with the last few bars of data that NT has failed to load. Sometimes I am trading instrument A, and in order to get instrument B to populate data correctly, I have to first switch to B, then to C, then back to B. Sometimes I have to hit "Reload Historical Data" multiple times to get it to show the last few bars of data even after that. Sometimes no matter what I do, it still doesn't work. This is a very obvious, long-standing problem with the way your software interacts with your historical data server... are you guys ever going to seriously try to fix this, or is it just a case of "wait for NT7"? It impacts a person's trading when you are trying to rapidly switch instruments and the software can't do something as simple as display the last few minutes of traded data on a consistent basis when a new instrument is loaded.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JS999; 01-07-2010, 08:59 AM.

Hello JS999,

Thank you for your post.

Please answer the following questions so I may attempt to reproduce on my end.
    • What data provider are you connecting to within NinjaTrader?
    • What instruments are flipping between?
    • How are you changing instruments within your chart?
    • What time interval do you have loaded when this occurs?
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
      Hello JS999,

Thank you for your post.

Please answer the following questions so I may attempt to reproduce on my end.
      • What data provider are you connecting to within NinjaTrader?
      • What instruments are flipping between?
      • How are you changing instruments within your chart?
      • What time interval do you have loaded when this occurs?
      Christopher,

I am using Zen-Fire API with Mirus futures.

This occurs no matter which futures instruments we are talking about, you can try it with anything. I suggest CL, GC, 6B because they have wide ranges so it will be more obvious.

Regarding how the charts are set up, the easiest way to do this is to set up a a 2 minute chart, a 20 second chart, and let's say a 5 second chart. That way you have 2 tick-based charts and one minute based chart. Link them all using the colored tabs on the top right of each window so that they all load at the same time.

In terms of how I switch, it occurs no matter how you do it... you can switch using a DOM that is linked to the charts, or you can right click on one of the charts and select an instrument from your default list.

Try it out and see what you get... I have had this problem consistently for the past year across multiple installations of NT on multiple operating systems, and versions as far back as 6.5.1000.9. You can try putting a couple of moving averages on each chart so it becomes more obvious when data is missing, as I showed you in my screenshot.

Comment

You are participating on the NT7 beta program no? Please see if NT7 would work any better for you, since there had been some changes which might impact what you are observing. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
          You are participating on the NT7 beta program no? Please see if NT7 would work any better for you, since there had been some changes which might impact what you are observing. Thanks
          I could do that, but with live trading I am not so sure that running NT 7 is really a good idea, and you guys aren't officially recommending it at this point. When do you expect to actually release NT7 for official use? I know that the public beta is probably soon, but is there any estimate on a final release?

Comment

>> but is there any estimate on a final release?
            No

I believe you are running virtual machines no? Thus you should be able to test what you needed to test with NT7 without much impact on your NT6.5 installation.

Comment

>> but is there any estimate on a final release?
              No

I believe you are running virtual machines no? Thus you should be able to test what you needed to test with NT7 without much impact on your NT6.5 installation.
              True... in fact, I would say that from what I recall NT7 does seem to work better in this regard. So I am confident that you guys have probably addressed this issue in version 7 from what I can see. However, this doesn't help me in the meantime for live trading as I still have to run 6.5 as my main trading copy. I was just wondering if there is some type of fix for the issue that I described, or if I am just going to have to wait until version 7 is officially released before I can trade live with it...

Comment

Unfortunately there won't be any change/fix on NT6.5 regarding that issue.

Comment

Unfortunately there won't be any change/fix on NT6.5 regarding that issue.
                  Alright... also, just wondering, is there going to be another point release of NT 6.5 after 6.5.1000.14 before NT7 comes out, or is this likely the last one? I have another issue that can't be solved (I won't bother you with it, already talked to tech support about it at length but no solution), and I'm hoping that a .15 release may possibly solve it (you never know). Just wondering...

Comment

We will keep updating NT6.5 for the time being.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post wzgy0920  
                    Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post wzgy0920